Management Cam Neely - Bruins need to ‘flesh that out’ with regard to whether Zdeno Chara will be back

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

With the Bruins set to take the ice for training camp in less than two weeks, questions remain about whether or not Zdeno Chara will be there on Jan. 3 donning the Spoked-B for a 15th season. Neely indicated that discussions with Boston's long-time captain are ongoing.

"Well, we still have to flush that out," said Neely. "I think Zee was waiting to see what the schedule looked like, how it may impact his decision, so we're still flushing that out."

Neely added that the team is looking forward to seeing what it has in some of the young, left-shot defensemen - among them Jeremy Lauzon, Urho Vaakanainen, and Jakub Zboril - coming up through the system. With Torey Krug departing for St. Louis via free agency and Chara's status still to be determined, opportunity is there on Boston's back end.

"We do want to take a look at some of these young, left-shot D's that we have in our system to see if they can step up, or is it the time for them to step up and see where they're at in their development?" said Neely, who noted that the team continues to look at potential options - whether it be by trade or free agency - to shore up the back end.

"We certainly respect Zdeno and everything he's done for the organization and what he's accomplished as a player and what he's done both on and off the ice here in Boston…it's really just a matter of what his desire is and how the coaching staff and we feel our lineup should look like, or could look like depending on the development of some of these young guys.

"Is that something that he would be comfortable with, how we maybe envision it looking compared to maybe how he feels it may look? This is a really difficult time for anybody that is going to come off a long break and have a short training camp and jump right into a compressed schedule with a number of back to backs and, I think, 116 days to play 56 games, so there's a lot of factors in play about what makes sense for us and what makes sense for Zdeno."

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
To me that reads like the Bruins have an offer out to Chara and they're waiting on him to decide if he's going to play or retire.

Reactions: bbfan419

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Doesn't sound to me that Cam is high on signing Z. Wants the young kids to play, which I agree with. Time to move on. I love Z a great bruins and even better person, but it is what it is.

yes, but giving "hasnt touched the ice in 2 years" Kevan Miller $2.5 mill made sense?

Take a look at that LD depth chart. Nothing there holds a candle to current Chara, who ate up all the hard defensive minutes (3:05 PK/gm and a 65% d zone start)

Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Moore, Vaak, Zboril...that's a lottery pick LD not a playoff one. Krug leaving opened the spot for the kids to fight for. Losing your top PP and top PK defensemen in the same offseason is a disaster move.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
That’s not how you talk about the captain of your team. Neely is a good interview though because he’s honest and not so good at hiding things. I get it with Z’s situation but they’re foolish if they’re pressuring him at all.

If they walk away from their best offensive defenseman since Bourque and their best defensive defenseman maybe ever (obv in his last years), in the same offseason, they can’t really think they have much of a shot this year.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
To me that reads like the Bruins have an offer out to Chara and they're waiting on him to decide if he's going to play or retire.

I imagine this is a chess move, PR by the Bruins to not look bad if Chara signs elsewhere.

I would be shocked if Chara is even considering retirement.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
yes, but giving "hasnt touched the ice in 2 years" Kevan Miller $2.5 mill made sense?

Take a look at that LD depth chart. Nothing there holds a candle to current Chara, who ate up all the hard defensive minutes (3:05 PK/gm and a 65% d zone start)

Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Moore, Vaak, Zboril...that's a lottery pick LD not a playoff one. Krug leaving opened the spot for the kids to fight for. Losing your top PP and top PK defensemen in the same offseason is a disaster move.
Agreed. There are much better ways to spend 2.5 mil than on broken down Kevan Miller. I liked Miller like five years ago. To me he's always been overrated and his so-called toughness always involves the lightweights of the league. The Bruins didn't "owe" him anything. Signing him at all was suspect. Signing him on day one of free agency bordered on insane.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

"Nothing hols a candle" to Chara now. True, but he's had many years to establish his resume. Neely i ds simply saying that he wants to tske a look at these youngsters to see whether he has a diamond in the rough.

Don't remember Z when he firdt came up with Islanders, but I doubt he was a finished product at that point.

Cam has left the door open for a possible reunion.

Number6

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Chara had a decent season last year. Sure, he didn't look great during the playoffs, but well, Tampa Bay was a tough matchup for everyone, not only for Chara.

I hope he is back with the Bruins but that the team find a way to limit his minutes.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Chara had a decent season last year. Sure, he didn't look great during the playoffs, but well, Tampa Bay was a tough matchup for everyone, not only for Chara.

I hope he is back with the Bruins but that the team find a way to limit his minutes.

you cant judge any players on bubble play.

tough crowd...being 5th in the league in defensive point shares, better than Josi, Hedman, Jones, Pietrangelo, Werenski, Carlson only nets him a "decent" rating

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I agree think only if the bruins get him at his price but really wanted Hoffman but think Z could help out with the young guys
If he's re-signed it would be at the expense of a young guy. Vaak can be sent out w/o waivers. Little Z need clearance to be sent down. So he'll just have Lauzon to tutor. Not sure if the "auxiliary squad" would help them.

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
you cant judge any players on bubble play.

tough crowd...being 5th in the league in defensive point shares, better than Josi, Hedman, Jones, Pietrangelo, Werenski, Carlson only nets him a "decent" rating

You can't judge them on it but it can raise legitimate question marks. Chara was flat out bad in the bubble. He was not alone in this and it certainly shouldn't be overstated but it has to be a factor in considering his future. His regular season was ok - started pretty strong but declined toward the back end, and both the numbers and the eye test reflect that. A good part of his continuing effectiveness has been down pure and simple to the exceptional ability of Charlie McAvoy to cover Chara's limitations.

Big Z is at an age when 99.9999% of pro athletes playing contact sports have already retired, many of them years earlier. There's a reason for that. He's a biological freak and an incredibly hard worker, but even these things have limits as to how far they can carry you. At some point he's going to slip from declining but still useful to outright detrimental to the team, and it could happen very quickly. Management have to weigh up the risks of when that point may arrive and what it will mean.

I'm not at all against him getting one more year if the circumstances are right, and he's more than earned the right to go out on his own terms. But sport like life is no fairytale, especially in these difficult and extraordinary times, and Sweeney and Neely are going to have to determine what's best for the team as dispassionately as possible.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You can't judge them on it but it can raise legitimate question marks. Chara was flat out bad in the bubble. He was not alone in this and it certainly shouldn't be overstated but it has to be a factor in considering his future. His regular season was ok - started pretty strong but declined toward the back end, and both the numbers and the eye test reflect that. A good part of his continuing effectiveness has been down pure and simple to the exceptional ability of Charlie McAvoy to cover Chara's limitations.

Big Z is at an age when 99.9999% of pro athletes playing contact sports have already retired, many of them years earlier. There's a reason for that. He's a biological freak and an incredibly hard worker, but even these things have limits as to how far they can carry you. At some point he's going to slip from declining but still useful to outright detrimental to the team, and it could happen very quickly. Management have to weigh up the risks of when that point may arrive and what it will mean.

I'm not at all against him getting one more year if the circumstances are right, and he's more than earned the right to go out on his own terms. But sport like life is no fairytale, especially in these difficult and extraordinary times, and Sweeney and Neely are going to have to determine what's best for the team as dispassionately as possible.

One of the saddest things I ever saw was Willie Mays playing at 42

Root

Feb 22, 2010
So what happens when neither Zboril or Vaak show they can play in the NHL? Left side is Gryz, Lauzon and Moore? Ouch.

Guessing the Bruins would take Chara back at short money and are telling him he is only going to play half the games. I hope they can work it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad