Prospect Info: Cam Hillis

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Good point. Guys may have skills, but it depends who they’re playing with too. Sometimes, stats get overblown. Look at Fucale. Ridiculous stats for 2 seasons in the Q. People were thinking he was the second coming. Now he’s languishing in the ECHL.
I know what you mean but Fucales stats were pretty average. He averaged under a 900 save percentage.

You have a point though. The good news is that Guelph isn't exactly a powerhouse and neither are Hillis' linemates. This could be a case of a guy who's putting it all together after overcoming injury issues.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
He fell down a lot of people's depth chart. It's nice to see that he doesn't seem to be too affected by the injury. He's probably regained the place he was supposed to occupy on our depth chart by now I'd guess.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Good point. Guys may have skills, but it depends who they’re playing with too. Sometimes, stats get overblown. Look at Fucale. Ridiculous stats for 2 seasons in the Q. People were thinking he was the second coming. Now he’s languishing in the ECHL.
I think they took Fucale after that great comeback in '12 Playoffs against Roy's Remparts. Timmins was in the dressing room when they were down 3-0 in series. Fucale rallied his team in dressing room. It had an affect on Timmins.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
what's hurt Hillis is his consistency, in 9 games he has 27 freaking points. That's f***ing insane. In the other 10 games he has 3 pts. Granted he's having a great season with a 1.58 ppg which is just sick in it's own right as it's right there with Suzuki's last year but he had the benefit of being traded as he was at a 1.59 overall but a 1.5 with OS and a 1.69 with the Storm. Now that his team is in 1st place and are the hottest team in the OHL right now, I'm guessing he won't be traded any time soon. I wonder what happened there as the game I saw vs the Soo the Storm looked like shit and now they just rattled off 9 in row.

Reactions: 26Mats

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
what's hurt Hillis is his consistency, in 9 games he has 27 freaking points. That's ****ing insane. In the other 10 games he has 3 pts. Granted he's having a great season with a 1.58 ppg which is just sick in it's own right as it's right there with Suzuki's last year but he had the benefit of being traded as he was at a 1.59 overall but a 1.5 with OS and a 1.69 with the Storm. Now that his team is in 1st place and are the hottest team in the OHL right now, I'm guessing he won't be traded any time soon. I wonder what happened there as the game I saw vs the Soo the Storm looked like **** and now they just rattled off 9 in row.
I really thought the Storm would be weak this year due to losing a bunch of key players. Hillis and Gogolev just clicked. Nico Daws has been lights out in net. Chayka and Gordeev anchoring the back end

Imagine if these guys were playing at this level last year with Suzuki, Ratcliff, Schnarr, Samoroukov etc...

Reactions: montreal

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I liked him the most out of the CHLers the Habs drafted in his draft year. Last year was mainly lost to injuries. It would be great if he could make himself relevant again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Interesting season Hillis is having. I'm assuming he is playing with Gogolev? Who's making who better on that team? Both Hillis and Gogolev have substantially more points then the 3rd guy on the Storm. Gogolev not drafted or signed either as far as I can tell.

Got to admit... Gogolev is a pretty cool name

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Interesting season Hillis is having. I'm assuming he is playing with Gogolev? Who's making who better on that team? Both Hillis and Gogolev have substantially more points then the 3rd guy on the Storm. Gogolev not drafted or signed either as far as I can tell.

I gogolev his name on google and I didnt find anything

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

They're both play drivers. I've payed more attention to Hillis and really like his game. He's quick and constantly makes the right plays. Good vision, decent shot and smart defensively. Really well rounded. He's a dark horse for the Habs.

Gogo would be a great pickup for the Habs. He's similar to Hillis in a lot of ways which is why I think they're clicking so well. His issue was consistency but that seems like it's been resolved. He's faster than Hillis and has a harder shot but maybe his decision making wasn't where it needed to be last year. This is exactly the kind of no risk high reward pickup the Habs should be making. Having Hillis would give us the inside track too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They're both play drivers. I've payed more attention to Hillis and really like his game. He's quick and constantly makes the right plays. Good vision, decent shot and smart defensively. Really well rounded. He's a dark horse for the Habs.

Gogo would be a great pickup for the Habs. He's similar to Hillis in a lot of ways which is why I think they're clicking so well. His issue was consistency but that seems like it's been resolved. He's faster than Hillis and has a harder shot but maybe his decision making wasn't where it needed to be last year. This is exactly the kind of no risk high reward pickup the Habs should be making. Having Hillis would give us the inside track too.

The only issue with signing Gogo is 50 contract limit and how many rookies will want to insert into Laval next year. Bergevin needs to manage that very carefully

Thanks for the breakdown on Hillis and Gogo though! I was curious

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's on pace for 100 pts in 64 games, same production as Suzuki had in junior

He has 39 pts in his last 20, basically 2ppg

What I like the most about his age 19 season is him and Gogolev are leading the charge with a substantial gap to the 3rd production guy on the Storm. All I can see with him though... I'd love to give him the eye test cause I have not seen him play live or on TV once!

Anybody want to give a scouting report on him? Pros and Cons?

eTx1wvG.jpg

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What I like the most about his age 19 season is him and Gogolev are leading the charge with a substantial gap to the 3rd production guy on the Storm. All I can see with him though... I'd love to give him the eye test cause I have not seen him play live or on TV once!

Anybody want to give a scouting report on him? Pros and Cons?

eTx1wvG.jpg

He lacks height but plays hard, is willing to get his nose dirty, not overly aggressive just won't shy away from going to the prime scoring areas. His playmaking is his bread and butter, skating has improved to where it's above average and a non issue. Works hard at both ends of the ice, is a smart player.

Reactions: DangerDave

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He lacks height but plays hard, is willing to get his nose dirty, not overly aggressive just won't shy away from going to the prime scoring areas. His playmaking is his bread and butter, skating has improved to where it's above average and a non issue. Works hard at both ends of the ice, is a smart player.

I'm also assuming based on his goal stats that he don't have a great shot? He's perfect for us :sarcasm:

Frankc

Jan 9, 2005
Montreal

Were you talking about Suzuki or Hillis? I'm confused :P

Reactions: Toene

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm also assuming based on his goal stats that he don't have a great shot? He's perfect for us :sarcasm:

It really is important that we have Caufield in the system. Hey, we may have Tatar and Gallagher for two more years after this, in which case Caufield would be joining them. That would give us a goal scorer on each line - plus Suzuki, Drouin, Domi, Kotkaniemi, and Poehling.

Looking at that, I'm not actually so worried about us scoring goals.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
He reminds me exactly like gallagher. Tries really hard, never gives up, smaller player, doesnt have the best shot but drives to the net and will get goals that way

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He reminds me exactly like gallagher. Tries really hard, never gives up, smaller player, doesnt have the best shot but drives to the net and will get goals that way

He is nothing like Gallagher as he is a pure playmaker whereas Gallagher never saw a shooting opportunity that he didn't like. Stylistically he is much more like a poor man's Koivu as he competes but is always looking to set up the pass.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is nothing like Gallagher as he is a pure playmaker whereas Gallagher never saw a shooting opportunity that he didn't like. Stylistically he is much more like a poor man's Koivu as he competes but is always looking to set up the pass.

From what I know about Hillis, this is accurate. I was very disappointed he didn't play Memorial Cup last year cause I wanted to see him play live. If the Habs ever get in a trade and we acquire someone (Hall for example), I can see Hillis being part of the package. A decent grade B trending well don't have much value on his own but in a trade package to a team that don't have a deep playoff pool, they would take him for sure IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad