Player Discussion Cam Fowler

DaDucks*

Concerned about making a mistake. (HF's stance)

Concerned about making mistake because confidence in ability is too low. (not Hf's stance)

DaDucks*

The denial is strong in this one.

I've stayed out of this so far, but let's take a look, shall we?

1. You said Fowler's shot couldn't improve. Not wouldn't. Couldn't. A player either has it, or he doesn't. That's what you said. You even said Sbisa was more likely to become a smarter player, than it was likely Fowler's shot would improve.

You were wrong. Fowler's shot has improved, so it obviously can. I haven't seen enough of Sbisa lately to say he hasn't been playing smarter on a more consistent basis, but I have seen enough of him to say he's still an idiot.

2. You said Fowler was afraid of being hit. To the point where you actually said you could see him retiring to avoid playing a more physical game. The ridiculousness of that aside, you dismissed the possibility that he was just playing conservatively because he was afraid of making mistakes. No, not afraid. Afraid of making mistakes.

You were wrong. Only now you're actually trying to completely ignore what Fowler said, or what he has shown in his play, to suggest that you're right and he'll just never admit it.

3. You scoffed at the possibility of Fowler ever being a #1 defenseman.

Here we are, and he's, at the very least, on the cusp of becoming exactly that.

You're 0 for 3 here, DaDucks, and hilariously, you're still trying to take the stand that you're right. Or, if not right, more right than others. Like I said, hilarious. I'm not going to pat myself on the back here. All I did was use logic against you. Common sense. There was no great insight here. But man, you are really embarrassing yourself here.

Holy edit batman..

1. his shots have improved, results have not. I'll admit that.

2. Retracted years ago.

3. He's our number 1 by circumstance, his results have not changed.

Knowing what we know now, how is it embarrassing to doubt a player that has had confidence issues?

All of your excuses the last 4 years were wrong.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Wait, are you suggesting he hasn't improved as a player? Because if that's the case, you're just burying your head in the sand to avoid seeing what's going on around you.

Edit: BTW - How can you say you retracted 2. "years ago" when there is a quote of you saying it this year? Are you trying so hard to revise history here that you're blatantly ignoring that fact? Is it so difficult for you to accept that you're wrong? I mean, it's one thing to be in denial that you're wrong because of semantics, and it's another to attempt to rewrite history in your self-deception. And that's exactly what it is. You aren't fooling anyone else here, so the only person you're kidding is yourself.

Last edited:

DaDucks*

Holy edit batman..

1. his shots have improved, results have not. I'll admit that. Retracted your second point years ago.

2.I still think he's afraid to be hit, it's open if he'll retire early.

3. He's our number 1 by circumstance, his results have not changed.

Knowing what we know now, how is it embarrassing to doubt a player that has had confidence issues?

All of your excuses the last 4 years were wrong.

To answer the question on whether I think he's improved.... Please note the backhanded compliment this time. You still think I'm out to fool people? Wow.

I'll second this.

Nothing "generally good" seems to happen when he's on the ice, (if that's important to penguin fans) he's taken great strides this year to look really good at defending. So please in the future, ignore all stats that might seem damaging to Cam. Whether the team wins three division titles in a row or finishes last, it's certainly not his fault that he continues to have questionable stats year in and year out. (In terms of a very good player)

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think it drives you bananas that you've been so wrong, so consistently, and people call you out on it. So you take shots at him every opportunity you can, because it's all you can throw at him now. I think you denied having an agenda, and when you were presented with so much evidence that you have one, you're trying to embrace it now and pretend it was the plan all along. And I think you'll pat yourself on the back at the first opportunity that you think is applicable(see: this thread), but you'll vehemently deny that you were wrong, even going so far as trying to revise history(see: this thread).

DaDucks*

I have no problem admitting his shot, defensive play etc has improved. That's so petty and minor. You're not thinking big picture here. That's so minuscule compared to the last 4 years of you jumping down anyone that has criticized Cam and the B.S. excuses you've been feeding people.... I look forward to the future where just like any skilled player, he's responsible for his own play and open to fair criticisms.

This is over.

PCDiesel

Jun 17, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm sorry if this has already been stated here, but am I in the minority here? My expectations for Fowler were very high, but I just haven't seen the same offensive dynamic ability that he had as a rookie until that Doan hit to the head. Is it that or a combination of coaching and or D partners?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm sorry if this has already been stated here, but am I in the minority here? My expectations for Fowler were very high, but I just haven't seen the same offensive dynamic ability that he had as a rookie until that Doan hit to the head. Is it that or a combination of coaching and or D partners?

If you're expecting dynamic play akin to Vatanen, that was never going to happen. That's not his game, and it never was. As a rookie, that was offense that came at the expense of defense. His growth and development in the NHL put a lot more emphasis on defense, and as we've seen he's grown into a very good defensive player.

As far as realistic expectations go, I think you need to look at his past seasons for a taste of that. In 2013-2014 he was on pace for 40+ points, but due to an injury he fell short. Last season, despite a poor first half, and an overly conservative offensive game, he still put up 34 points. Based on his play so far this season, I suspect that if Anaheim were scoring Fowler would be on pace for another 40+ season. When you look at his ability in the D zone, and how he can move the puck, 40+ points from him would put him in the upper echelons as an all-around defenseman.

I also agree with Eddie, that there's still a bit more he can do, and he may be able to hit 50 points at some point. The potential is there, at least. Fowler is more of a puck distributor, and puck mover, and his point totals were/are always going to rely on other players being able to finish. Even with the improvement he's made with his slapshot/one-timer, you're still looking mostly for re-directs and rebounds.

Expecting more than that might just be unrealistic. A defenseman who is consistently putting up 55+ points, with great two-way play, is going to be a perennial Norris candidate.

PCDiesel

Jun 17, 2011
Boston, MA
If you're expecting dynamic play akin to Vatanen, that was never going to happen. That's not his game, and it never was. As a rookie, that was offense that came at the expense of defense. His growth and development in the NHL put a lot more emphasis on defense, and as we've seen he's grown into a very good defensive player.

As far as realistic expectations go, I think you need to look at his past seasons for a taste of that. In 2013-2014 he was on pace for 40+ points, but due to an injury he fell short. Last season, despite a poor first half, and an overly conservative offensive game, he still put up 34 points. Based on his play so far this season, I suspect that if Anaheim were scoring Fowler would be on pace for another 40+ season. When you look at his ability in the D zone, and how he can move the puck, 40+ points from him would put him in the upper echelons as an all-around defenseman.

I also agree with Eddie, that there's still a bit more he can do, and he may be able to hit 50 points at some point. The potential is there, at least. Fowler is more of a puck distributor, and puck mover, and his point totals were/are always going to rely on other players being able to finish. Even with the improvement he's made with his slapshot/one-timer, you're still looking mostly for re-directs and rebounds.

Expecting more than that might just be unrealistic. A defenseman who is consistently putting up 55+ points, with great two-way play, is going to be a perennial Norris candidate.

Okay, thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it!

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Fowler could easily score more points, but not on this team. It would have to be a fast, transition type team.

He's not so good in the "offense in the zone" type style we play.

DaDucks*

Yeah, just go back to the season where we set a franchise record for scoring...lol

DaDucks*

Fowler could easily score more points, but not on this team. It would have to be a fast, transition type team.

He's not so good in the "offense in the zone" type style we play.

Hmm... Sounds like he's tradable after all?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm gonna be so pissed if Fowler is traded. I would seriously stop watching this team for a while... If anything the guy should have a letter on his jersey. He leads on the ice and constantly deals with the media after losses.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I'm gonna be so pissed if Fowler is traded. I would seriously stop watching this team for a while... If anything the guy should have a letter on his jersey. He leads on the ice and constantly deals with the media after losses.

agreed. in Nhl 16 he's wearing my C

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
Hmm... Sounds like he's tradable after all?

Now that the Ducks have finally found their #1 defense man, you want to trade him? Hopefully, Cam signs extension when contract runs out and he becomes all time leader in scoring for defense men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad