Cam Fowler would be your team's #? defenseman?

?

• Total voters

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
Wtf kind of nicknames are those? You don't even have anything in your username or avatar to indicate the team you're referring to...

I'm assuming LA, but could be anyone's guess.
yeah, LA. Dewey=Drew Doughty AMart=Alec Martinez.
thanks for reminding me that I hadn't picked an avatar yet. Probably gonna be an image of Quick for Team USA

Reactions: CanadianSharks

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Sounds like a cop out if I ever heard one.
Sure explains how the Ducks look so much better under a guy that hasn't coached more than a pee wee team and have a winning record since firing the guy.

Maybe leave presumptions and analysis to the people that actually watch the team. You asked a question, I gave you an answer.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
That's because you hate the Leafs.

Corsica (rip) & EvolvingWild both had them rated higher. Also, underlying stats are in their favour.
Or maybe its because I think Fowler is the better player.

Also, you're one to talk. You've never gone against the leafs in your life. Easily one of the biggest homers on this entire site (and that's saying something).

Khrox

May 31, 2018
On the Flames currently? I'd say a 3/4 spot (Gio and Hammer are definitely ahead of him, and I'd say Brodie/Fowler would be same tier overall. As was stated before, with chemistry on our team, Fowler would be playing third pairing though). But if we take into account that we have 3 guys actively playing who are 22 or younger (Hanifin, Andersson, and Kylington), and under contract for a few years (two of which are rookies), I'd say in 2 years or so he'd be a solid 4/5 on our team.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Sure explains how the Ducks look so much better under a guy that hasn't coached more than a pee wee team and have a winning record since firing the guy.

Maybe leave presumptions and analysis to the people that actually watch the team. You asked a question, I gave you an answer.
Most teams go on a mini hot streak after a coaching change. We will see how they close out the season.

Any team that supposedly boasts 4 top pairing D and the best goalie in the league does not go on a run like they did regardless of coach. The only logical conclusion is that their D are overrated.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Or maybe its because I think Fowler is the better player.

Also, you're one to talk. You've never gone against the leafs in your life. Easily one of the biggest homers on this entire site (and that's saying something).

Then you're incorrect.

I think you have the wrong guy.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Most teams go on a mini hot streak after a coaching change. We will see how they close out the season.

Any team that supposedly boasts 4 top pairing D and the best goalie in the league does not go on a run like they did regardless of coach. The only logical conclusion is that their D are overrated.
Or they were being sent out by a coach not properly keeping them conditioned and with a broken and outdated defensive system/strategy structure. These same three guys are not far removed from being one of the top shot suppressing defenses in the league. But the longer the team was in Carlyle's hands, the worse they got defensively.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Or they were being sent out by a coach not properly keeping them conditioned and with a broken and outdated defensive system/strategy structure. These same three guys are not far removed from being one of the top shot suppressing defenses in the league. But the longer the team was in Carlyle's hands, the worse they got defensively.
Fair enough, pretty good point. Interested to see what they’ll be like going forward. Hard to believe Carlyle’s system could have that much of an impact especially considering Gibson was playing so well. Possible I guess though.

As a Ducks guy do you have Fowler as their second best Dman?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Fair enough, pretty good point. Interested to see what they’ll be like going forward. Hard to believe Carlyle’s system could have that much of an impact especially considering Gibson was playing so well. Possible I guess though.

As a Ducks guy do you have Fowler as their second best Dman?
As Anaheim's? No. Third behind Lindholm and Manson.

But yes the progression was steady into a total decline to shit. Just look up shot heat charts from the last three years. The longer Carlyle was coach the closer the vast volume of shots were to Gibson.

And it's not just vapid outdated strategies. There was a significant morale problem, the players seemed to be on the lowest end of physical fitness relative to the rest of the league, and just to go back more specifically to strategy, Carlyle was mandated with making the team faster. His idea of faster was having the forwards cheat up high in the defensive zone to get a head start once the puck turned over leaving two guys to defend a majority of the defensive zone. Added into the fact that passing was declining all around it resulted in a shit ton of shots and open ice passes from very close in front. It was a nightmare watching it unfold.

There's more to defending in the modern NHL than the individual talent of the blueliners. Today's successful NHL defense is marked by a hybrid collapse/puck press defense that emphasizes diligent+structured team positioning and sticks cutting off passing/shooting lanes. Carlyle refused to implement this style, and the results have shown.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
No, yes and sometimes.

It's really a simple game most of the times.

You don't need crutches or exotic paraphernalia to determine the better players.

So tell me how you can base a comparison of two players (i assume aren't on your team), where you say "I use the eye test" and definitvely say one is better than the other.

Sure it's pretty easy to say someone like McDavid is better that almost anyone, but really how many Anaheim games do you watch, vs how many Leaf games?

These "exotic paraphernalia" show what happened to the player while they were on the ice, what they did to impact it, and how they better/worsen their team.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
So tell me how you can base a comparison of two players (i assume aren't on your team), where you say "I use the eye test" and definitvely say one is better than the other.

Sure it's pretty easy to say someone like McDavid is better that almost anyone, but really how many Anaheim games do you watch, vs how many Leaf games?

These "exotic paraphernalia" show what happened to the player while they were on the ice, what they did to impact it, and how they better/worsen their team.
Assuming for the sake of arguments that these "advanced stats" are not the Emperor's New Clothes, what about the data compilation, the differences from rink to rink, the human error aspect... ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad