Cam Barker should go 2nd in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
I can't see this guy not going 2nd overall behind Ovechkin. IMO he is the next most talented player, and factor in that he is a d-man. Teams are always looking for young d-men. He is by far and away the top defenseman available in the draft. I just thought I would mention this because I see lots of people with him only as high as 4th or 5th on their lists.

leafaholix*

I don't see it... I really can't see him going any higher then 4... behind Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I agree with you. Barker I think has the most potiental of the top 4. There are not many d man after either.I have been saying this for months now that Barker will either go 2 or 3. I really cant see Olesz going before him. He has it all and would really be a great addition to any teams blueline.

st_roland

go pierre hedin said:
I don't see it... I really can't see him going any higher then 4... behind Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz.

I disagree, I see barker going 3rd, unless the concussion Olesz suffered at the WJCs turns out much better than expected.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
It depends on who's picking second. For example if Pittsburgh need a blue chip scoring forward, and if they were to pick second, I'd say Olesz or Malkin would be their choice. On the other hand, if a team like Chicago picks second, I would not at all be surprised to see Barker go 2nd overall.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
All depends on the team that's drafting really...if Pittsburgh gets the second pick there's no way in hell he's being taken...I hope(I love Barker but the last thing the Penguins need is a defenseman at this point).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yes. At least until one of the two (Malkin or Barker) really start to separate themselves from the rest of the pack.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
The 5 worst team in the NHL now are Pitts, Columbus, Washington, Chicago and Anaheim.

The first pick will be Ovechkin so who will have the first pick will take him.
Then I think you must look at what these teams need:

Pittsburgh need something in every position so they will go with the best prospect they could reach (Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz if healthy, Barker)

Columbus: after Nash and Zherdev a good d-man like Barker would be a good choice.

Washington: Despite the struggling offense, they have Jagr, Lang, Bondra and many others scorers. Instead their defense is weak and Barker would be definitely a very good fit.

Chicago: again, their defense is pretty weak (despite Berard) but even the offense is not so good IMO. They are supposed to pick someone around the 4th so if Barker is available he would be their man.

Anaheim: need a d-man and a power forward. If possible they would pick Malkin or Barker.

So, at the end I think that Barker has a good chance to be picked 2nd, especially if Washington will have that pick.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
I definitely think Barker should be the 2nd overall pick with the only exception being if Pittsburgh has the pick as they have some great young "D" prospects already. If he slips to the 4th or 5th pick, that team will be laughin' to the bank!!! :bow:

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
To continue with the same theme...

If Pittsburgh does not win the lottery, and picks 2nd (assuming worst record in the league), and do not get Ovechkin, I'd think they'd dangle the #2 pick to whoever is REALLY after Barker. Similar to last season, they game up an extra pick and 3rd/4th line type player to move up to the 1st spot.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Woobie82 said:
Similar to last season, they game up an extra pick and 3rd/4th line type player to move up to the 1st spot.

With Ovechkin on the draft I don't think that the team which will win the lottery will be willing to trade the first pick.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Fighter said:
With Ovechkin on the draft I don't think that the team which will win the lottery will be willing to trade the first pick.

His post says that if Pittsburgh loses the lottery and picks 2nd they would trade the pick. Not that they would trade the first pick.

Big Cat Davo

Oct 7, 2003
Medicine Hat, Albert
Visit site
Thanks fella

Great . . . so either you are being a supreme smartass or you are being honest . . . if it is the first give yourself a pat on the back, jerk. If it was the latter what team does this other Cam Barker play for?

Dave

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Big Cat Davo said:
Great . . . so either you are being a supreme smartass or you are being honest . . . if it is the first give yourself a pat on the back, jerk. If it was the latter what team does this other Cam Barker play for?

Dave

There is no "other Cam Barker" - I assume you have some idea of the top picks around for this summer's draft. So, why would you ask in the first place?

Big Cat Davo

Oct 7, 2003
Medicine Hat, Albert
Visit site
Just making sure

I was just making sure, I watch Cam Barker with the Tigers on a semi regular basis, and I will tell you that he has done nothing in my mind to warant a second over all selection in the upcoming draft. I will admit his number look pretty good. But I do not see a sure fire pic. I see a big risk. This kid is constantly in low gear. He never hustles, make plenty of poor decisions, and when the game was on the l;ine last night it was not Barker on the ice, it was Marr and Day on the ice. Sure he produces points, but he sees a lot of pp time. I see a Steve McCarthy, Nolan Baumgartner or Chris Phillips, not a Derek Morris or even a Wade Redden for that matter.

Dave

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Big Cat Davo said:
I was just making sure, I watch Cam Barker with the Tigers on a semi regular basis, and I will tell you that he has done nothing in my mind to warant a second over all selection in the upcoming draft. I will admit his number look pretty good. But I do not see a sure fire pic. I see a big risk. This kid is constantly in low gear. He never hustles, make plenty of poor decisions, and when the game was on the l;ine last night it was not Barker on the ice, it was Marr and Day on the ice. Sure he produces points, but he sees a lot of pp time. I see a Steve McCarthy, Nolan Baumgartner or Chris Phillips, not a Derek Morris or even a Wade Redden for that matter.
Dave

HF: One of those defensemen that a lot of people are talking about is Cam Barker. Can you compare him to the three big D-men from last year (Ryan Suter, Braydon Coburn and Dion Phaneuf) and say that he is that caliber of player?

KP: Well I think he has a chance to be. He struggled early on this year but he’s gotten better over the last six weeks. I think if he were in a draft with those three guys from last year he would be fourth on the list of most teams. It’s a different year and he brings different things to the table and I think Cam’s probably going to go in the top 15 in this year’s draft

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6545&mode=threaded&order=0

Unless he's trying to completely snow everyone I wouldn't except to see him in the top five picks. I don't think the RLR has him in the top ten right now either.

If anyone cares I think I have him at about 10 on my own list. :D

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Pittsburgh need something in every position so they will go with the best prospect they could reach (Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz if healthy, Barker)
I disagree with you. The Penguins are set in goal, obviously, and their blueline depth is amongst the best in the league (prospects-wise). They have a crapload of young forwards that project to be good-3rd-liners/solid-2nd-liners but no real bluechippers, save for a few kids with a little bit higher upside like Anshakov and Bartschi.

That doesn't mean they won't take Barker, but he'd really have to be rated significantly higher than a Malkin or Olesz to the Penguins scouts. At this point, that doesn't appear to be the case. They're obviously hoping for Ovechkin, but are probably penciling in Malkin.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Jacobv2 said:
I disagree with you. The Penguins are set in goal, obviously, and their blueline depth is amongst the best in the league (prospects-wise). They have a crapload of young forwards that project to be good-3rd-liners/solid-2nd-liners but no real bluechippers, save for a few kids with a little bit higher upside like Anshakov and Bartschi.

That doesn't mean they won't take Barker, but he'd really have to be rated significantly higher than a Malkin or Olesz to the Penguins scouts. At this point, that doesn't appear to be the case. They're obviously hoping for Ovechkin, but are probably penciling in Malkin.

Maybe I was too harsh against the Pens, anyway they have a legit shot to pick first overall Ovechkin. But if they have no luck in the lottery and they pick fourth for example, with Ovechkin, Malkin and Olesz probably already gone, I could see them picking Barker.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
I think some of the worse teams in the NHL will go with the concept of taking the best player available at any position. However, if they do not opt to do so, they may end up trading down or trading up into a spot where they think they can get the player of their preference. While, defense appears to be the need of most teams, I highly doubt teams will pass up on a better player than to just fit a top prospect into a position that they are looking to fill. The NHL is not the NBA, players take longer to develop and not too many players jump up into the NHL the following year (for the exception of this past draft, 2003).

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
slats432 said:
His post says that if Pittsburgh loses the lottery and picks 2nd they would trade the pick. Not that they would trade the first pick.

Thanks slats....that is what I was trying to get at. The Pens, IMO, will not take Barker, @ #2, if they lose the lottery (and have the worst record).

For example, if the teams sitting @ #3 and #4 both want Barker, the #4 team would need to move up to the #2 spot to get him, otherwise he wouldn't fall past the other team wanting him, @ #3. (WOW, that is confusing to read!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad