Cam Barker should go 2nd in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I'm thinking that Barker will slip in the draft, I'm sorry but if you look around the NHL there are way too many quality goaltenders, now and for the future...the market isn't as good...a team would be wiser to take the offense or stud dman.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Fighter said:
But if they have no luck in the lottery and they pick fourth for example, with Ovechkin, Malkin and Olesz probably already gone, I could see them picking Barker.

Lowest they could pick if they lose the lottery is second.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Big Cat Davo said:
I was just making sure, I watch Cam Barker with the Tigers on a semi regular basis, and I will tell you that he has done nothing in my mind to warant a second over all selection in the upcoming draft. I will admit his number look pretty good. But I do not see a sure fire pic. I see a big risk. This kid is constantly in low gear. He never hustles, make plenty of poor decisions, and when the game was on the l;ine last night it was not Barker on the ice, it was Marr and Day on the ice. Sure he produces points, but he sees a lot of pp time. I see a Steve McCarthy, Nolan Baumgartner or Chris Phillips, not a Derek Morris or even a Wade Redden for that matter.

Dave

McCarthy and Baumgarthner are a pretty rough comparaision. But IMHO, he's not a 2003 Top 3 kind of talent and cetainly not a J-Bo type of playe as I red here a few days ago.

However that's the first time I eard about him as bad as that. (several bad decision, dosent having the faith of the coach in critical situation etc...)

Have you seen a lot of game?
It could have been a bad one?

BJ21

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
balddog66 said:
I'm thinking that Barker will slip in the draft, I'm sorry but if you look around the NHL there are way too many quality goaltenders, now and for the future...the market isn't as good...a team would be wiser to take the offense or stud dman.

??? :dunno:

Barker was still a D-man the last time I eard about him. :D

We never know, Wendel Clark has benn drafted as a d-man and Phill Housley as a Centerman... :D

Maybe Barker have some hidden Goalie skills......

BJ21

Hoffer

Dec 23, 2003
British Columbia
Olesz

Hits like Phaneuf made on Olesz will happen more and more in the NHL, therefore Olesz's stock goes down and will be picked later in the top 12, guys like Stafford, Schremp (even with the hoop-la), and Barker will be higher.

Big Cat Davo

Oct 7, 2003
Medicine Hat, Albert
Visit site
Around 20

I stand by it. Maybe if the Tigers were down by a goal Barker would have been on the ice. But they were up one and he is terrible in his own end. In the game in question (Tuesday against Vancouver) The last shift he saw was about three minutes left. He picked the puck up behind the net, and rather than the responsible off the glass and out (Vancouver had been applying sustained preassure) he put the puck on the tape of the vancouver d man in the high slot . . . it was his last shift of the night. I have seen around 20 games, he is a very smooth puckhandler, but the low gear thing is not a word of a lie. He never hustles. I have never seen soembody move slow slowly when skating back into his own end on the PP. His biggest fault, or area of improvement is his passing, 1 out of every 10 make it onto the targets stick. The other 9 are all over the place, behind the guy in his feet . . . not a first round type thing at all . . . maybe someday he will develope, and if the draft is weak enough, and I will admit I do not know alot about the other prospects, that Barker does go up high the team that drafts him will have a long term project on their hands.

Dave

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Ovechkin Malkin and Olesz are the consensus rankings 1-2-3 on practically everyone's lists ranking this draft at the top....however whether the teams picking 1-2-3 stay with the "BPA" concept or go for position need with a D-man (probably Barker over Lepisto due to size) or trade their pick (#1 overall =OVECHKIN certainly won't get traded down) for picks+ players remains to be seen......I don't know what PIT or CBJ would do if the did not get Ovechkin.......WASH's D-corps after Gonchar is putrid=so they might trade down a bit and take Barker (ie. might move from 2nd to 4th in a trade down) if they don't get Ovechkin...PIT probably needs a new offensive star to sell tickets to fans (D-men don't) --but they may opt for quantity picks and trade down if they fail to land Ovechkin at #1overall after lotto....CBJ in theory has 2 young offensive stars in Nash and Zherdev --time to focus on helping the D-corps? So I can see again a trade down from # 2 after lotto
to #3 or #4 and take Barker UNLESS they believe in the adage always take the BPA
(MALKIN) ......CHICAGO --yes the current D-corps is putrid--but with Babchuk,Barinka,Seabrook,Lasse Kukkone,Duncan Keith,Wisniewski, McCarthy (now injured and out of the current line-up but had become one of the better Hawks 'd-men before going out with injury) ,Kantee, and maybe Jaaskelainen (currently on the 1st D-pairing for Ilves in the Sm-liiga) ---you can see that the future D-corps of the Blackhawks is going to be a lot better than the current shambles.......AND with ZHAMNOV probably going to be traded by the March deadline,and with questions as to which young centre in the organization can assume the #1 line centre position(Arnason?Yakubov? Ruutu moving from wing? Viuhkola currently 3rd in SM-liiga scoring?) well--you can see a lot is still up in the air if any of these can become a "star" in the #1 centre position for the Blackhawks---as a result,I cannot see the Blackhawks passing up a top skilled centre in Malkin or a skilled power centre in Olesz if they have the chance at drafting 2nd or 3rd overall........they might even TRADE UP if need be (if after lotto they are drafting 4th or thereafter) to get one of these 2 centres...unless something is happening with Kyle Chipchura that I wasn't aware of ---I see he's the #1 ranked NA skater by Central Scouting and he is a big centre ......the next centre they have is Rob Schremp at #7 NA skater and he has 2 strikes against him= not that big and a bad rep/attitude problem on some scouts lists (see Kyle Woodlief's of Redline's tirade against him in his USA today rankings)... I guess every NHL team's scouts and ourselves will get to assess Chipchura and Schremp at the top prospects ganme--I doubt either can supplant Malkin or Olesz in the centre rankings--but whether either is good enough POSITION -wise to by-pass a Barker is another question .......SO Chicago could:

1. Trade UP for Malkin or Olesz if they fail on Ovechkin and don't have an outright
shot at either from the #2 or #3 overall...
OR

2. Take the best ranked centre from #4 or thereafter .....

OR

3. Take BARKER if drafting # 4 or #5 or #6 and he's still on the board (old adage: you can never have too many D-men) ......

If the Blackhawks fail on Ovechkin (the hockey gods probably won't allow it-ie. a bottom 4 AND a lotto win) --then Malkin or Olesz would be great fits .....but if they can't get either of those too,then having another prime D-man prospect in a Barker would be an ok consolation.......unless of course we are all dazzled by Chipchura in the TopProspects Game and for the remainder of his season ....

Of course,if the Blackhawks get none of these (an improbable late season run up the standings?) then this "season from hell" will have been all for nought....Somehow the Hockey Gods would be deemed very cruel (to Blackhawks fans anyway) if that should happen,andto rub it in CBJ ends up with Ovechkin--when they already have a Nash and a Zherdev...but who said life was fair?

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
yeah my bad...not enough coffee

BlackJack21 said:
??? :dunno:

Barker was still a D-man the last time I eard about him. :D

We never know, Wendel Clark has benn drafted as a d-man and Phill Housley as a Centerman... :D

Maybe Barker have some hidden Goalie skills......

BJ21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->