Cam Barker Discussion

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
a bit slow in the defensive end but i'm sure that would come around with consistent playing time. Really like what he brings offensively, very calm with the puck and always get the shot through or on net. Definitely want to see him more on the pp.

Considering alberts is basically just a big pylon id much rather see barker. IF alberts actually used his size and was more like Hal Gill then i would be in favour of him.

Thats what I've noticed the most...

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
a bit slow in the defensive end but i'm sure that would come around with consistent playing time. Really like what he brings offensively, very calm with the puck and always get the shot through or on net. Definitely want to see him more on the pp.

Considering alberts is basically just a big pylon id much rather see barker. IF alberts actually used his size and was more like Hal Gill then i would be in favour of him.

I don't know why but this really cracked me up :biglaugh:

Yeah I liked the signing at the time and I like it now, isn't as bad as some people here think, he has been fine.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Barker looks unsure of himself without the puck but when he does get it he's doing a lot more good things with it than Andrew Alberts ever has. As of right now he looks like the teams #7 IMO. Not a bad start for him.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Loved how Barker was on on a cross before he even played. Now he's doing something right, everyone is saying we might have something better than Pylon. :handclap:

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
If Edler got half the shots on net that Barker does, he'd make Karlsson look like Shane O Brien.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
His IQ and offensive tools aren't half bad, but as I've said many times, his skating simply isn't NHL caliber. He looks OK for now, but wait he gets turned inside out and beaten wide a few times every game.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
On pace for 41 points in an 82-game season.:sarcasm:

Still, I'm very happy with the signing, and in the event of injuries I wouldn't be too worried having him in our top-6.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
His IQ and offensive tools aren't half bad, but as I've said many times, his skating simply isn't NHL caliber. He looks OK for now, but wait he gets turned inside out and beaten wide a few times every game.

He already is.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Outside of his own zone he's not bad and is fine for a bottom pairing or extra defenseman. But it's not often you see a guy that clueless in his own zone getting minutes in the NHL. Even when the results are fine, it seems like it's simply dumb luck when you see how bad his positioning is at times. It seems like it's gotten a little better, so hopefully rust is playing a role in that.

Between Barker and Ebbett, I can't say I'm a big fan of Gillis' ideas for depth. Personally I'd much prefer fairly solid but unspectacular players over unreliable guys who might provide a marginal amount of offense. The risk/reward just doesn't make sense. The Sulzer/Gragniani trade is a great example of this in action. The Canucks gave up a fairly solid #7 or #8 guy for a rover who wasn't really NHL caliber in any respect but got some attention because he can put up near point per game numbers in the AHL.

John Bender*

Outside of his own zone he's not bad and is fine for a bottom pairing or extra defenseman. But it's not often you see a guy that clueless in his own zone getting minutes in the NHL. Even when the results are fine, it seems like it's simply dumb luck when you see how bad his positioning is at times. It seems like it's gotten a little better, so hopefully rust is playing a role in that.

Between Barker and Ebbett, I can't say I'm a big fan of Gillis' ideas for depth. Personally I'd much prefer fairly solid but unspectacular players over unreliable guys who might provide a marginal amount of offense. The risk/reward just doesn't make sense. The Sulzer/Gragniani trade is a great example of this in action. The Canucks gave up a fairly solid #7 or #8 guy for a rover who wasn't really NHL caliber in any respect but got some attention because he can put up near point per game numbers in the AHL.

Gragnani. More evidence as to just how stupid the Hodgson trade was.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Doesn't seem as bad as I thought he would be based on his play in the last couple years. He is better than Alberts for sure.

Offensively, I have no complaints. He does have a couple shifts where he loses his guy in the defensive zone however, but he has been bailed out so far by the goalies. For a depth dman, though, he has been good.

Steve Bennett*

I think Sabre management pulled a fast one on Gillis regarding Gragnani because the previous playoffs he had 7 pts in 7 NHL playoff games - that's pretty good (from what it looks like on paper). Gillis must have thought he saw something and Sabre management must have been selling him pretty well because I agree with you on Sulzer, and he does seem to be doing better this year too..

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
He's the first core-ish member of the modern Blackhawks to jump ship and join the Canucks.

True story.

Nov 1, 2011
I think Sabre management pulled a fast one on Gillis regarding Gragnani because the previous playoffs he had 7 pts in 7 NHL playoff games - that's pretty good (from what it looks like on paper). Gillis must have thought he saw something and Sabre management must have been selling him pretty well because I agree with you on Sulzer, and he does seem to be doing better this year too..

Well, to be fair, AV used to actually coach Gragnani so it's really hard to justify the idea that the Canucks didn't know what they were getting...

Now I am more than happy to say that it was an absolutely terrible trade but I think your reasoning is flawed.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
don't want this guy anywhere near a playoff game, his defensive play would make him unusuable in any tie-game or overtime scenario

has some good instincts in the offensive zone but so did marc andre gragnani and unfortunately he's as pillow-soft as gragnani as well

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012

canucks fans totally ate it up too

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
hes been alright. better than alberts. denfensively he's a bit lost. but offensively hes one of the nuck dman that gets his shots through

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Get him on the ice for some offensive zone faceoffs with the Sedins and we could be on to something,

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

Hey! That's cheating!

thegutter

May 22, 2011
i find it funny that anyone can find fault with this signing. league minimum for a serviciable defensemen who can put up points who alot of people said was nothing more than a warm body.

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
Barker has looked like one of there best D's at times, getting shots thru, making good outlet passes, mobility is sometimes questionable but so far he's been playing very solid.

Kid is doing a great job considering he jumped in with everybody looking for failure.

So far he's been one of the few surprises this year.

Canucks will be moving a Defensemen soon and Barker will get more opportunity.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Barker has looked like one of there best D's at times, getting shots thru, making good outlet passes, mobility is sometimes questionable but so far he's been playing very solid.

Kid is doing a great job considering he jumped in with everybody looking for failure.

So far he's been one of the few surprises this year.

Canucks will be moving a Defensemen soon and Barker will get more opportunity.

4 posts...

You're related to Barker aren't you?

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad