NFL: Calvin Johnson has retired

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
That's now 2 Hall Of Famer the Lions franchise has driven to retire early.

Like not even asked for a trade or anything, just didn't want to play anymore.

The narrative, while funny, isn't exactly true either. And, in hindsight, they look far smarter than those who have continued playing because of the poor choices they have made.

You're going to be seeing more and more guys retire early as well.

While I don't doubt this will end up true, I'm curious that nothing else has been said nor confirmed. It's just the same rumors I've heard being floated around since midway this season.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That's now 2 Hall Of Famer the Lions franchise has driven to retire early.

Like not even asked for a trade or anything, just didn't want to play anymore.

I wouldnt say they drove Megatron to retirement. Unless he comes out and ays its because of the constant losing like Sanders.

But by all reports its the lingering injuries, the toll on his body plus already making enough $$$$ to last and not leaving much more to accomplish.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Johnson is a receiver you would design in a lab. Everybody knew coming into the league that he had the potential to be an all-time great. Really, the only physical thing you could knock him for was that he didn't have the best hands, and he wasn't the most durable. Other than that, he was essentially a perfectly designed receiver. Knowing that, I do feel like his career as a whole should have been more impressive. It wasn't just missed games to injury, but there always seemed to be a reservation about "imagine what he could do if he wasn't playing through this injury", or "imagine what he could do with a better QB" etc.

There's two sides to the coin for being a receiver that is always double-teamed and still heavily targeted. On one hand, yeah it's impressive when he can put up big numbers like that when double teamed, but on the other hand, he's also seeing a lot of targets that he shouldn't be seeing. He's a big play waiting to happen, but frequently absolutely nothing will happen on those plays where Stafford just hucks it up to him, or even worse, it'll be picked off.

Since Johnson came into the league, only 3 receivers have a worse catch % than him (minimum 300 receptions), and they are Santonio Holmes, Vincent Jackson and Nate Washington. DeSean Jackson just barely edged Calvin out for a better catch %, and he's as close as you can get to a boom/bust receiver. At the same time, Calvin ranks near the top for yards per target, despite all of those missed catches. It's no secret that Stafford forced passes to Johnson in his career looking for the big play rather than a safety net. It's a big risk/big reward situation, but the point is that people only remember the "reward" part of that. Having a QB that only wants to look your way and doesn't let the downside of that prevent him from doing it will see you rack up record numbers when you have a receiver with the raw talent that Calvin has. He has crazy base stats, but I think a lot of people overlook that efficiency aspect when talking about Johnson.
Larry Fitzgerald also barely edges him out slightly at 58%, and he's the furthest thing from a boom bust receiver

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Why? He's 30 now and has put in his years. Sure he'd be retiring with term left, but he's also not going to get that kind of money again and is leaving plenty on the table. Certainly wouldnt be the first to do it.

He walked away from a contract Lions gave him. If he has a change of heart and comes back he should honour it. I'm probably in minority here.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Well, the whole thing was that he's going to have a cap hit of $24 million next year and only cost about $8 million in dead money. There was some danger of him being cut I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad