NFL: Calvin Johnson has retired

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
CYD2dUIWkAAg1p3.png

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We've seen some early retirements recently but this is an odd one. Really thinking of retiring or trying to get the Lions to release/move him?

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Why would he retire, he's only 30 and coming off another 1000 yard season. Its not like he's 34 coming of an injury plagued campaign. Plenty of teams would love to have this guy.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
We've seen some early retirements recently but this is an odd one. Really thinking of retiring or trying to get the Lions to release/move him?

He has been dealing with nagging injuries the past couple of years.

Plus, he is not your prototypical WR. In other words, not a diva.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Part of me wants to see it just to see how bad Stafford's numbers tank without his binky.

But to lose one of the best (not THE best anymore mind you) in the game and possibly of all time that soon? What a shame it would be.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IMO he'll retire to save the Lions cap space (hes due like 24 million next season) and then return during Training Camp with another team. Hes still got lots of good years left, but much like Sanders, has already carved out a HOF career at this age.

*Bob Richards*

Oh no. :(

One of my favorites. His 2012 run was run of the greatest things I have ever seen.

I remember wondering who would hit 2000 first between him and AP. So close.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sold that the Lions can't be good next year.

You have to be careful sometimes, you don't want to be Andre Johnson who left the Texans to join a contender, and he is now going to watch the Texans contend* from his couch.

*term used loosely

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He needs to win a super bowl

The nfl is so boring I swear

You can't really look back and say man he was a great player like in hockey or even basketball to an extent

Maybe I'm too young but I only know like 5 to 10

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

Barry Sanders tried the same thing with the Lions, and then they refused to move him and he was too proud to keep playing for them.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He needs to win a super bowl

The nfl is so boring I swear

You can't really look back and say man he was a great player like in hockey or even basketball to an extent

Maybe I'm too young but I only know like 5 to 10

What are you talking about?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
"I quit because i feel like the Detroit Lions didn't have a chance to win. It just killed my enjoyment of the game." - Barry Sanders

Deja Vu all over again. Yet another generational talent pushed into retirement probably due to the Lions organization sapping all the enjoyment out of the game from him. Only the Lions can have 2 of the best players to ever play at their position and have 1 playoff win to show for it out of their near 20 years with the organization. :shakehead

I hope CJ decides to play a few more seasons only if the Lions trade him to a Super Bowl contender. If anybody deserves a SB, it's him.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Much like Barry until the end, Calvin has never had an ill thing to say about the Lions despite going through years of futility. He's broken records, cemented his place as the best WR of his generation and possibly of all time (though that argument would be a lot harder to make if he does call it quits) yet has jack **** to show for it.

The whole "deserving" a championship thing tends to be overblown, but i would say he def qualifies for it.

member 51464

Much like Barry until the end, Calvin has never had an ill thing to say about the Lions despite going through years of futility. He's broken records, cemented his place as the best WR of his generation and possibly of all time (though that argument would be a lot harder to make if he does call it quits) yet has jack **** to show for it.

The whole "deserving" a championship thing tends to be overblown, but i would say he def qualifies for it.

Who would you say his contemporaries, and thus competition are, for that title?

It is strange to me that Johnson is just under 3 years older than Antonio Brown. Seems like the latter just broke into the league last week, haha.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Unlike Barry Sanders....who was at the top of his game when he went out...Megatron right now isn't. He could be sick of being a Lion or this could be legit. Who knows. I think it is a topic for discussion though. A lot of guys don't want their kids to play and are focusing more on their futures. I know people will think its crazy but I think in 30 years or so the NFL will go off into the sunset. Not because of finances but because its just so violent and we are learning more and more about concussions and the brain and such. Its not like you can stop it really. Unless it becomes flag football or some ****. Players are faster and stronger.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is anyone paying attention to Calvin's cap hit and salary? It's more then most QB's in the league next season.

Love Calvin and think he's one of the best in the league. The Lions ended up in a nasty situation getting so many top draft picks right before the NFL got the rookie salary cap in place. Stafford, Johnson and Suh all got the massive deals as rookies and carried over to their 2nd contracts to cut down the short term cap hits at the time.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He noticeably lost a step this year (still really good though, obviously), and there's been a lot of wear and tear on him over the years for a guy that already wasn't very durable. He may just feel like it's time to end on a relative high note before he takes a really sharp decline. Would still be pretty crazy though.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I don't see the NFL every dying, despite all the concussion and CTE stuff. It's just way too big to suddenly fall. I could see like under 13's playing no tackle or something, but I don't see the NFL's demise.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I don't see the NFL every dying, despite all the concussion and CTE stuff. It's just way too big to suddenly fall. I could see like under 13's playing no tackle or something, but I don't see the NFL's demise.

All good things come to an end. I know players know the risks but I just wonder how many are willing to play going forward. Guys pull out quicker now...guys have publicly said they don't want their sons to play. It will take time but I'd be far from shocked. Its down the road. I could see politics somehow getting involved sometime.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The rumors are its his fingers and ankles that are bothering him so much that he's contemplating retirement.

electriccanuck*

All good things come to an end. I know players know the risks but I just wonder how many are willing to play going forward. Guys pull out quicker now...guys have publicly said they don't want their sons to play. It will take time but I'd be far from shocked. Its down the road. I could see politics somehow getting involved sometime.

there's too much money and name brand for the NFL to die. If anything, it will continue to morph itself into an even more rugby-like sport in terms of rules and tackling style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad