Injury Report: Calvert To IR (out 6 weeks), Recall Sean Collins

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
"@RobMixer #CBJ announce Matt Calvert underwent abdominal surgery today in Philadelphia. Sidelined approximately six weeks."

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Sure it's not good, but if he is only out 6 weeks that means he should be back before Thanksgiving.

However long he is out I hope he does not rush it and waits until he's 100% healthy, he will be needed for the playoff push.

Good point. It could have been much worse. The key is not to use this as an excuse for a weak start (we all saw what that can cause to happen back in April).

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
we should have Calvert and Horton back about the same time...talk about a line up infusion...just gotta play tough til then...

deetman

Oct 31, 2009
Philadelphia
Do you think Jarmo may be looking to trade a defenseman for a forward?

I'm sure he has a Plan Z if everything blows up, but I doubt a trade is in the immediate future. Even with Calvert out, Jenner and Boll are presumably in without even a call up. Once you throw Horton and Calvert back into the mix in the December time frame, we could very well have a logjam of forwards on the club. Panicking and trading away a valuable asset at this point is the LAST thing I want to see done.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
No. Calvert is the only long term injury. Comeau, Gaborik, Foligno should all be up to speed later in the week or so.

Even if all of our forwards were health (excluding Horton), doesn't it make sense that he'd be entertaining offers? Not that he'd be taking them, just entertaining such a thing as packaging someone like Nikitin + one of our forwards for a better forward?

I'm sure he has a Plan Z if everything blows up, but I doubt a trade is in the immediate future. Even with Calvert out, Jenner and Boll are presumably in without even a call up. Once you throw Horton and Calvert back into the mix in the December time frame, we could very well have a logjam of forwards on the club. Panicking and trading away a valuable asset at this point is the LAST thing I want to see done.

I disagree with this. We may have a logjam of bottom-6 forwards, but we definitely lack quality in our top-6 besides Atkinson, Gaborik, Dubinsky, and maybe in the future Johansen. Further, beyond Jenner we have little upcoming forward depth. Rychel, Wennberg, Dano, and Bjorkstrand are presumably 2+ years out.

Making a trade right now wouldn't be a panic move, it would be realizing that goal scoring is our problem and guys like Calvert, Johansen, and Jenner may not be ready to handle big time minutes while others like Umberger and Foligno are better suited to being 3rd line wingers than relied upon to produce offense.

Last edited:

deetman

Oct 31, 2009
Philadelphia
Making a trade right now wouldn't be a panic move, it would be realizing that goal scoring is our problem and guys like Calvert, Johansen, and Jenner may not be ready to handle big time minutes while others like Umberger and Foligno are better suited to being 3rd line wingers than relied upon to produce offense.

Scoring is definitely one of our biggest problems right now, I completely agree. I'm just unsure of what pieces we could give up to actually get scoring above what Calvert, Johansen, Jenner, Foligno, or Umberger bring to the table. Sure if we could get a legitimate scoring option for <insert defenseman tradebait of the week>, random piece, and a pick, I would probably be in favor of it. I just can't see a move being done to gain that both from our perspective and other teams' perspective.

muleskinner2013

Oct 17, 2013
Calvert has been the stir that has mixed the drink fellows. His being missing has been much to do with slow start IMO.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 2m
#CBJ recall F Jack Skille from AHL Springfield. Sean Collins goes back down to the Falcons.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@smitchcd: #CBJ coach Todd Richards said F Matt Calvert (abdominal surgery) could return to practice next week. Has been skating.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad