Calle Johansson

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
getty_cjohansson.jpg

Just curious what you Capitals fans think about Calle Johansson.

Is Calle considered one of the best Capitals d-mans ever?

Was his style stay at home with some grit or skilled non-physical?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
For me personally he is one of my all time favorite capitals. Never scored a ton, but in his prime (early 90s) he was putting up 10 and 30 on a yearly basis. He had good weight for his size so he wasn't a china doll. Stayed out of the box fairly well, and was just an overall solid 2 way player. Very reliable and very like-able.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Everyone liked Calle. Quietly effective... a modern day comparable from the current roster would be Karl Alzner. Never fought, never took bad penalties, always in good position.

He once said that most fans thought he was an offensive Dman since he was a svensk and could skate well, but that he considered himself a defensive dman first and foremost. Yeah he scored 15 once but averaged about 7-8 per year.

I would consider him maybe top 10 all time best caps dmen. Perhaps a list needs to be compiled to help kill the dog days of summer.

Hejdà

Scott Stevens
Rod Langway
Calle Jo

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
9 better? Who?

Langway
Stevens
Hatcher
Murphy

Who else? Tinordi? Iafrate? dont say Iafrate. Witt? Gonchar?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd say he's at least arguably top 5.

Langway
Stevens
Hatcher
Murphy
Gonchar all star level player
Iafrate all star level player
Labre guessing he would make some longtime fan's list

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Mike Green was exceedingly good from 2008-2010. He didn't have the longevity of other Capitals defensemen, but you have to at least consider him for top 10 all time in Capitals D.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd say he's at least arguably top 5.

Langway
Stevens
Hatcher
Murphy
Gonchar all star level player
Iafrate all star level player
Labre guessing he would make some longtime fan's list

Iafrate had a shortish career that was plagued by injuries. Given the choice between Al and Calle, I would take Calle. Calle was probably better than Murphy for Murphy's time with the Caps but overall careers i would take Murphy.

Labre....I mean....He was not even a good player. Think John Erskine.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If you're going Longevity Calle, top end Iafrate. Calle's long tenure helps him. The argument for 5 is between Calle and Goocher and goes to Calle IMO. Tinordi and Iafrate's tenures were too short.

Mike Green does deserve a top-10 spot too IMO.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Calle is without a doubt top 10, and borderline top 5. Langway, Stevens, Hatcher and Murphy are pretty clearly the top 4, then it gets murky with Johansson, Gonchar, Green, and Carlson.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Thanks to his longevity Calle Jo is behind only Ovechkin, Bondra and Backstrom in all-time GVT with the Caps. Parts of 15 seasons will do that.

FWIW top 10 D based on GVT over their Caps career:

1|Johansson|129.8
2|Gonchar|117.2
3|Hatcher|112
4|Stevens|106.7
5|Green|94.1
6|Langway|77
7|Cote|74.5
8|Carlson|65.3
9|Murphy|62.9
10|Klee|39.3

A pretty big drop-off after Murphy. Iafrate only had two seasons or else he likely would be top 10. In a couple of seasons Alzner would pass Klee. GVT is maybe not a 100% ideal standard of measurement but it's interesting at least. I haven't done Point Shares but my guess is it looks fairly similar. Langway's lack of offense hurts him.

My recollection of 6 is a positional two-way defenseman. He was kind of the modern type of defender with gap control and hockey sense his strengths rather than brash physicality or anything flashy. Just steady in all areas.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am glad to see someone throw Sylvain's name into the mix. I consider he and Calle close overall. Tinordi gets a shout out. Glad to see Labre get a mention. I may list Carlson ahead of him. Green for all his faults gets some consideration for sure. Scoring 30 goals and almost winning a Norris is not easy. Forced to pick 6 today I would probably take Gonchar over Calle and Carlson. Rick Green may get a few votes if us more modern fans could remember his game. Same with Robert Picard, short Caps career aside potted 20 goals in his 2nd season.

I stick to my near 10 call on Calle. I don't consider that longevity necessarily makes one better.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Klee and Cote....ahh good times....I remember one year we had a silly amount of D 20 (if I'm remembering correctly)goal scorers....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if tenure has no value Bobby carpenter's one 50 season gets him too 10. Top 10 player is not the same as too 10 seasons

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I am glad to see someone throw Sylvain's name into the mix. I consider he and Calle close overall. Tinordi gets a shout out. Glad to see Labre get a mention. I may list Carlson ahead of him. Green for all his faults gets some consideration for sure. Scoring 30 goals and almost winning a Norris is not easy. Forced to pick 6 today I would probably take Gonchar over Calle and Carlson. Rick Green may get a few votes if us more modern fans could remember his game. Same with Robert Picard, short career aside potted 20 goals in his 2nd season.

I stick to my near 10 call on Calle. I don't consider that longevity necessarily makes one better.

He is the career leader in D points and 9th overall. He was a really solid two-way guy who had a nice long career, was a solid citizen and teammate. Lidstrom-lite? :naughty:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah sure tenure has say in discussions, but then we need a min games played 400 etc.

Building a team today based on ex caps, Calle Jo doesn't make my team. I am not building a team to last 15 years. I pick my 6 in their prime at their peak.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
400 games seems fair as a tiebreaker. There are no Gail Sayers or Pelle Lindbergh's in Caps history to make accommodations for IMO.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I suggest we lower the threshold to 399 games. Which other Capitals defensemen have a +50 season or set the NHL playoff record for longest consecutive TOI streak without a goal against? Jeff Schultz is obviously a top 10 D for this franchise!!

:sarcasm:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
He is for sure up there.

I know he's not on any top list - but my favorite guy from the defense on the 90's/early 2000's Caps team was Brendan Witt. Guy played so hard.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That makes 39 guys in total eligible with poor Jeff Schultz missing it by just 1 game...

I'm saying its kind of a tie breaker not meant to exclude someone automatically if they're talented enough....

If it came down to Iafrate and 55, it's still Iafrate by a landslide for me.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Carlson is already better than Calle, and that isn't meant as an attack on Calle. JC's just a much more well rounded player, whose offensive game matches his defensive game. Calle probably wasn't ever a top 30 guy in the NHL the way JC is today and has been for a couple of years.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wasn't a poll for most talented. Carlson's top end is higher. In Caps lore as an all time great Calle rates higher today. In 5-10 more years, if he remains a Cap, and he becomes the top D scorer, Carlson should rate higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad