News Article: Callahan leaves door open to return to Rangers / Richards Speaks Out

AHB*

It's not about whether or not it's true, even if it's true, no need to say it.

Yep, it's not that I even disagree with the factual points of his statements. They may or may not be true. But to allude to the clout he and MSL have because they're "veterans" is just moronic.

Again, it may be true. But sometimes it's best just to keep your mouth shut. This was certainly one of those instances. It's an extremely sore spot and he just salted the wound.

Not to mention, he is a player who really, in the eyes of this teams fans, is undeserving to say any of those things.

He has underproduced and been overpaid. We've had mediocre seasons out of him but nothing resembling a #1C.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The comments from Brad isnt a problem. He's not trashing anyone. Fair and honest comments.

That being said, the fact that those words were said by Brad Richards, a player with an A he absolutely does not deserve and shows absolutely no leadership and clutch on the ice in tight or hard games, is annoying. Brad is in no position to jugde leadership, as he himself is the worst case of leadership in this team.

Of course i dont know whats being said in the locker room, but my jugdement of leadership is from what i see on ice. On ice, Callahan is a leader grade A and Richards grade E.

Brad: Maybe you should stop talking to media about locker room leadership and start filling that on-ice leadership that disappeared with Dubi and Cally.

Well put. This is the issue. This is why these comments are firing people up. Glass houses, stones, etc.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Well put. This is the issue. This is why these comments are firing people up. Glass houses, stones, etc.

Richards didn't make these statements to **** on Callahan or to promote himself as a team leader. He was pretty clear on Cally being missed and his contribution on ice being irreplaceable.

He probably does this to send a message to his team mates and the public that the team will not change and they will keep working as a team, that they will still have leadership. Downplaying Cally's role in the locker room makes sense from that perspective.

The fact that he doesn't bring it on the ice (though leading the team in points from the 2nd line) is a problem, but not related. I don't get people flying off the handle over this.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
On trade deadline day LeslieHF tweeted something saying there were Rangers locker room issues. I'll try and find it.

found it:

Leslie Treff ‏@HFNYRangers Mar 5
Not happy with picks Rangers gave away in Callahan deal. But He had to go--not been good in the locker room for awhile.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
On trade deadline day LeslieHF tweeted something saying there were Rangers locker room issues. I'll try and find it.

found it:

That's impossible. Ryan Callahan is an amazing captain! How dare you, Leslie! Maybe you should look in the mirror because you haven't led this team to ****! Oh wait...

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
That's impossible. Ryan Callahan is an amazing captain! How dare you, Leslie! Maybe you should look in the mirror because you haven't led this team to ****! Oh wait...

We all joked about him learning his impeccable leadership skills from Drury but holy crap it turned out to be true. You can't write this ****.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
There are four kinds of captains.

1.-the kind who are appointed simply because they are the best player on the team

2.- the kind who lead by the example they set on the ice

3.-the kind who leads off the ice

4.-the kind who combine 2 and 3

I've always felt 3 is as important as 2. That kind of captain is the liason with the coaches. He takes young players under his wing. He is aware of the off ice lifes of each player on the team and addresses problems individually. He smoothes out the up and down issues that come up during the course of a season. He is the player other players talk to. His persona can be fiery or the strong silent type.
All this while tending to his own career
His leadership shows on the team bus, on the plane, in the lockerroom, in the hotel and after practice.

It is this part of leadership we rarely see. We try to gauge it from our obsession with the team and what is said. But the fact is, we don't know. We think we know, but we don't really.

When Cally was appointed, he had #2 down pat and the hope was he would grow into #3 and become a complete captain, a #4.

Did he? I don't know because, not being around the team, I didn't have enough info. Perhaps he didn't and that is the gist of what Richards was hinting at. Richards, in his day, always struck me as a behind the scene leader. Hey, but not everyone is Messier.

So what's next. Staal seems to laid back and his contract issue clouds his situation. McD seems like Cally was but he too seems a little laid back. Can he grow into the role? I don't know. Girardi seems closest to a complete captain type but will he still be able to maintain the role as his skills erode in 3 or 4 years and he is on longer a first pair D.

An interesting situation.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I don't see much problem in what Richards had to say. He simply said he was a vocal, inspiring type.
WHO CARES!!

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I always felt the team's best players would make the best captains. Last time you saw a 3rd liner captain a team to the cup was probably Dave Andreychuk.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I always felt the team's best players would make the best captains. Last time you saw a 3rd liner captain a team to the cup was probably Dave Andreychuk.

Callahan is not a 3rd liner, please stop with that.

Vidic15*

found it:

I get the feeling, judging by his comments, that Richards is another locker room problem. Buy his ass out and give the C to MSL. This team needs to strong, vocal leader.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Wow look at this flash mob reaction to just words. The media has turned so many into emotional PC robots...

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
Callahan is not a 3rd liner, please stop with that.

Yes he is.Stoneahands missed so many open nets, made passes to nowhere and tried things his skillset didn't permit.

On this board people whined and moaned about missing empty nets and a list of other gaffes.Now, he's Mister Hockey.Fantastic.

On a good,well balanced team he is the prototypical "Energy Line" RW.He ends up on the first and second lines when a team is full of plumbers and guys who couldn't hit the ocean if they fell off a pier at high tide.

Who cares what Sad Brad says,he's the next guy they're going to pull the lever on.

shoves

Free orangejuice?
Nov 29, 2011
Richards didn't make these statements to **** on Callahan or to promote himself as a team leader. He was pretty clear on Cally being missed and his contribution on ice being irreplaceable.

He probably does this to send a message to his team mates and the public that the team will not change and they will keep working as a team, that they will still have leadership. Downplaying Cally's role in the locker room makes sense from that perspective.

The fact that he doesn't bring it on the ice (though leading the team in points from the 2nd line) is a problem, but not related. I don't get people flying off the handle over this.

As you see in my post, i do agree with this. But my point is that when this comes from Brad, its hard to eat it as legit ****. Its like when your lying buddy telling you to be more honest. You cant really take him seriously, and it ends up with him coming of as a total jerk instead.

Im not saying this is a problem. Im just telling you how this ends up being a ****storm on Brad

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
The whole "1st/2nd/3rd/4th line player" label is really stupid. It's a way to make generalizations. Every coach in the league is giving him serious minutes. Some Rangers fans really turned on him. You think the gms that selected team USA sat around and talked about how much he sucks like people do here?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Zuccarello, yes. The only thing Nash is better at its having bi-monthly 10 game goal steaks.

That's one of the many things that makes Nash the superior player. As well as creating offense, being a better puckhandler, etc.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Wow look at this flash mob reaction to just words. The media has turned so many into emotional PC robots...

It's got a lot more to do with some putz who's been a failure for us the last two years mouthing off about leadership. He's the last one who should be talking about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad