News Article: Callahan, Boyle and Stralman return to MSG as former Rangers

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is probably the few of many articles that will surface..

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...n-stralman-return-as-former-rangers-1.9621805

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...l-be-cheered-at-fickle-madison-square-garden/

http://snyrangersblog.com/former-ra...an-boyle-and-anton-stralman-return-on-monday/

Thought it needed it's own thread since we are talking about a trio of players, and two teams who have dramatic ties to each other now since the last trade deadline.

Some of my own thoughts...

It makes it dramatic because all of these three players, although not rejected, did not have serious commitments from the Rangers to keep them. Boyle and Stralman signed in the Summer with little or no negotiations from the Rangers, and signed with Tampa with huge influence from Callahan, who already signed. That will certainly come up in a lot of conversations, and it should.

I believe the hardest and most dramatic return will be for Callahan, who was not only traded after being on a team for 7 years, he was their captain. A true heart and soul player who had a rough season due to injuries. The worst part of it, Callahan had to watch his former team go into the SCF without him. He'll never admit it, because he is a class act, but it likely killed him watching his former team move on without him and a few wins from a cup. When they lost, I was not happy, but more relieved. Felt it was wrong for them to win without their captain.

Any Ranger fan who says "Good Riddance" or "He is not worth it" are entitled to their opinion. I personally feel Callahan has gone on and above on his contract this season. It's also been great seeing Tampa fans truly welcome and embrace him and the rest of the trio. I've got to see it in person as well, and it was great. I was going to root for two teams after the trade but after my personal issue with the Rangers organization, it sent me to become a full time and committed Tampa fan who is now my only hockey team. Also, having a fairly new resident just south of Tampa was a sign for me to change. Everything happens for a reason.

It's been a great feeling seeing the trio succeed in Tampa, and this team doing well. Whatever happens on Monday, or the other 2 games it is surely going to be exciting, but I'm glad Tampa fans have been able to enjoy these players like I have over the years while watching the Rangers.

All 3 should get an applause tomorrow night, especially Callahan who was a fan favorite because of the extra efforts he put forth on the ice, and his class act on and off the ice.

Win or lose should be a great game, and hopefully both fan bases can appreciate what these players have done, and can do moving forward.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I don't mean to sound like a dick or anything man, but... let it go.

Martin St. Louis was probably the most revered Lightning player in the history of the franchise. Without a doubt, he used to be my favorite player. Certainly more important to the Lightning franchise historically than Callahan has been to the Rangers.

St. Louis is a Ranger now. No one else on this board really cares anymore that he left, they've gotten over it. I'm looking forward to playing him and hopefully embarrassing him in some fashion, for sure. But I'm not really hung up on it. Players come and go to different teams all the time. Not even the best players stay with their teams. Look at Daniel Alfredsson. Jerome Iginla. I hope - but don't really expect - that Steven Stamkos will play his entire career as a Bolt.

Your guys, Stralman, Boyle, and obviously Callahan - they're now members of the Tampa Bay Lightning. The New York Rangers are in the past for them. They should be for you too, if you're to be a true, blue, Lightning fan. Your boy even said it himself; he's not going to think too much about it. You shouldn't either. It's in the past. Sure, the situation makes for great drama, and that's sort of what it will be, yes. Legendary hero turned villain in Tampa Bay, the former heart and soul of the franchise, Martin St. Louis, plays his former team. As does the heart and soul of the Rangers. And many other connections thrown in.

Really, I'm not trying to sound like an *******, but the constant references to the Rangers are kind of annoying. Oftentimes, I will skip your posts because I know they are going to either shower praise upon the trio of ex-Rangers we have here, or cast hate upon the Rangers as an organization. So please, don't be offended by what I've said. You can take it, or leave it. I just have a feeling that I'm probably not alone in this opinion. We all are now quite familiar with your ties to the Ranger organization. To keep bringing it up shows me a person who has trouble letting go of it. That's not healthy on an internet forum, or anywhere in life, quite frankly.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really, I'm not trying to sound like an *******, but the constant references to the Rangers are kind of annoying. Oftentimes, I will skip your posts because I know they are going to either shower praise upon the trio of ex-Rangers we have here, or cast hate upon the Rangers as an organization. So please, don't be offended by what I've said. You can take it, or leave it. I just have a feeling that I'm probably not alone in this opinion.

No you are correct, but I am in a unique situation, it's a bigger deal to me because used to have season tickets with the Rangers and made a change to a new team. I have said on the Around the NHL thread, I don't care what the Rangers are doing unless we are playing them. However, a lot of folks here still have issues with the MSL thing and that's cool but it's hard to ignore that around these threads, so you just go with the flow.

You are not being a jerk, and I respect your opinion. Trust me plan to let it go, after the Rangers and Tampa series are over this month. But these games mean a big deal to a lot of fans, not just myself.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
To be honest however. St Louis really pissed me off with the drama bs last season. Yeah he was a heart and soul player for us, but there's a huge difference between giving him one last shot at a cup and what he did. Personally I hope last season is the last time he goes on a deep run. **** him. If his situation was similar to Callahans I'd give him a standing ovation when he came back. Instead he practically pissed on his fans that stood behind him through thick and thin of his tenure. Long story short, the two aren't comparable.

BohemianRhandomly

Nov 3, 2014
Section 128
To be honest however. St Louis really pissed me off with the drama bs last season. Yeah he was a heart and soul player for us, but there's a huge difference between giving him one last shot at a cup and what he did. Personally I hope last season is the last time he goes on a deep run. **** him. If his situation was similar to Callahans I'd give him a standing ovation when he came back. Instead he practically pissed on his fans that stood behind him through thick and thin of his tenure. Long story short, the two aren't comparable.

Well said. And I was a huge MSL fan for years, but I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy watching him lose now. So, no, I haven't let it go. And I think a lot of other fans haven't either.

Love Cally. We definitely got the better end of the deal. He's embraced Tampa, and that feels good, after "Major Market Marty" dissed the entire area. He's an impact player, and he's got more years left ahead of him in the league than MSL does, so he's a win-win for us.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Amen brother.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I want to see the Rangers miss the playoffs this year purely for the draft implications. After that, I really don't care.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
No you are correct, but I am in a unique situation, it's a bigger deal to me because used to have season tickets with the Rangers and made a change to a new team. I have said on the Around the NHL thread, I don't care what the Rangers are doing unless we are playing them. However, a lot of folks here still have issues with the MSL thing and that's cool but it's hard to ignore that around these threads, so you just go with the flow.

You are not being a jerk, and I respect your opinion. Trust me plan to let it go, after the Rangers and Tampa series are over this month. But these games mean a big deal to a lot of fans, not just myself.

:thumbu:

Exactly. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see him fail. He turned his back on everything we gave him. If he went out like Callahan, and didn't get into a pissing match over something not even related to the Tampa Bay Lightning, we'd probably all still revere him. But he didn't. And we don't.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I think there's a huge difference, you're on the side of the "player" while we're on the side of the "team", it's one thing to be bitter on a player than an entire organization. Honestly I don't see much of anyone still hung up on MSL, he was the favorite player of a lot of us, but one thing I'm glad to see is that no Lightning fan swapped teams because of MSL, which says a lot about how well management took care of the situation.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't mean to sound like a dick or anything man, but... let it go.

Martin St. Louis was probably the most revered Lightning player in the history of the franchise. Without a doubt, he used to be my favorite player. Certainly more important to the Lightning franchise historically than Callahan has been to the Rangers.

St. Louis is a Ranger now. No one else on this board really cares anymore that he left, they've gotten over it. I'm looking forward to playing him and hopefully embarrassing him in some fashion, for sure. But I'm not really hung up on it. Players come and go to different teams all the time. Not even the best players stay with their teams. Look at Daniel Alfredsson. Jerome Iginla. I hope - but don't really expect - that Steven Stamkos will play his entire career as a Bolt.

Your guys, Stralman, Boyle, and obviously Callahan - they're now members of the Tampa Bay Lightning. The New York Rangers are in the past for them. They should be for you too, if you're to be a true, blue, Lightning fan. Your boy even said it himself; he's not going to think too much about it. You shouldn't either. It's in the past. Sure, the situation makes for great drama, and that's sort of what it will be, yes. Legendary hero turned villain in Tampa Bay, the former heart and soul of the franchise, Martin St. Louis, plays his former team. As does the heart and soul of the Rangers. And many other connections thrown in.

Really, I'm not trying to sound like an *******, but the constant references to the Rangers are kind of annoying. Oftentimes, I will skip your posts because I know they are going to either shower praise upon the trio of ex-Rangers we have here, or cast hate upon the Rangers as an organization. So please, don't be offended by what I've said. You can take it, or leave it. I just have a feeling that I'm probably not alone in this opinion. We all are now quite familiar with your ties to the Ranger organization. To keep bringing it up shows me a person who has trouble letting go of it. That's not healthy on an internet forum, or anywhere in life, quite frankly.

Good post, honest but not rude.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I was bitter towards the rangers for a long time but it feels as if that have gone away with time, it’s like I just don’t feel like bothering anymore and that I have better and more exciting things to focus on, like our team and what we have, that being said these games between these two teams will be interesting to see and can really go either way and the team have to be ready and focused and hopefully they all want to show MSL what he’s missing out on and play hard for 60 minutes but most importantly I want to see them go out and play as a team no matter what happens because when they do they tend to be very successful.

I think there's a huge difference, you're on the side of the "player" while we're on the side of the "team", it's one thing to be bitter on a player than an entire organization. Honestly I don't see much of anyone still hung up on MSL, he was the favorite player of a lot of us, but one thing I'm glad to see is that no Lightning fan swapped teams because of MSL, which says a lot about how well management took care of the situation.

There have been a few of those, none here on HF but you see it when you look around the internet on other places but that’s their choice, everyone can cheer for whichever team they feel like cheering for and for whatever reason they want even if it’s hard to understand for some of us. I admit that I came here with the Cally trade but for me I’m still new to NHL hockey having only watched last season and while I saw mostly rangers games I wasn’t really a fan of them as much as I became a fan of a few players I enjoyed seeing including Cally so when he was traded to Tampa I made the decision to follow and watched the rest of the season with them and just grew to love the whole team and the organization and decided to keep watching and since I know that the Bolts feels like a whole new team then it’s been in the past it’s fun to be able to be along for the ride.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I just want to be clear with this. Moving forward it's about the "team" and not the "player" for me. The player or players only influenced me to start rooting for this team.

In the time they are here I hope that they can land a serious mark on this franchise, like winning more than one championship and becoming a dynasty. It's asking a lot but it could happen.

Bedford Bolt

Nov 2, 2013
UK
To be honest while I don't really care about the MSL thing (I was hugely upset last year but its a new season and a new team now), it is pretty unique that we have 3 players that played for one team last year and now all play for us, it's sure going to be an interesting game for them.

It would be even better if they were all forwards and we could play an 'ex rangers' line for the game, but alas you can't have it all!

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
I don't like MSL and I don't want the Rangers to win because of the draft pick. That's pretty much all that matters to me. Former teams, to me, don't matter unless it ended badly or it's a 15 year storied career.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It's already been said, but I hope somebody creams that midget and we blow them out. If we can destroy their confidence and they go on a massive 20 game losing streak, that would be great too.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
For me, I moved on from the trade pretty much immediately. Marty didn't want to be here; fine, whatever. I didn't miss him at all.

So tonight, when I invariably flip my middle finger at him on my TV or computer screen, it won't be because I'm hung up on the trade. It'll be because I have zero respect for him. There's a significant difference.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For me, I moved on from the trade pretty much immediately. Marty didn't want to be here; fine, whatever. I didn't miss him at all.

So tonight, when I invariably flip my middle finger at him on my TV or computer screen, it won't be because I'm hung up on the trade. It'll be because I have zero respect for him. There's a significant difference.

Hey man, Where ya been? Welcome back!

Anyway, after tonight's game the whole Ex-Rangers vs Rangers goes out the window for me.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
You be yourself 24 I like your posts so to anyone who doesnt well you dont have to read?

I am not trying to be an ahole but jeez

I still have problems with the little bugger:) Yet the trade adding stralman and boyle on top the team we have in rink and on paper has alleviated the issue a bit

I personally like your articles and thoughts so like to come on and see what your coming up with and have a long standing hate for the STANKERS before all of this went down lol

Anyway we hands down won the trade this set down their franchise for years which is awesome maybe they will fall apart a bit and we get a very good draft choice.

At one point I would have loved to face them in conference finals I dont see them being good enough. Wanted to shut midget down and sweep them the anger was real haha.

Anyway our team is better now and moving forward at least for the new forseeable future:) This trade actually helped us tremendously even if was handled about as poorly as some jerk basketball player

I am very happy to have all three ex rangers myself shocked at really how good they are. Not just as players but to the community as stand up people their work ethics etc..

impressed

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I got what I wanted last night. (Of course would of loved a hat-trick. lol) It was an awesome feeling, seeing Callahan help to humiliate the Rangers. I felt a little bad for MSL who also played his heart out. They cut to two scenes, Callahan smiling and laughing with Stamkos on the bench after scoring his 2nd goal of the night, and then MSL with a look of defeat and disappointment. You could not have written this script any better for a guy who is a class act, and always did the right thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad