Call-Up Coming?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It's because a majority of rookies do struggle coming into the NHL. The Isles are bouncing rookies in between the pressbox and ice AND when given NHL icetime, it's limited. Is the mighty Strome going to overcome all that?

First of all, that has nothing to do with what you said. You said Strome needs to stay in the AHL to continue developing. Now it has nothing to do with his development, and everything to do with how the Isles handle rookies?

Second, do you really believe the Isles would call up Strome only to shuffle him in and out of the lineup? At this point it seems a little far fetched. Once the time comes for Strome's promotion, I'd be willing to bet that it will be in a full-time, top-9 role.

..and one more thing, most rookies do deal with struggles, but most rookies aren't top-10 prospects. The rookies who generally have the biggest impact are guys like Strome. Again, look around the league. Actually come to think of it, finding a prospect as good as Strome with as much development as Strome has had is about as rare as it gets. If that doesn't 'ease' the transition, then what the hell was the point of being as uber-cautious as the Isles have been with him?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
First of all, that has nothing to do with what you said. You said Strome needs to stay in the AHL to continue developing. Now it has nothing to do with his development, and everything to do with how the Isles handle rookies?

Second, do you really believe the Isles would call up Strome only to shuffle him in and out of the lineup? At this point it seems a little far fetched. Once the time comes for Strome's promotion, I'd be willing to bet that it will be in a full-time, top-9 role.

..and one more thing, most rookies do deal with struggles, but most rookies aren't top-10 prospects. The rookies who generally have the biggest impact are guys like Strome. Again, look around the league. Actually come to think of it, finding a prospect as good as Strome with as much development as Strome has had is about as rare as it gets. If that doesn't 'ease' the transition, then what the hell was the point of being as uber-cautious as the Isles have been with him?

Sure it does, if the rookie is not carrying his weight or struggling, there are defensive lapses, reduced ice time, scratch in the pressbox, etc.

Of course Strome's role will be a Top 9 role, his game isn't conducive to playing on the 4th line.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Sure it does, if the rookie is not carrying his weight or struggling, there are defensive lapses, reduced ice time, scratch in the pressbox, etc.

Of course Strome's role will be a Top 9 role, his game isn't conducive to playing on the 4th line.

I meant full-time top-9 as in never seeing the press-box. At least not the way Nelson has(2 games here, 2 games as a scratch, etc.). Obviously if any player struggles that badly he'll eventually ride the pine, I just don't see Strome getting to that point at least not until he gets a long look. In which case he'll probably just be sent back down to the Bridge.

Either way, none of that matters IMO, since I'm about as confident in him as I've been in any prospect we've had without the initials "J.T.".

DPSNAGS

Dec 3, 2007
The system is actually really bad.

The 3rd line isn't a threat to score with Grabner on it. The 2nd line isn't a threat to score with PMB on it. Swap the two, have two lines that can actually score in the first and in the second...deal with having the third not score.

Bringing up Strome actually congests the forwards even more than they are right now and that isn't going to solve our problem at all.

The system is actually FINE. Do you remember how we played at the end of the year last year or how we played so well against the Penguins. The Coach is fine and his job is safe IMO.

Completely disagree with you about the 3rd line. Grabner has been apart of our bottom 6 for a reason. Not because hes tired and cant handle the minutes of a top 6 guy. Its because his speed makes him a threat every time hes on the ice. He was the only reason our 3rd line has any offense what so ever last year. Now with clutter it is a little better. I believe management has Nelson fitting in that role but obviously hes not ready for that.

Switching bouchard and grabner would hurt this team IMO. A reason why were successful is that we can roll 4 lines and keep the up tempo pressure going. The reason why Caps is talking about the offense when we are giving up so many goals is that our offensive possession numbers outside of the 1st line are so inconsistent.

The point of this thread was is because in reality, I highly doubt garth makes a major move to add a dman or goaltender in the immediate future. Now i know weve won 2 out of 3 and there is no reason to blow this up but if Strome continues to produce at this level in the AHL, and the secondary scoring isnt what Caps wants it to do then i dont see a problem with this move.

Strome is not Bailey nor Nino. The isles are also above and beyond better when Nino and Bailey both joined the team. Bringing Strome up is a move that management makes because they believe Strome > than Bouchard. Strome didn't make the team because he didnt make the top 6.

If he is brought up, he should be brought up with a long look which is why i dont see this happening tomorrow. This is something i see happening in the next 10-20 games.

BTW staple reported Donovan is injured and that Ness would be getting the call up. More rookies who couldnt beat our Donovan for his spot is not the answer for the D. With what we have, increasing puck possession is what we need to do and Strome may be the answer for that.

DPSNAGS

Dec 3, 2007
Hes Bumping it.

Its been a month now? Strome's on a tear. This team is struggling. You heard what he said. Im ready for a spark. What do you think?

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Hes Bumping it.

Its been a month now? Strome's on a tear. This team is struggling. You heard what he said. Im ready for a spark. What do you think?

He's bumping it ? Who ? I don't get what that is referring to..
Also "you heard what he said " once again , who ? And what ?

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
They can call him up and then do what they are doing to Nelson. 4th line minutes or press box...I'll pass. leave Strome in Bridgeport until either 1) get rid of 1 or more of the freeloaders or 2) a forward goes down to injury. I really don't want Nino 2.0

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I have no problem with Strome coming up. But he's not going to solve any of our top issues.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I have no problem with Strome coming up. But he's not going to solve any of our top issues.

Well, secondary scoring is currently a 'top issue'. While Strome, one player, can't solve it himself(would take more than that; at least one of Bailey, Nielsen, Grabner, PMB, or whoever getting hot), he could end up being a big help in that area and making us a better team as a result. Just look at PP2. Aren't you tired of seeing Clutterbuck every time our first unit comes off the ice(nothing against CC, but he should be nowhere near the PP)?

Who knows, best case scenario is de Haan is for real and Strome is for real. We could have a top-4 D and a top-6 F right in front of our faces, it just comes down to having the balls to give them a shot. With the way we've been playing, why not? Things can't get much worse when you are already losing every night.

If both of these guys do happen to help the team, we could potentially go on a nice run. Especially as our defense begins to get healthier. Why not give it a shot now while there is still some time to salvage the season?

DPSNAGS

Dec 3, 2007
Well, secondary scoring is currently a 'top issue'. While Strome, one player, can't solve it himself(would take more than that; at least one of Bailey, Nielsen, Grabner, PMB, or whoever getting hot), he could end up being a big help in that area and making us a better team as a result. Just look at PP2. Aren't you tired of seeing Clutterbuck every time our first unit comes off the ice(nothing against CC, but he should be nowhere near the PP)?

Who knows, best case scenario is de Haan is for real and Strome is for real. We could have a top-4 D and a top-6 F right in front of our faces, it just comes down to having the balls to give them a shot. With the way we've been playing, why not? Things can't get much worse when you are already losing every night.

If both of these guys do happen to help the team, we could potentially go on a nice run. Especially as our defense begins to get healthier. Why not give it a shot now while there is still some time to salvage the season?

BOOM

trades for D or G dont seem to be happening. this is next move.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
BOOM

trades for D or G dont seem to be happening. this is next move.

actually, firing the coach is the next move. but i have zero problem calling up strome, mayfield and lee...not because I hold out significant hope that they are our salvation, but more so i never have to see regin, pmb and carkner again.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
actually, firing the coach is the next move. but i have zero problem calling up strome, mayfield and lee...not because I hold out significant hope that they are our salvation, but more so i never have to see regin, pmb and carkner again.

hmmm...do you think regin, pmb and carkner could get us a bag of pucks, or just the bag? Honestly, can we just waive them -- addition by subtraction and all. Strome, Lee can't be any worse, and with the D we are icing does it matter who we replace carkner with, its still gonna suck.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
hmmm...do you think regin, pmb and carkner could get us a bag of pucks, or just the bag? Honestly, can we just waive them -- addition by subtraction and all. Strome, Lee can't be any worse, and with the D we are icing does it matter who we replace carkner with, its still gonna suck.

I doubt we'd get anything for any of them, maybe PMB just on pedigree, but i'd dare any team to take them. Totally space wasters. Since all they do is less than zero, i have a pretty strong hunch that strome and lee can handle accomplishing that much. possibly, hopefully, a tad more.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Well, secondary scoring is currently a 'top issue'.
The second and third lines are all but asleep, but when you are giving up 4 - 6 goals a night that is more like problem "C." Problems A & B are defense and goaltending, and in that order (and yes Steve-O, I saw you finally capitulate to my point two weeks ago about D being a slightly bigger concern over G, haha.)

While Strome, one player, can't solve it himself(would take more than that; at least one of Bailey, Nielsen, Grabner, PMB, or whoever getting hot), he could end up being a big help in that area and making us a better team as a result. Just look at PP2. Aren't you tired of seeing Clutterbuck every time our first unit comes off the ice(nothing against CC, but he should be nowhere near the PP)?

Pie in the sky. CdH has had one whole game with us. Bailey had 10 decent ones when he entered the league and look where that got us. On the roulette table of life you are taking the top 10% chance of coming up aces and applying it like it is a 50%/50% proposition. It isn't. I am much warmer on CdH after his first game, but let's give it 5 before we go crazy calling him top 4 (and by top 4, do you mean our top 4 or any other normal team's top 4? Our top 4 makes a 45 year old Kevin Hatcher look like HOF material.) Strome as well - I expect good things, and I am all for bringing him in and getting rid of either PMB or Regin (please PLEASE do this), but I'm not doing it with the thought of calling him some sort of savior.

He would probably be an upgrade. I am all for upgrades at this point. It does nothing to absolve Snowballs or Chucko from acquring a goaltender and/or a defenseman.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
The second and third lines are all but asleep, but when you are giving up 4 - 6 goals a night that is more like problem "C." Problems A & B are defense and goaltending, and in that order (and yes Steve-O, I saw you finally capitulate to my point two weeks ago about D being a slightly bigger concern over G, haha.)

Pie in the sky. CdH has had one whole game with us. Bailey had 10 decent ones when he entered the league and look where that got us. On the roulette table of life you are taking the top 10% chance of coming up aces and applying it like it is a 50%/50% proposition. It isn't. I am much warmer on CdH after his first game, but let's give it 5 before we go crazy calling him top 4 (and by top 4, do you mean our top 4 or any other normal team's top 4? Our top 4 makes a 45 year old Kevin Hatcher look like HOF material.) Strome as well - I expect good things, and I am all for bringing him in and getting rid of either PMB or Regin (please PLEASE do this), but I'm not doing it with the thought of calling him some sort of savior.

He would probably be an upgrade. I am all for upgrades at this point. It does nothing to absolve Snowballs or Chucko from acquring a goaltender and/or a defenseman.

I'm not calling him a top-4. I don't know if Strome can be a top-6 forward right out of the gate either. All I'm saying is that this team sucks, and when you have a kid(who I've always been a big fan of; just read my post history) who looked like our best or 2nd best defensemen in his first game of the season, and another kid who is considered a top-10 prospect in hockey who is currently on a tear in the AHL, both of whom fit current needs, IMO it doesn't make sense to not play them.

Whatever percentage chance you think they have of succeeding shouldn't really mean anything either. Even if it's 10%, I'll take that over the chances we have of winning with this current group: probably 0%.

Goaltending isn't going to be addressed until this team shows signs of life. Snow isn't going to throw away assets to bring in an impending UFA goalie(which will probably be the only goalies available) on a team that's currently 3rd or 4th from the bottom. Start playing the two youngsters more and see if the team improves or even starts to win. If they do, then by all means go out and get your goaltender.

camper*

For some reason they are stuck on the X/O's…they love having right handed shots no matter the fit…a similar example of X/0's is/was 2 face-off guys on the pk..more last year than this yr.. Sure winning face-offs helps…but giving the puck away when the D got it defeats the theory.
This slump has many causes…they multiply due to key issues…D…backing up…east/ west puck movement rather than exit North/South movement…bad goals at the wrong time which take away any step forward the team makes.
Finally.. belief in whats going on around you can be the key element…..use the TEAM…as in the case of the last min loss to the Caps…forget trying to pad and rub your money players rhubarb on the top line.
TOI has been terrible…was terrible in last yrs. slump playing top line mins of 22-25 mins with 1min plus shifts is a recipe for disaster..and makes for cold legs/never mind what it does to players psyche sitting waiting for the call. This team won last yr for one simple reason..the bottom lines dug in deep when called upon to turn things around…the team then followed…But ice time is the key;)
This team has top six problems….same mentality of tick tack toe hockey and personel…..if the stars are really stars adding muscle will make room..but a closer look whether its 5-5 or pp shows…the need for easy tap in type goals..Why you ask? Its the type of perimeter players. I have watched the Isles place net presence out front..be it Vanek/Martin…no shots come? The few that do get get loose happen from the points only when they see the net?..the balance are off target or are blocked…Take a look at how long the D take to shoot?…the mentality is not there..rather always an extra look to pass.
These are good players..dealt a bad hand thru injury..usage(TOI)….And bad luck due to untimely goals. Size on the back end is a issue..it can be resolved..how?..Don't over handle the puck..move it..you won't get hit and getting hit is where the size issue is most glaring. The D is mobile for sure..but using this mobility to play dodge the hit is a key problem. They are not bad players..they keep running into the door without turning the knob.
Vanek/Bailey/Martin..game fits on a line more so than any combination ..try it you'll like it.(p.s.Vanek will have to occasionally sweat)

Last edited by a moderator:

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I don't think I would call up Strome until a coaching change happened.

Look at what is happening with Nelson. He is one of the better Isles in terms of scoring (5th on the team in ppg despite limited ice time) and he is constantly benched. He looked great with JT, so of course when he does play it's limited to third/fourth line duty with no power play time. Because our powerplay is so awesome.

Capuano has no clue how to teach and develop players. Why bring Strome into this mess?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I don't think I would call up Strome until a coaching change happened.

Look at what is happening with Nelson. He is one of the better Isles in terms of scoring (5th on the team in ppg despite limited ice time) and he is constantly benched. He looked great with JT, so of course when he does play it's limited to third/fourth line duty with no power play time. Because our powerplay is so awesome.

Capuano has no clue how to teach and develop players. Why bring Strome into this mess?

For some reason Capuano shows so much loyalty to our 'big' acquisitions. Because of that, guys like Nelson will never play over guys like PMB. Maybe Snow plays a role in that. Not sure. Either way, it's a joke. Capuano should realize that his job is on the line and he desperately needs to win games. To win games he's going to need to play the best lineup possible.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
What pisses me off is if Strome is called up you know that the person sitting or getting sent down will be Nelson. Regin/Bouchard will not sit for Strome.

What I want to see

Vanek-Tavares-Nelson
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Strome-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-Mcdonald

Bouchard in if any of the wingers continue to struggle. Regin if a center gets hurt.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
For some reason Capuano shows so much loyalty to our 'big' acquisitions. Because of that, guys like Nelson will never play over guys like PMB. Maybe Snow plays a role in that. Not sure. Either way, it's a joke. Capuano should realize that his job is on the line and he desperately needs to win games. To win games he's going to need to play the best lineup possible.

Snowang justifying the signings.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I get it for PMB, but why Regin? He was a border-line guy when we signed him and is only making 750K. If he's benched, I doubt many people would be laughing about how Snow screwed up.

I don't think anyone would be laughing about either of them getting benched. They were stopgaps and they already had run their course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad