Call-Up Coming?

DPSNAGS

Dec 3, 2007
what do you guys think about calling up Strome if we continue to play like this for another 5-10 games or so. Obviously offense is not the problem but the market for a defenceman or goaltender is tough right now.

Bringing strome up to play alongside frans would bring more speed to that line. Caps talked about last night how the 2nd line needs to do better. I see him moving grabs up but the i see our 3rd line struggling. I see strome coming up at some point in the year. He currently has 14 points in 9 games. If his stats continue for the next 5-10 games and our secondary units are still struggling, is this our next move?

I say this because i dont see garth dealing for a goalie or dman for the forseeable future. What do you think?

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
what do you guys think about calling up Strome if we continue to play like this for another 5-10 games or so. Obviously offense is not the problem but the market for a defenceman or goaltender is tough right now.

Bringing strome up to play alongside frans would bring more speed to that line. Caps talked about last night how the 2nd line needs to do better. I see him moving grabs up but the i see our 3rd line struggling. I see strome coming up at some point in the year. He currently has 14 points in 9 games. If his stats continue for the next 5-10 games and our secondary units are still struggling, is this our next move?

I say this because i dont see garth dealing for a goalie or dman for the forseeable future. What do you think?

is strome changing positions to defense?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

They only have 6 healthy D so they aren't calling up a forward.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Like everyone else I can't wait to see Strome in the lineup but I just don't see the point unless we are just conceding that we are going to give up 3-5 goals game and we are just gonna try to outscore teams.

The call-up should be the defenseman playing the best in Bridgeport. Whoever that is, I can't se them playing worst and I would like for them to have some semblance of physicality to their game. Hoping for Reinhart but IF its Finley and he has figured out how to use his height then so be it.

Honestly I think its more than just the defenseman themselves, it has to do with the system but that's not changing at this point so the best caliber defenseman in the lineup is our next best option

DPSNAGS

Dec 3, 2007
The system is fine. We saw that last year. We had Vis and Streit to anchor the d lines where hamonic and macdonald aren't. W/o vis the D is lost. Im all for adding a dman. Carkner has no right to be a starter in this league anymore. Radek is also not an everyday dman but many teams are looking for dman and i think garth will try and hold out until vis and strait come back.

I'm bringing up the strome arguement because if were still this streaky in another 10 games and hes still producing at this level in the AHL, will it be time to bring him up. Caps said hes going to change the lines but i want to keep that 1st line intact. Bouchard has been real streaky so far this year. Moving grabs to the 2nd line takes away our balanced scoring threat.

Bringing strome up would be to solidify our top 6 b.c caps isnt happy with it right now.

Our biggest concern is D and goaltending for sure but i dont see a move being made in these areas until Vis is ruled out for an extended period or until near Christmas.

Bringing strome up would be to solidify our secondary scoring which Caps said he didn't like. If strome continues to produce the way he is, and bouchard is still streaky then i think its the right move.

This is a move id want to wait for 10 games or so but its something i think garth should think about.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Like everyone else I can't wait to see Strome in the lineup but I just don't see the point unless we are just conceding that we are going to give up 3-5 goals game and we are just gonna try to outscore teams.

The call-up should be the defenseman playing the best in Bridgeport. Whoever that is, I can't se them playing worst and I would like for them to have some semblance of physicality to their game. Hoping for Reinhart but IF its Finley and he has figured out how to use his height then so be it.

Honestly I think its more than just the defenseman themselves, it has to do with the system but that's not changing at this point so the best caliber defenseman in the lineup is our next best option

Reinhart can't be called up(if I understand the CHL-NHL agreement correctly). That ship has sailed.

At this point though I think CdH would be the obvious choice. He doesn't have the ideal size but he is IMO the only guy we have down there who could surprise and give us top-4 caliber defense. I don't see anyone else being any better than what we already have.

DPSNAGS

Dec 3, 2007

De-Haan or Ness or Pedan are our logical options in BP. I dont see Caps putting Donovan with another rookie Dman hence the reason we signed Martinek. The uncertainty of the extent of vis injury is what scaring me.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If their going to leave Grabner on the 3rd line thn I would Rather have Strome playing with Nielsen and Bailey than PMB....

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
I have a feeling Snow will sign another cheap D FA that is sitting on the sidelines, like he did with Martinek.

Anyone know which FA defensemen are still left without a contract, and that haven't been signed to play in europe?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Strome is not the savior. My lord.

Nino struggled. Donovan is struggling. All of a sudden Strome is gonna be on the 2nd line, cranking out PP goals left and right and all Isles fans rejoice this player never experienced any growing pains and won the calder, MVP, and helped the Isles win their first playoff series in ages.

Let the kid friggin develop in the AHL. The Isles problems are not Strome-worthy. Rather, they are the defense is weak, the goalie is weak, and the forwards sometimes don't want to backcheck (a MAJOR problem most teams face with rookies coming into the NHL, so no Strome doesn't help).

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I'd just like to point out that while this may be worth a look by now, there are much bigger problems on defense and in net, and behind the bench.

How about they worry about those issues first? Just a crazy thought....

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I wouldn't use the Caps game as a gauge, it was just a bad night, but it's definitely the defense and goaltending that need help. The forwards haven't done a great job on the defensive side of the puck either.

If you look at Advanced Stats, Goals For/Goals Against/per 60min 5on5 and any other metric related to 5on5 play, there are CLEAR outliers on both sides. Pretty polarizing.

Consider Visnovsky being the best dman and Carkner-Donovan the worst, you can see how missing one key player impact these New York Islanders.

Also, Cizikas, McDonald, Martin, Bouchard, MacDonald - their struggles are easily seen in the numbers, reflecting what the eyes have seen.

Isles have been very healthy this year and although they miss Visnovsky, it's pretty pathetic to attribute the team's problems to one player. Their lack of depth is apparent, if not OBVIOUS, but Snow's got to address some of these holes at some point.

Capuano needs to at least 1) watch the games closely and 2) see that the stats reflect what is eyes see and THEN, 3) start to divide the ice-time and player selection to give the team the best chance possible.

If he can cite Nabokov's record vs Washington as a reason to start, then why can't he cite numbers to reflect cutting MacDonald's time on ice? or PP time?

Don't get it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The system is fine. We saw that last year. We had Vis and Streit to anchor the d lines where hamonic and macdonald aren't. W/o vis the D is lost. Im all for adding a dman. Carkner has no right to be a starter in this league anymore. Radek is also not an everyday dman but many teams are looking for dman and i think garth will try and hold out until vis and strait come back.

The system is actually really bad.

I'm bringing up the strome arguement because if were still this streaky in another 10 games and hes still producing at this level in the AHL, will it be time to bring him up. Caps said hes going to change the lines but i want to keep that 1st line intact. Bouchard has been real streaky so far this year. Moving grabs to the 2nd line takes away our balanced scoring threat.

The 3rd line isn't a threat to score with Grabner on it. The 2nd line isn't a threat to score with PMB on it. Swap the two, have two lines that can actually score in the first and in the second...deal with having the third not score.

Bringing up Strome actually congests the forwards even more than they are right now and that isn't going to solve our problem at all.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013

Nino struggled. Donovan is struggling. All of a sudden Strome is gonna be on the 2nd line, cranking out PP goals left and right and all Isles fans rejoice this player never experienced any growing pains and won the calder, MVP, and helped the Isles win their first playoff series in ages.

Let the kid friggin develop in the AHL. The Isles problems are not Strome-worthy. Rather, they are the defense is weak, the goalie is weak, and the forwards sometimes don't want to backcheck (a MAJOR problem most teams face with rookies coming into the NHL, so no Strome doesn't help).

What makes you so sure Strome will struggle? He's not the problem and shouldn't be in this discussion, but I'm guessing he would outperform: PMB, Regin, CMAC, Clusterphuck, and Martin...in the least. It's all speculation, but dissing Strome is never a smart approach to anything.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
What makes you so sure Strome will struggle? He's not the problem and shouldn't be in this discussion, but I'm guessing he would outperform: PMB, Regin, CMAC, Clusterphuck, and Martin...in the least. It's all speculation, but dissing Strome is never a smart approach to anything.

Those players have different roles than Strome. Put him there, then Islandersnation will be in an uproar that he is not being used correctly.

Not dissing Strome, rather he's not the solution to the Isles problems.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

I could care less about changing much offensively, but I hate how Isles fans assume that Strome will struggle, or that he 'needs' AHL time based solely upon how a 19 year old Nino played in a 4th line role, or how an 18 year old Bailey played with zero supporting cast.

Look around the league. Usually the highly touted forward prospects are the rookies who make an impact right off the bat. They also generally make that impact with less development than what Strome currently has under his belt.

BTW, Strome's defensive game is much better than most around here(including yourself, I'm guessing) are giving him credit for.

Hipster Doofus

Sep 1, 2006
I wouldn't use the Caps game as a gauge, it was just a bad night, but it's definitely the defense and goaltending that need help. The forwards haven't done a great job on the defensive side of the puck either.

If you look at Advanced Stats, Goals For/Goals Against/per 60min 5on5 and any other metric related to 5on5 play, there are CLEAR outliers on both sides. Pretty polarizing.

Consider Visnovsky being the best dman and Carkner-Donovan the worst, you can see how missing one key player impact these New York Islanders.

Also, Cizikas, McDonald, Martin, Bouchard, MacDonald - their struggles are easily seen in the numbers, reflecting what the eyes have seen.

Isles have been very healthy this year and although they miss Visnovsky, it's pretty pathetic to attribute the team's problems to one player. Their lack of depth is apparent, if not OBVIOUS, but Snow's got to address some of these holes at some point.

Capuano needs to at least 1) watch the games closely and 2) see that the stats reflect what is eyes see and THEN, 3) start to divide the ice-time and player selection to give the team the best chance possible.

If he can cite Nabokov's record vs Washington as a reason to start, then why can't he cite numbers to reflect cutting MacDonald's time on ice? or PP time?

Don't get it.
PMB has the best zone entry stats on the team and literally every players time spebt in the O zone is higher when playing with him. Thats a big ass post when your facts arent in place.

The Isles defense is down to its barebones. It got burned vs Washington. You can play matchups all you want but this is a team that will struggle to shutdown high end offensive threats if they are going all out.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
If you started the season with Strome fine, but at this juncture you leave him working in AHL getting top line minutes.

I would love to see a third line of Brock, Strome and PMB but again that's only if Strome had started the season here and we were dedicated to giving the kid consistency.

However, to call him up now when the offense is the least of our worries would stunt Strome imo.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I would rather see De Haan called up. He is not as flashy as Donovan, won't rack up the points, but he is reportedly more poised then Donovan.

Remember, Hamonic was not drawing raves in the AHL.

I think this is a low risk, possible nice reward move

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I could care less about changing much offensively, but I hate how Isles fans assume that Strome will struggle, or that he 'needs' AHL time based solely upon how a 19 year old Nino played in a 4th line role, or how an 18 year old Bailey played with zero supporting cast.

Look around the league. Usually the highly touted forward prospects are the rookies who make an impact right off the bat. They also generally make that impact with less development than what Strome currently has under his belt.

BTW, Strome's defensive game is much better than most around here(including yourself, I'm guessing) are giving him credit for.

It's because a majority of rookies do struggle coming into the NHL. The Isles are bouncing rookies in between the pressbox and ice AND when given NHL icetime, it's limited. Is the mighty Strome going to overcome all that?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
PMB has the best zone entry stats on the team and literally every players time spebt in the O zone is higher when playing with him. Thats a big ass post when your facts arent in place.

The Isles defense is down to its barebones. It got burned vs Washington. You can play matchups all you want but this is a team that will struggle to shutdown high end offensive threats if they are going all out.

zone entry is ONE STAT.

what about the others that show how ineffective he is, specifically in GF/GA when he's on or off the ice? Linemate Nielsen is 3rd BEST, Bouchard is among the WORST. Pretty amazing considering they have been on the SAME LINE when PMB has played his best (which still sucks)

Zone entry? Seriously? For a figure skater, he BETTER BE great at zone entry, so is Scott Gomez.

That line (PMB-Frans-JB) is great at zone entry and passing around the perimeter, they all play the same. That's why the line sucks, especially against big/good teams/defensemen.

Cherry pick a stat if you wish. But your eyes should show you that Bouchard sucks. And MOST of the "advanced" numbers will show the same thing.

Last edited:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
We desperately needed a defenseman.

We got Vanek.:D

Yeah. I agree with this. I like the Vanek move but it doesn't help the team at all - doesn't address the biggest weakness, which is (arguably) the most important aspect of winning games.

Last year, the Islanders finished the season (the last 5-6 weeks) being one of the best defensive teams in hockey. Part of that was Nabokov's solid play but their defense played amazing - moving the puck quickly, staying away from danger. All those close games were WINS for a change.

This year, they are finding ways to lose. Streit/Donovan is not a key reason IMO. Donovan doesn't play those minutes or those situations and Streit wasn't great last year. This is a poor team effort defensively and shoddy goaltending.

Needs to be addressed.

It's because a majority of rookies do struggle coming into the NHL. The Isles are bouncing rookies in between the pressbox and ice AND when given NHL icetime, it's limited. Is the mighty Strome going to overcome all that?

Very true. Maybe Strome's the exception (I think he would be) but most likely not. Gotta put players into situations where they can succeed. For all the whining about Nino, he had 55 games at 19 and a 9 game stint the year before, THEN a full year in BP.

Strome hasn't played ONE GAME in the NHL yet. He's earned at least a few!

But again, he cannot help the team defensively, defensemen or goaltending. Moot point.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
We desperately needed a defenseman.

We got Vanek.:D

In the long run I think this was the right move. How often do you see the type of D get moved that this team needs? Realistically who would be the defenseman that this team could acquire for that package? A Mark Staal type? And if that was the case what team is giving that type of player up?

I feel at the end of the day the value that Vanek brought back is much better than the value of a Dman that package would've brought back.

camper*

You've been reading that Garik(nickname Gardick) stuff…..not only can he not apply nor understand the data he spews their are those as yourself that are …. on the bandwagon with "entry zone this..Corsi that yet are not applying it correctly….if you wish to apply entry zone #'s at least apply them correctly..You must have a hockey background not just read numbers to understand what/why thing are happening. This is not mean't to be a knock against your PBM statement ..but more goes into why and how to cross reference what you read.

O zone possession is also very high in europe on the big rinks…yet few can play in the NHL. Carefull what you read if you cannot apply it…as in the case of Gardick…yet I must say he is good for a chuckle or 2.:laugh:…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad