Calgary's Mike Smith had 22 losses this year, Calgary scored 0 or 1 goal in 16 of them

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Mike Smith

I think it has become easy to blame the goalies for Calgary but if anything I was amazed to read this stat. If you need your goalie to be perfect every night to win, that is not a recipe for success, and I think some major changes are needed in Calgary.

Also kind of funny or ironic giving his comments to start the year

Mike Smith quips he's excited to pass to players who 'can actually score'

Mike Smith took a not-so-subtle dig at his former Arizona Coyotes teammates Monday in a playful moment during a radio interview in his new NHL home.
The new Calgary Flames goaltender uncorked the zinger after being asked by Sportsnet 960's Rob Kerr how many people have already told Smith they can't wait to see him fire passes "right up the gut" to Johnny Gaudreau.
"I'm really looking forward to passing (to) some of these guys that can actually score!" Smith said with a laugh, before adding, "Did I say that on live radio?" with more laughter.

Reactions: bukwas and Sk8M8

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Mike Smith

I think it has become easy to blame the goalies for Calgary but if anything I was amazed to read this stat. If you need your goalie to be perfect every night to win, that is not a recipe for success, and I think some major changes are needed in Calgary.

Also kind of funny or ironic giving his comments to start the year

Mike Smith quips he's excited to pass to players who 'can actually score'

If you watched the games this year, you'll know Mike Smith was never the problem.

He's the main reason they aren't in the running for Dahlin.

He did everything and more than was asked of him. The rest of the team fell flat on their faces, minus one, maybe two, players.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
The Flames were in a playoff run for most of the season, even 2nd in the Pacific before their week off. People here talk as if the Flames are bottom of the league. Smith's injury came at the worst time possible. And then everything fell apart.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
If you watched the games this year, you'll know Mike Smith was never the problem.

He's the main reason they aren't in the running for Dahlin.

He did everything and more than was asked of him. The rest of the team fell flat on their faces, minus one, maybe two, players.

Wasn't that what OP was saying all along? :huh:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
That’s the type of stuff that makes a goalie want to kick his teammates asses. Put the damn puck in the net, he’s giving you a chance to win every night. Infuriating.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Smith and the first line were holding the Flames in the playoffs/on the cusp for the first 3 months of the season. Took around 23 games for the bottom 6 for the bottom six to score their first goal.

Flames have no depth scoring; Smith only sucked when he came back from injury and the odd game here and there before that.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Flames need more players with good scoring ability. Could see them targetting JVR this offseason for sure.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Hockey gods really kicking some butts this year.. Smith says finally he goes to a team that can score, Calgary only scores 10 more goals than Arizona and misses the playoffs. Duchene says he wants to go to a playoff team.

Lol

But yeah Smith had a good year. I think he could’ve been even better (said it himself i think) but there was just too much pressure on the goalie. When your team cant score as a goalie you try to do too much, something he kinda admitted at the end of the year too.

Calgary was a mediocre team this year, heck, they were probably mediocre last year too. They had less pts than Florida this year and got swept in the 1st round.

I thought they would stay a playoff team with Hamonic and Smith but it just goes to show you can’t replace the something to prove attitude with a couple players. They were frustrating to watch because the spurts of good play and focus was there, then they’d take their foot off the gas a little bit and start losing and have to dig themselves out of a hole to feel good again.

Smith deserves to play for a team that’s on a mission to make it. Hopefully that’s Calgary next year.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Smith's injury really hurt the team (No pun intended) IMO. Shame too they were looking quite good for a while. I think they should be fine next year. Wonder if Gulutzan will keep his job though.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
If it makes you feel any better, the Habs were held scoreless in 12 of their games this year. 30th(?) in scoring. And when asked about the lack of offense the GM blames it all on poor attitude and Price.

Hoping the Flames can get it going next year.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I thought it was just a matter of goaltending? What’s the new excuse this year?

Woodtkachuk

Jun 2, 2011
All the top guys for the flames (especially Smith) played well this year with the exception of Brodie. Their depth and specialty teams just couldn't do anything.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The irony is delicious given his comments at the start of the season.

As a Flames fan I don't find it delicious . . . But yeah, the irony is there considering he said something along the lines of "looked forward to backstopping a group that he didn't need to be perfect for night in and night out."

Lol, yeah. Calgary's offensive production was atrocious, particularly down the stretch.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
he was the sole reason they started so strong. he brought his A game. then he got hurt and never found it when he came back. flames ended up where the deserved this year. are they better then their record? I think so but I always had them a bubble team

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ya no one blamed Smith. Sure he wasn't great after the injury but we couldn't score so it didn't really matter.

I still can't figure out if we just got horribly unlucky or our entire team sucks at shooting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad