Pre-Game Talk: Calgary @ Toronto | Friday at 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don't know how anyone can say Thornton adds very little

On the ice, he could be replaced by virtually any winger on the taxi squad and we would lose nothing. In the locker room he is invaluable.

Big Joe is about 2 years past his retire before date.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
hate to burst your bubble there mate, but JT has been a captain everywhere he's played, starting in tyke hockey, Matty while being a truly great player and the best player on every team he's played on, has never worn the C, not at any level, at least to my knowledge.

It almost seems like the best player on the team gets the C, but some guys just don't wear it very easily and so never accept it, if offered

Gordie Howe took it reluctantly, wore it for 4 short years and gave it back saying he didn't want it

Bobby Orr only wore it his last year in Oshawa and turned it down in Boston every time it was offered to him

Bobby Hull only took the A near the end of career, didn't want anything to do with letters

The Rocket only wore it for his last 4 years in the NHL, because he knew he was going to retire soon. From day 1 he was the best player in Montreal and neck and neck with Howe as the leagues best player.
JT wasn't the Capt in minor hockey when he played with the Marlies and he has never led a team anywhere in jr or the NHL . When he got the C it was because he was teams best player and not because he was some great leader . The Leafs gave him the C because it was the pc thing to do especially after AM dropping his pants since they know Johnny has the personality of a rock and basically just spews the company line and the typical hockey cliches .

Matty said he never wore the C growing because he always played with older players which makes sense .

and the thing i find strange is you'll see pictures of the young guys together with Marleau before and now with Jumbo/Simmonds but i never see JT in them

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Galy and Simmonds in tonight

Alex Galchenyuk will make his Toronto Maple Leafs debut tonight. Wayne Simmonds will play. Via Twitter Luke fox

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
That one time, that you hope your waiver player gets claimed, they probably won't. Please, please claim him, and let the Leafs angels sing.
On the one hand, GURL BYE.

On the other, our two main goalies are battling injuries. I really, really, REALLY, do not want to see f***in Marincin in the net. That's just how this works.

Reactions: Pinto

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Was hoping for Jack to start but tomorrow I guess
Someone will claim Hutch

I'm not as certain of that. While injury situations around the league might make a claim possible, I think the extra year on the contract could scare teams off from doing so.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Am I being a homer if I say there's only 1 uncertain spot in that entire roster?
2LW is slightly questionable and by all accounts is the piece we're looking to trade for.

Truth be told, Dubas has set all the pieces in place incredibly well. This boils down to execution.

Reactions: Coachcorner

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Am I being a homer if I say there's only 1 uncertain spot in that entire roster?
2LW is slightly questionable and by all accounts is the piece we're looking to trade for.

Truth be told, Dubas has set all the pieces in place incredibly well. This boils down to execution.

How's Thornton not uncertain? The guy is 41 years old, he is not a 1st liner or a top 6er. The whole left side is weak. Overall, the team does look good. Just don't be a homer and say this team is almost perfect.

Reactions: ToneDog

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
If Galy can contribute and play better than Kerfoot this would be a scary sexy line up
For the regular season yes sire, but not for the playoffs. Dubas, Kyle will make a trade for us and get a bigger impact player, tougher, meaner and readier for the REAL gezames. Galghniuk is not a player for those games, so he's only acting for us right now. We'll get foligno, glendeling or E.Staal type for those games. Maybe even Palmieri. But I guarantee one thang right nezow: Alex Galcheniuk won't play not one playoff game for the maple leafs. Not ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad