GDT: Calgary Pickles vs Carolina Picklecanes - "Pickle pickle pickle"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Missed this one, would anyone be kind enough to summarize? How did Elliott look?

Summary: sloppy, no intensity, poorly disciplined. Elliott was meh at best. Got better after letting in goal #3 but at that point it's kinda like, well...

Redeeming qualities: Gaudreau scored. Backlund and Frolik still look great. Kulak looked fantastic.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Missed this one, would anyone be kind enough to summarize? How did Elliott look?

Solid for the most part. Would love if he'd made a save on just one of those first three goals, but I wouldn't call them bad goals, by any stretch.

The team itself looked like a 30th place team until halfway through. They didn't have a single scoring chance in that time, and were down 3-0. Then they started actually playing hockey, bizarrely, and from that point on looked like a hockey team. Just too little, too late.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Another sloppy, undisciplined game. Goaltending was average. We had some good plays, but not a consistent 60 min. Unacceptable overall.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

First goal - Troy Brouwer has an idiotic giveaway. Isn't he supposed to be the over 30 vet? Elliott had little chance after that as Teravainen made a very high skill play.

Then the Flames power play sucked. Three straight PPs without a goal.

Then right after, a penalty (or was it two?). You can guess what happened. 2-0 Canes with Engelland screening his own goalie.

Then the Flames power play sucked some more.

Then Dougie and Jokipakka got caught sleeping and a Cane sneaks behind both of them on a cherry pick goal. 3-0 Canes.

Then the Flames power play sucked some more.

Then Brouwer scored a goal but I wasn't watching because it was frustrating.

Then Johnny scored a highlight reel goal. 3-2 Canes

Then ~2:30 left in the game Chiasson takes an offensive zone stick penalty.
Then Brouwer takes another penalty on the PK to give them a 5v3 to close out the game where they got another past Elliott.

Overall, I would give more credit to the Hurricanes for a perfectly played road game than I would the Flames for being unprepared or this or that. It's just really tough to swallow being 1-3-1.

Aug 3, 2010
Oft-repeated but the power play production, or lack thereof, is just too brutal. During 5 on 5 play, the team is unable to keep a puck cycling in the offensive zone for longer than 15, 20 second spurts, not to mention the lack of traffic on most shots. The majority of the dangerous plays this season have been from low-percentage wraparound attempts.

Hard to watch - even harder to believe in.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well at least we have an easy schedule upcoming:

St. Louis
Chicago
St. Louis
Ottawa
Washington
Chicago
San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Dallas

Oh wait.
Sometimes playing better teams is a good thing. FOrces them to be more focused.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
What the funk is going on with this team!? One step forward and then 15 back!

This team just isnt built to be a strong possession team that plays with confidence. If Johnny is off his game, then there is no one to pick up the threat. Im starting to doubt Monahan also. The kid has great flashes but overall just doesnt have the strength with the puck. #1 Centers, on winning team, suck the puck up and control it... most often if not always creating some kind of chances. Money, definitely not there.

And what the hell is it with this team and getting out of their zone!? Granted Carolina had built a nice Trump wall on their blue line but man can we get a break. Most of the time the team tries a pass along the boards, only to fumble it and losing possession.

This team is scrambling and lacks confidence right now. A total repeat of last season and I doubt its going to get better anytime soon.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Well, that was a bizzare game to see live, but had lots of fun :)

Big ups to the Flames fans as well, some of the classiest in the league. Aside from the usual and expected heckling//jeering, most all were very nice and friendly, and made a fan of the visiting team feel really welcome :)

Talked to a few as well, sad I couldn't find anyone from here though, someone (I apologize for forgetting who) still has my name-tag from the draft party :laugh:

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
What the funk is going on with this team!? One step forward and then 15 back!

This team just isnt built to be a strong possession team that plays with confidence. If Johnny is off his game, then there is no one to pick up the threat. Im starting to doubt Monahan also. The kid has great flashes but overall just doesnt have the strength with the puck. #1 Centers, on winning team, suck the puck up and control it... most often if not always creating some kind of chances. Money, definitely not there.

And what the hell is it with this team and getting out of their zone!? Granted Carolina had built a nice Trump wall on their blue line but man can we get a break. Most of the time the team tries a pass along the boards, only to fumble it and losing possession.

This team is scrambling and lacks confidence right now. A total repeat of last season and I doubt its going to get better anytime soon.

5 games in and the bandwagon gets lighter and lighter. Do things have to change .. Of course but it really isn't as bad as many here are touting.

1. The Flames have had one of the busiest schedules starting off. Really makes it difficult to fix things in a few practices as there is a steady stream of GameDay preperation.

2. Between Johnny and Sean there was 1 preseason game. Johnny is frustrated. Part is the contract frustration and the other is trying to learn Gully's system. Johnny is going to struggle in the first half while adapts like he always does.

3. The power play is horrendous because of #2. Gully needs to find some time to get the first unit's confidence up.

4. The secondary scorers need to do more to take the pressure off the first line.

Now for the good. Sean has way more mass and is allot stronger. His ability to stay on the puck will start paying dividends soon.

Hamilton, Jokipaka, Brodie, and England are for the most part doing well on the back end. Gio will get himself sorted soon so that leaves Wideman, Grossman to sit while Kulak gets some seasoning.

Chad has been very solid in the games he has played. Look for Gully to lean on him a bit here early in the season until Elliott gets his crap together.

With only 5 games payed there is no reason to cry the sky is falling.

Things I would like Gully to try
Put Johnny with Sam and Brouwer for a couple games.
Put Thachuk with Sean and Chaisson for those games.

Put Bennett on the first PP on the right side.

Keep focused on reducing the turn overs.

Gully's systems are providing better possession numbers and now is not the time to second guess. It is however the time to get Sean and Johnny sold on the new system and strategies. Once that happens the Flames will start winning allot.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I am a little worried about Monahan, under Gully. Hartley had so much confidence in him and really rode him and you he played like a top player in the NHL for him. I hope that he isn't going to take a step back under this coach and that just it's the entire team playing poorly.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't think Monahans been that bad tbh. He's noticeably bigger and stronger this year, and in that final 2min PK he was running the show. Sean seems to be a slow starter to begin with, so with the injury and coaching change, he hasn't found his groove yet.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't think Monahans been that bad tbh. He's noticeably bigger and stronger this year, and in that final 2min PK he was running the show. Sean seems to be a slow starter to begin with, so with the injury and coaching change, he hasn't found his groove yet.

I agree. He's been ok. Last year he was terrible to start the season. Honestly Johnny and whoever else play on the RW on that line need to pick it up. I'd put Ferly up there. He can't score but he is a possession monster and I really think that's what Johnny and Sean need more then anything.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I am a little worried about Monahan, under Gully. Hartley had so much confidence in him and really rode him and you he played like a top player in the NHL for him. I hope that he isn't going to take a step back under this coach and that just it's the entire team playing poorly.

Fair point. I thought Monahan was totally invisible last night. In fact, most of the forwards were, tbh. It's getting irritating where on a nightly basis I can list the Flames who stood out on one hand. Last night it was Backlund and Frolik (as usual), and I thought Jokipakka and Kulak were pretty good too. Gaudreau actually looked good too, and not just because he scored that goal. He was giving 'er every shift from what I saw. He demanded that puck. Wanted to be a difference maker. It was nice to see.

Hamilton probably had his worst game of the season. Elliott was meh. Brodie struggled again. Chiasson had his worst game by far. Brouwer was meh, even with the goal. There just wasn't a whole lot to be optimistic about last night, sadly.

Not sure where we go from here honestly. The team looks off. They're either a step behind one another or two steps ahead. Nothing was gelling. Compared to Carolina, we looked like a bunch of nobodies who happened to fall on a line with each other.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but during the broadcast they said that Elliott has been dealing with a minor injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad