Proposal: Calgary - Ottawa Blockbuster

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It seems unlikely that Karlsson re-signs here so not sure it makes much sense to trade for him since we are not close enough to "go for it" this year.

Stone also presents a lot of risk of leaving so we could end up with nothing at the end of this year while giving up Gaudreau, Brodie and another 1st which we really shouldn't be trading away.

As for Ottawa they surely could do better rebuilding their team trading both those guys seperately. I am not sure that guys like Gaudreau and Brodie are the age group that they should be targeting. I guess maybe you could argue they don't want to completely tank without having their first pick and having those two signed is a big upgrade on likely losing the two guys they are trading away at the end of the year.

Anyways for me a Flames fan I would pass on two upcoming UFAs with little reason to re-sign here before testing FA.

Reactions: flamesforcup

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
If you can secure Karlsson and Stone for more than a year it would make sense (although signed I think the return is a bit underwhelming). But for 1 year this doesn't make sense for Calgary.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Makes no sense if Karlsson isn't signed. If he is signed however, Calgary would still need to add.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Calgary is a great candidate to trade for Karlsson though, because they have a lot of good defensemen, and Ottawa would want a warm body back, similar to the Oilers' first Pronger trade where we sent Brewer to the Blues.

It would require a re-signed Karlsson, even though Brodie only has this season and next left.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If they're resigned, we think about it.
If not, I don't want Johnny in the deal, we need to clear cap too to keep them.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I don't blame Ott fans for being delusional given the reality of their situation but they shouldn't be surprised when awful proposals like this get shot down.

Pending UFAs have heavily reduced value but more importantly Ott will almost surely find a way to screw this up as much as humanly possible.

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
Only way karlsson is coming to cgy is if they can negotiate an extension and it involves 2 of our top 4 and its done only to save one of our top 4 going into an expansion draft

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Hanifin, Tkachuk, Bennett, Frolik for Karlsson, Stone, Duchene

Calgary becomes an instant contender

Ottawa ushers in their rebuild with some high upside younger players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad