Rumor: Calgary looking at getting a goalie

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Scott Darling may be available for the right price. He has a history with Peters, Hanifin, and Lindholm. He won a Stanley Cup. It’s a great fit. Hopefully the Flames are prepared to make an aggressive offer.
Carolina 1st + Darling @ 50% for a McGrattan jab to Brind'Amour's nose? I think that would be plenty aggressive.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just don't see this making much sense. The Flames just bought out Brouwer in order to have some breathing room after Hanifin is signed. So adding a goalie with a bigger cap hit makes little to no sense. I get inquiring about Saros as he's locked up for a few years at a good cap hit, I could even understand someone like Kinkaid or Neuvirth because they have lower cap hits andcan be a 1B, but otherwise, they would be better off waiting until the end of training cap and grab a veteran backup that is placed on waivers.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Varlamov 50% retained for a top 10 propected 2019 1st? If it's top 10 then it becomes 2020 1st.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I just don't see this making much sense. The Flames just bought out Brouwer in order to have some breathing room after Hanifin is signed. So adding a goalie with a bigger cap hit makes little to no sense. I get inquiring about Saros as he's locked up for a few years at a good cap hit, I could even understand someone like Kinkaid or Neuvirth because they have lower cap hits andcan be a 1B, but otherwise, they would be better off waiting until the end of training cap and grab a veteran backup that is placed on waivers.

I think this is just classic Treliving getting ahead of the game. He's going to want another guy this time next year but he's not going to wait until then to start looking. Feel the market. I really don't think they're looking to add someone right this second unless a great deal comes along (like Nashville moving Saros for some bizzare reason)

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Michael Stone for Craig Anderson might make sense if the Sens are willing to move on from Anderson. Not sure who they have to replace him though.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I'd give Lundqvist to Calgary for a bag of used pucks if it meant securing Jack hughes. The problem is he wouldn't waive his NMC because he cares more about his fashion brand in NYC than winning.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Sparks to the Flames makes a lot of sense, in more ways than just the name :D He's not a no.1 yet, but could be in a couple of years.
Sparks is 25 and has played 17 NHL games in his career, with little success. I get that he's had good AHL seasons, but nobody, NOBODY is trading this guy with the thinking he can be a #1 "in a couple years". It's not even proven that he can be a back up. His value around the league is minimal and him to anywhere doesn't make a lot of sense, as he really solves no needs. He's a dice roll who could maybe be a back up. You can say that same about a bunch of other guys in the league and many of those are waiver exempt still.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Not sure if he’s available, but James Reimer. He’s hard-working and fits the culture of the flames. Cheap cap hit and will fit behind that stacked defense.
Can't see him being available at all. FLA needs insurance for Luongo and wants to make the playoffs this year.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Wings insider just mentioned Howard may be up for rent near the deadline. Not sure how early in the season we'd consider moving him but I'd be fine with running Bernier and Säteri.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Michael Stone for Craig Anderson might make sense if the Sens are willing to move on from Anderson. Not sure who they have to replace him though.
Why would Calgary trade for Anderson when it actually makes them older in net? Also Anderson refused to sign with the Flames when we drafted him, so f*** him and let him rot in the cesspool that is the Senators organization

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think this is just classic Treliving getting ahead of the game. He's going to want another guy this time next year but he's not going to wait until then to start looking. Feel the market. I really don't think they're looking to add someone right this second unless a great deal comes along (like Nashville moving Saros for some bizzare reason)
I agree completely.

Reactions: btimbit

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
They have a Starter right now and his name is Mike Smith. What they need is a stopgap/successor if the kids aren't ready to take over and also because Smith's contract is expiring at age 36 and he's still running on all cylinders O_O. If they don't extend Mike Smith (and the absolutely should), Calgary should have signed Carter Hutton and ran Hutton while developing their blue chip goalies. Problem solved.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I mean I hate Calgary as much as any other Oiler fan, but Smith is a legitimately good goalie.
Calgary's problem is scoring goals. Bottom 5 in the league.

A player who can add about 20 more goals on their own (Panarin?) would probably contribute to significantly more wins than another goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad