Rumor: Calgary looking at getting a goalie

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
If the hawks dont upgrade their defense, they should just move Crawford if he is healthy enough to start the season. only 2 more years left on his deal and they are better off just clearing his cap to try and make some trades and get some free agents next year (Panarin and potential crawford replacement)

Crawford coming back healthy and back to form still doesnt turn the Chicago ship around in the next two years, Bowman has not addressed major defensive holes yet but if Hawks can move anisimov (very doable), clear Crawford (definitely doable if healthy), and somehow cut Seabrook out...

Holyyyyyyyyy sh** Chicago would be sitting on boatloads of cap space (an extra $15+ MM) for the first time since they signed Hossa making them significant players in the FA market which they havent been able to be in the last decade which they badly need because all they have done is purge assets and picks to try and get under the cap. But they finally look like they have a crop of prospects and young talent coming (jokiharju, Boqvist, debrincat, schmaltz, Ejdsell, beaudin, mitchell, sikura, etc) in that will be great complimentary pieces if they can acquire some top free agents

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I don't see any proven number 1 goalies being available.

A target like Saros makes a lot of sense for the Flames. I can't see Nashville moving him though. Rinne is 35. I think Nashville wouldn't sell a young promising goalie to a conference rival given the situation they are in with Rinne.

If the Flames acquire someone more proven that would mean Smith or an expensive roster player going back the other way.

Hard to see something significant happening on this front.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't see any proven number 1 goalies being available.

A target like Saros makes a lot of sense for the Flames. I can't see Nashville moving him though. Rinne is 35. I think Nashville wouldn't sell a young promising goalie to a conference rival given the situation they are in with Rinne.

If the Flames acquire someone more proven that would mean Smith or an expensive roster player going back the other way.

Hard to see something significant happening on this front.

Anderson is rumored to have asked for a trade from OTT.
Howard might shake free from DET due to Bernier signing.

Both could plausibly provide a 1A/1A hot hand platoon with Smith.
Young goalies with 1A/1B upside I do not see shaking free though.

I don't see too many other candidates unless someone decides to dismantle and a starter shakes free into the pool of goalies. Flames aren't the only org looking for a starter.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Can't see any chance of Saros being available, Rinne has 1 year left on his deal and will be 36. Flames are probably looking at a proven backup goalie that can step into a starters role if old man Smith gets injured again, Treliving saw the Flames tumble from 2nd in the division to 6th after key injury's to Smith, Monahan and Tkachuk.

Neuvirth, Reimer or a Bernier type goalie is probably the target, Calgary could part with a pretty good Dman if a right deal is found.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

I don't see too many other candidates unless someone decides to dismantle and a starter shakes free into the pool of goalies. Flames aren't the only org looking for a starter.

And Ottawa uses Condon as a starter? Maybe they'd take Rittich plus back. Calgary would have to dump Frolik though. Not sure if Ottawa would want to pay that.

Howard makes sense.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Might as well just go after a retained carey price at this point, smiths has done a fine job but hes getting up there in age. If you are gonna get a goalie again get someone who can lock down the net for a good 5/6 years

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013

Its definitely hard because there's a few guys that would make sense in tandem situation but you have think they're thinking more for a starter after Smith is done

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
A different goalie isn't what they need..
Calgarys management is all over the place. They make good trades but then their overall management of the roster and coaching staff is bad.
They keep bringing in coaches with systems that don't work with the players they have.
Their d has been overrated and holding them back, they need to ship out 2 of the dmen, and bring up a younger prospects like Valimaki so they can re-sign hanafin, and Tkachuk.
The Ryan signing hurts them too. 3.4mil for someone whos a 4c on that team. Jankowski could of easily covered that role.
They could of used that saved money to find another good top 6 rw to have a top 9 of
gaud-Monahan-neal
Tkachuk-Lindholm-?
bennett-backlund-frolik

As much as I hate the flames, its pretty sad seeing what they have being this badly mismanaged

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
And Ottawa uses Condon as a starter? Maybe they'd take Rittich plus back. Calgary would have to dump Frolik though. Not sure if Ottawa would want to pay that.

Howard makes sense.

If the goal for OTT is to compete, I agree it makes no sense/another team may be required to broker the deal so that Ottawa still retains a decent starter. However, there's the possibility that Ottawa's hands are tied and somehow Anderson must be moved.

But if the mandate ends up being scorched earth rebuild and the games don't matter anyways, a budget team would immediately try to drop to the floor. Condon/Rittich's salary over Condon/Anderson's salary in net is preferable. A team may again be required to broker the deal so that Ottawa can get futures rather than roster players like Frolik. There's issues such as Ottawa not having their first this season, but management may not have a choice if the Karlsson and Stone dominoes look to be falling over. It's a bad for Ottawa fans. It's a rock and a hard place situation.

Calgary needs roster players now. This means the older goalies on middling teams are worth targeting. A younger guy with upside would be nice, but not necessary as we also have hopes that Gillies, Rittich (if not traded) and Parsons steps up in a year or two.

Its definitely hard because there's a few guys that would make sense in tandem situation but you have think they're thinking more for a starter after Smith is done

Depends how confident they are in the youth on the farm. I honestly think they're at least 1-2 seasons away from being around back up level, so a slightly longer duration (2-3 seasons) might be necessary. In such a situation an older guy like Smith or Anderson playing 1B or backup isn't a totally bad situation as a safety net (ie: Allen/Elliott before Allen was given the reigns).

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Sparks to the Flames makes a lot of sense, in more ways than just the name :D He's not a no.1 yet, but could be in a couple of years.

Garrett Sparks is 25 years old and has yet to hit 20 games played in his NHL career. To suggest that he's the answer for a team looking for an NHL goalie let alone an NHL starting goalie is deep dish fantasy stuff.

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I think Smith has one year left at least and either Gilles or Rittich should be able to perform backup duties.

I'd prefer they do nothing. Especially until we know what Parsons is.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think Smith has one year left at least and either Gilles or Rittich should be able to perform backup duties.

I'd prefer they do nothing. Especially until we know what Parsons is.

That's a pretty bad idea IMO.

They did that last year and it blew up in their faces.

Giordano is likely to head out to pasture in the next season or two.
They just signed a 31 year old Neal.
Backlund is at his peak.
Half the D-core is up for raises in two years.
Clock is ticking on Gaudreau with 4 years remaining. I doubt he will stick around unless the Flames are serious contenders.

They need to make noise and do it fast or they could be back in the rebuild again without ever breaking out of it.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
That's a pretty bad idea IMO.

They did that last year and it blew up in their faces.

Giordano is likely to head out to pasture in the next season or two.
They just signed a 31 year old Neal.
Backlund is at his peak.
Half the D-core is up for raises in two years.
Clock is ticking on Gaudreau with 4 years remaining. I doubt he will stick around unless the Flames are serious contenders.

The clock is ticking on the current roster. They need to make noise and do it fast or they could be back in the rebuild again without ever breaking out of it.

Two rookie goalies struggled when thrown to the wolves. Not really surprising.

Out to pasture? Giordano has an ideal playing style to age. Ya he won't be top 15 anymore but whatever. Out to pasture is just hilarious.
So? He just needs to score on the PP
He's 29, and our 2nd oldest core piece haha
You mean Brodie? If he deserves a raise I'll be pumped. Otherwise Valimaki, Hanifin, Andersson, and Kylington are our future.
We're starting to worry about contracts that end in 4 years now?

Like aside from Giordano our team is going to get better for the next 2-3 years. But thanks, you just made me feel better about our future if that's all you got.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Two rookie goalies struggled when thrown to the wolves. Not really surprising.

Out to pasture? Giordano has an ideal playing style to age. Ya he won't be top 15 anymore but whatever. Out to pasture is just hilarious.
So? He just needs to score on the PP
He's 29, and our 2nd oldest core piece haha
You mean Brodie? If he deserves a raise I'll be pumped. Otherwise Valimaki, Hanifin, Andersson, and Kylington are our future.

You really think Giordano will be good at 37?
Whatever floats your boat. It's just a matter of time. He's already slowed down offensively from his peak.

Brodie and Hamonic will get a raise no matter if they improve or not. Average second pairing guys are getting $5-6 million.

Hanifin might be the future. The others are unhatched chickens not really trending towards being Giordano good. Replacing your best defenceman is a big deal. Will be tough to replace.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Giordano just had the best season of his career. He was our best player pretty unanmiously. No shit his offense slowed down. He had to cover for Hamilton who is one of like twenty guys in the league more dangerous than Gio in the offensive zone. Yes I think he will be good at 37. He plays a positional style, is our best conditioned athlete and has very little game miles for his age. I think he'll be a legit top 4 guy at 39.

I don't think they'll even resign Hamonic, and Brodie at 6 million would be fantastic. Valimaki or Andersson replacing Stone saves more cap space.

And sure, if none of our prospects work out we'll be in trouble. Add us to the list of every other team in the league. But not many other teams have as many legitimate chances to strike gold on defense as us. Andersson, Valimaki, and Hanifin all have top pairing potential and Kylington is a nice wildcard to have. Hell, I think Pronman just rated him our best prospect which seems wrong to me but anyone who can skate like that is great to have.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad