Proposal: Calgary - Florida

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You all owe us for jumping on that Huberdeau grenade and sending you Bennett for nothing and Tkachuk for Weegar

Don't go looking for the gold gem statements made in the Tkachuk-Huberdeau/Weegar thread then.

I'd be interested in Ekblad.

Would Ekblad for rentals type base even make sense?

Why?
Or is this based on moving Andersson?

Weegar
Andersson
Ekblad

Seems like overkill but Weegar can play LD and did well with Ekblad on his off-hand side.

Reactions: Laus723

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yes, the stanley cup contending florida panthers are going to trade their #1 defenseman for deadline rentals.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I recall a few times Ekblad mentioned as a potential piece to move for cap structure, but roster and timing all seemed weird. Idk why it was mentioned more than once but maybe it has to be off season specific?

Even before value, a Hanifin + Tanev package isn't necessarily enough to address the hole it blows into the roster, even if it also immediately addresses the cap space necessary to extend certain players. A replacement for Ekblad is too hard to come by.

Don't go looking for the gold gem statements made in the Tkachuk-Huberdeau/Weegar thread then.

Why?
Or is this based on moving Andersson?

Weegar
Andersson
Ekblad

Seems like overkill but Weegar can play LD and did well with Ekblad on his off-hand side.

Actually, I'd want to keep one of Weegar or Andersson (more so Andersson). Was thinking a package heavier on the Hanifin/Tanev side.

Could you guys even extend your guys after taking on Weegar? Isn't he only a little less than Ekblad contract next season?

All I know and I'm trying to say is that former Flames seem to flourish in Florida. Maybe there's a timing difference fit, maybe not.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Actually, I'd want to keep one of Weegar or Andersson (more so Andersson). Was thinking a package heavier on the Hanifin/Tanev side.

Could you guys even extend your guys after taking on Weegar? Isn't he only a little less than Ekblad contract next season?

All I know and I'm trying to say is that former Flames seem to flourish in Florida. Maybe there's a timing difference fit, maybe not.

If you want Ekblad then you'd shift Weegar to LD and rock those two together, they played great together for most part.

I think the scary part about Ekblad is his next deal and his inevitable decline which may come sooner than later. The IQ, puck handling and shot are still there and he provides above average defense but the legs are nearly shot.

I don't really see the need for Hanifin in Florida to be honest. Panthers fans love Forsling as their main guy so paying Hanifin $7.5 mil or so on 2nd pair seems silly.

I'm not sure Weegar would come back to Florida? I think majority of Panthers would welcome him back but not sure why CGY would move him, thought he's having a great year so far?

Reactions: Fig and Laus723

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Florida is in win-now mode. Forsling, Reinhart are both UFA after the season and need raises. Panthers will be against the cap and will probably want to extend the players. Lundell is RFA and will also need a raise. Florida could use a D at the deadline. Here it goes:

Calgary get:

- Lundell RFA 2024 .925M 1.775M with bonuses
- Kulikov UFA 2024 1M

Florida get:

- Hanifin UFA 2024 4.95M
I think this deal tries to combine 2 different situations:
-Hanifin getting moved to a team where he'll sign long-term.
-Florida moving on from Lundell to free up cap space to keep high performers they have right now and might lose as UFAs.

I'm not sure those 2 moves are compatible. Hanifin might well get moved by the deadline, but there's no reason for Florida to ship out an RFA before the draft (if they even choose to go that route), at which point they'll know if they're re-signing Reinhart and if cap room has to be freed up somehow.

Reactions: Fig

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Imagine if it said "confirmed with link" with no details for a title

Calgary fans:

1708552008222.png

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If you want Ekblad then you'd shift Weegar to LD and rock those two together, they played great together for most part.

I think the scary part about Ekblad is his next deal and his inevitable decline which may come sooner than later. The IQ, puck handling and shot are still there and he provides above average defense but the legs are nearly shot.

I don't really see the need for Hanifin in Florida to be honest. Panthers fans love Forsling as their main guy so paying Hanifin $7.5 mil or so on 2nd pair seems silly.

I'm not sure Weegar would come back to Florida? I think majority of Panthers would welcome him back but not sure why CGY would move him, thought he's having a great year so far?

True and good points. If Zito was to call Conroy, it'd be to acquire more of the original truculent core, not his former dudes. Weegar makes less sense than Andersson.

Andersson for Ekblad base is kind of a lateral move roster wise, but it keeps your window open longer AND unlocks cap structure. But the piece that Flames probably want for Andersson probably doesn't make sense for Florida. Increasing the size of the deal probably doesn't help in solving those issues.

Thanks for the insight. Doesn't seem like there's a trade to be made. I just wanted to know whether there's a line of communication worth keeping open if Flames decide to super equip an Eastern team arms race wise. I like what the Panthers are doing and it'd warm my heart to see a bunch of former Flames succeed there if all other things were equal.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't think Florida has the juice to make a Hanifin deal. They're already all in on this team and don't really have picks or prospects in the cupboard that they can swing out to make a deal. Assuming that Conroy will want something similar to Lindholm.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think Florida has the juice to make a Hanifin deal. They're already all in on this team and don't really have picks or prospects in the cupboard that they can swing out to make a deal. Assuming that Conroy will want something similar to Lindholm.

I was just poking a little further because I think that based on the first round pick conditions, if we juice up Florida, we can laugh a lot more at the end result of that damn Monahan trade vs worrying about the type of pick to the end?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Panthers going for Kakko or Kubalik not D

Maybe Mantha?

Has anyone stated what the assumed asking price is for Kakko?

I wish Mantha had any bit of grit or physical play to him and I'd be in.
Not a horrible idea but unsure of his cost?
2nd or 3rd?

True and good points. If Zito was to call Conroy, it'd be to acquire more of the original truculent core, not his former dudes. Weegar makes less sense than Andersson.

Andersson for Ekblad base is kind of a lateral move roster wise, but it keeps your window open longer AND unlocks cap structure. But the piece that Flames probably want for Andersson probably doesn't make sense for Florida. Increasing the size of the deal probably doesn't help in solving those issues.

Thanks for the insight. Doesn't seem like there's a trade to be made. I just wanted to know whether there's a line of communication worth keeping open if Flames decide to super equip an Eastern team arms race wise. I like what the Panthers are doing and it'd warm my heart to see a bunch of former Flames succeed there if all other things were equal.

Are CGY fans liking Conroy so far?
Seems to be letting some of the prospects get their auditions in (Zary, Pospisil, Pelletier etc)
I hope Schwindt gets a look soon (next year). Really liked his game.

Always enjoy our chats, I remember ya from the Tkachuk/Huberdeau trade thread.

Not being a troll but if CGY doesn't make playoffs, FLA has already attracted some bandwagon fans on here so drop by FLAs GDT during playoffs and chat about some ex Flames.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig and Iggys Dome

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

2nd or 3rd?

Seems to be letting some of the prospects get their auditions in (Zary, Pospisil, Pelletier etc)

Not being a troll but if CGY doesn't make playoffs, FLA has already attracted some bandwagon fans on here so drop by FLAs GDT during playoffs and chat about some ex Flames.
Will do! Gotta cheer for you guys anyway for your 2025 pick to be transferred over to Montreal.

As for Conroy, he’s done a very good job so far. He’s a GM with a vision and is executing it well.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer and Fig

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I like the Panthers. Hope they go all the way this year (again).

On the trade proposal: I think the only way we get Lundell is for an extended Hanifin, even then idk if the Panthers go for it.

Reactions: RogerRoger and Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

2nd or 3rd?

Noted. I've barely been able to keep up with Flames related stuff due to illness and personal circumstances but I'll definitely try to do more GDT for both teams when things get better. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad