Proposal: Calgary - Florida

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Florida is in win-now mode. Forsling, Reinhart are both UFA after the season and need raises. Panthers will be against the cap and will probably want to extend the players. Lundell is RFA and will also need a raise. Florida could use a D at the deadline. Here it goes:

Calgary get:

- Lundell RFA 2024 .925M 1.775M with bonuses
- Kulikov UFA 2024 1M

Florida get:

- Hanifin UFA 2024 4.95M

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Florida is in win-now mode. Forsling, Reinhart are both UFA after the season and need raises. Panthers will be against the cap and will probably want to extend the players. Lundell is RFA and will also need a raise. Florida could use a D at the deadline. Here it goes:

Calgary get:

- Lundell RFA 2024 .925M 1.775M with bonuses
- Kulikov UFA 2024 1M

Florida get:

- Hanifin UFA 2024 4.95M
So they're trading Lundell for a rental? Did you actually think this was a good idea when you posted it?

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
If Hanifin came with an extension I would think it wouldn’t be far off. But Florida needs inexpensive contracts to fill out their roster. Also Reinhart is a UFA and Lundell will be needed for a bigger role if they cant resign him. Teams buying rentals come deadline time don’t like to trade players off their roster because then they have another hole on their roster. So futures makes more sense.

Reactions: RCGP2

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Panthers are already set on the blueline.

Would Hanifin be an upgrade? Of Course. At the expense of a 22 year old center that still has untapped offensive potential? Nope.

Zito already went all in 2 years ago and gave away a lot of picks/prospects. I don't think he sees the need/pressure from ownership to sacrifice more youth, especially when that youth plays a decent role on the team.
If anything, Zito should be adding talent next to Lundell, not shipping him off

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Hanafin would be great, and value seems fair, but he's not a need for Florida. Kulikov is fine on the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: Mase

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I read somewhere that Florida was interested as well but I imagine it’d have to be as a pure rental since they won’t be able to extend him unless they let other guys walk

I think a team with the intent to extend him would give up more. They don’t even have a first over the next two years

It would have to be a Lundell type coming back for it to make sense for Calgary and I just don’t see the Panthers doing that at all

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
In a vacuum this trade makes a ton of sense. However, in 2024 the Panthers have a lack of depth scoring and a defensive group that despite it's lack of flashy names has been outstanding this year and does not need an upgrade at the expense of your 3rd line center. This SHOULD be a no from Florida as they are creating a problem to solve a non-existent problem.

If Hanifin really wants to be a Panther he can come in July or find a way to force Calgary to take pennies on the dollar (they shouldn't)

Reactions: Mase and RCGP2

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If Montour is as good as gone, then bringing in Hanifin with an extension is an interesting idea. Our forward group is weaker than our defense and removing Lundell means Stenlund is #3C or Luostarinen moves there from the LW.

But if we move Luo to center, our #2+3+4 LW would now have a combine 16 points in 128 games. That's just dreadful. We need a forward more than a dman.

Reactions: Mase

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You all owe us for jumping on that Huberdeau grenade and sending you Bennett for nothing and Tkachuk for Weegar

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I imagine Flames fans eyes will be twitching just seeing the words Flames Florida Trade :laugh:
Not really. Weegar has been a stud for us. Huberdeau not so much but whatever. Got what we could with Tkachuk.

As for the OP, that’s the only way we give up Hanifin. Don’t see the need on Florida’s end but point stands.

Reactions: LynnLoins

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
As a Habs fan I love this trade. worst case scenario for habs for the Monahan Calgary pick is that Flames suck and Panthers are great in 2025. This trade makes Flames better and panthers worse.

It makes Fla worse significantly in 2024-25 which increases chance that Fla 2025 pick does not go to Calgary ensuring Habs get the Cal 2025 pick. Even if pick still goes maybe its around 18-22 instead of 30

Even if chances of that are remote it makes Calgary better, maybe enough so that their 2025 pick is just outside top 10 ensuring Habs get better of The Flames and panthers picks.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Not really. Weegar has been a stud for us. Huberdeau not so much but whatever. Got what we could with Tkachuk.

As for the OP, that’s the only way we give up Hanifin. Don’t see the need on Florida’s end but point stands.
Whoops kind of forgot about Weegar as part of that trade. :laugh:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Florida went all in a few years ago and can't really afford to again, nor do they really need to. 3rd line wing upgrade, depth defence - think that's all they're going to look at

As a Habs fan I love this trade. worst case scenario for habs for the Monahan Calgary pick is that Flames suck and Panthers are great in 2025. This trade makes Flames better and panthers worse.

It makes Fla worse significantly in 2024-25 which increases chance that Fla 2025 pick does not go to Calgary ensuring Habs get the Cal 2025 pick. Even if pick still goes maybe its around 18-22 instead of 30

Even if chances of that are remote it makes Calgary better, maybe enough so that their 2025 pick is just outside top 10 ensuring Habs get better of The Flames and panthers picks.
If Calgary trades Markstrom before next season basically anything else they do is of no consequence to the pick, they'll be bottom 10

Reactions: CDN24

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
If Florida targets anyone it should be a proven playoff performer. Hanifin isn't that and in fact his playoff performances leave a lot to be desired for. If he really wants to come to Florida, target him in the summer, otherwise pass.

Reactions: Laus723

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I imagine Flames fans eyes will be twitching just seeing the words Flames Florida Trade :laugh:

Tbf it would have been insane value for the Flames for a guy who wanted out if they would have flipped Huberdeau and Weegar on their expiring sweetheart contracts for futures

But Calgary proceeded to Calgary

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Panthers can use a depth defenseman, even though we have 8 NHL ready guys (unlike last off-season), we need a middle 6 winger who fits in well.

Edit: I also don't see Zito's first draft pick going anywhere. Sure he's not scored to level that we hoped yet, but he's great defensively and has played well when he's on a line with higher skilled guys. I definitely don't see him going anywhere for a potential rental. I can see Zito making Ekblad and/or Bob getting moved in the off-season so we have room to both sign a few U/RFAs, and also bringing in an FA or 2.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd be interested in Ekblad.

Would Ekblad for rentals type base even make sense?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00