Calgary Flames to follow Dallas Stars model

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Are they able to attract FAs like Dallas does? I don’t think so. I currently live in Calgary due to a work relocation and it’s a great place for the average Joe but if I had millions I’d be on a one way out ASAP. The scotiabank saddledome is right beside a drop in homeless shelter with lots of drug users. It looks like a zombie apocalypse most nights, just to give you an idea of the teams facility.
Yeah I was gonna say that, the hardest part of that plan for Calgary will be to attract FAs. Are they really gonna sign the Pavel skis, Marchments, Duchenes etc to put the finishing touches on the squad? Otherwise it's a bubble team in a few years, not a SC contender.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Yeah I was gonna say that, the hardest part of that plan for Calgary will be to attract FAs. Are they really gonna sign the Pavel skis, Marchments, Duchenes etc to put the finishing touches on the squad? Otherwise it's a bubble team in a few years, not a SC contender.

Maybe the new arena will help in 2027. Calgary is not a bad city to live in, winters are brutal but it is what it is.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
mind-blown-explosion.gif
"Are you going to adopt the Pittsburgh Model? -Steve Simmons

"What the Hell is a Pittsburgh Model? They won a Goddamn Lottery!" - Brian Burke

Reactions: Chainshot

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
"Are you going to adopt the Pittsburgh Model? -Steve Simmons

"What the Hell is a Pittsburgh Model? They won a Goddamn Lottery!" - Brian Burke
I'll give you my press conference now:

I intend to draft only good players, not bad players.
I will sign only good players.
If I have bad players I'm going to trade them for good players, and that will work for sure.
When I have only good players I will probably try to find even better players.

Hire me please.

• Love
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Hitting on draft picks. Good plan.

Not overpay players… good luck with that considering the city/country your team is located in.

Now, how is he going to convince the Alberta govt that they should stop changing income tax. I hope he’s successful.

These guys are f***ing thick between the ears.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
This thread should be entitled the "NO SHIT REALLY THREAD", Only one team in the NHL is not trying to do this plan and that is the Knights. Build through the draft, develop players and sign vets on good contracts

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
How many first and 2nd overall's does it take? And while they are great this year, are they a cup contender? Since 2010 they've had 4 number 1 picks, and 2 more in the top 4.
If they win the Cup this year, will the people of Edmonton be like "well it took way too many first overalls to get there"?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'll give you my press conference now:

I intend to draft only good players, not bad players.
I will sign only good players.
If I have bad players I'm going to trade them for good players, and that will work for sure.
When I have only good players I will probably try to find even better players.

Hire me please.
Works for me. :)

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
In theory it might be a good plan since Calgary currently has some heavy investment in veteran players but They will need to get some quality prospects up and running and make an impact to complement their veterans quickly and I am not sure they will have the ability to sign the 1 year Matt Duchene level contracts to improve their depth like the Dallas market can attract.. They also need more out of Huberdeau for that cap hit he is getting. Nice in theory but not sure how likely it is.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
How many first and 2nd overall's does it take? And while they are great this year, are they a cup contender? Since 2010 they've had 4 number 1 picks, and 2 more in the top 4.
I keep repeating that this is the worst possible understanding of how any of this works.

Do you understand there is a difference in talent between Yakupov and McDavid?
Because blanketing them both as "they're both 1st overall picks" ignores that there is a massive gulf of ability between the two.

More often than not, 1st overall is a 'decent support player', but not an elite player.

Going back 23 years:
10 elite players
11 good support players
2 busts:

You need about 2 elite players to climb out of the basement, and 3 elite players to contend.
And that's if they have a very solid supporting roster.

Sometimes you'll need like 6 drafts to get 2 elite players like Edmonton.
Sometimes all you'll need is 2.

Buffalo unfortunately only managed to get 2 elite talents in 10 years, and the first one demanded a trade. They need to another one to breakthrough, but they're not bad enough to get 1st overall anymore.

1713805099259.png

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I keep repeating that this is the worst possible understanding of how any of this works.

Because blanketing them both as "they're both 1st overall picks" ignores that there is a massive gulf of ability between the two.

More often than not, 1st overall is a 'decent support player', but not an elite player.

Going back 23 years:
10 elite players
11 good support players
2 busts:

You need about 2 elite players to climb out of the basement, and 3 elite players to contend.

Buffalo unfortunately only managed to get 2 elite talents in 10 years, and the first one demanded a trade. They need to another one to breakthrough, but they're not bad enough to get 1st overall anymore.

View attachment 857369
which is why tanking isn't the full proof method some act like it is.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
No surprise, Calgary doesn’t do rebuilds. It’s a nice goal, but you need to have a plan to make it happen and that remains to be seen.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Going back 23 years:
10 elite players
11 good support players
2 busts:

View attachment 857369
Which 7 of

Hall, Ekblad, MAF, Nash, Kovalchuk, Hischier, Dahlin, Bedard, Hughes, Tavares are you defining as "good support players" lmao.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Lots of teams only have one bad year or so, not year after year of bottom feeding.
A lot of teams can trade for elite talent. A lot of teams near the bottom of the standings are on NMC.

But lets play this game!

Since 2006:
Vegas Detroit and St.L were able to acquire elite talent outside of the top 4 draft picks (Although, Eichel and Pietrangelo were traded for.

Pittsburgh had 2x 1sts, and 2x2nds
Colorado had Makar and MacKinnon 1st and 4th
Caps had OV with 1st, and Backstrom with 4th
Chicago had Toews and Kane at 1st and 3rd
LA had Doughty at 2nd (they got elite talent through trade).
Tampa had a 1st and 2nd in Stamkos and Hedman and drafted elite talent in late rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad