GDT: Calgary Flames @ Salty Kings, 8:30PM Mountain on SNET-W

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yup, it was really bad, and it's concerning to have two such games out of three. I think the major issue was a lack of puck support. I think a lot of that comes down to the fact that we try to play a stretch-pass style, but the puck was hopping around on our d-men's sticks and it was taking them a long time to move it. LA was bringing big pressure and that extra time was enough for them to get in there and disrupt things. All in all it was just poor from start to finish. On to the next one.

For sure.
I was wondering last night is this what would happen if we got swallowed up by a big team clogging up neutral ice with a strong forecheck... I mean that's pretty much the Western Conference playoffs outside of Vancouver and somewhat Chicago... So it's a bit concerning.

We need a big bounce back game against Vancouver here. I hope they can get it done.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
For sure.
I was wondering last night is this what would happen if we got swallowed up by a big team clogging up neutral ice with a strong forecheck... I mean that's pretty much the Western Conference playoffs outside of Vancouver and somewhat Chicago... So it's a bit concerning.

We need a big bounce back game against Vancouver here. I hope they can get it done.

On the balance, we've been okay against big teams this year. Winnipeg, LA.. they've been kind to us overall. I feel like our system is designed to break through that pressure by just getting the puck up to our forwards and causing those big guys to skate up and down the ice a lot. Again, I don't want to read too much into last night's game because I feel like our inability to control the puck quickly and move it up had a lot to do with the issues.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the Flames were physically outmatched and dominated last night. Even though they appeared flat for large portions of the game, give the Kings credit. That's their game and what they do really well when they are playing their game, and that is dominating and shutting other teams down. You gotta think they were due for one against us as well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Also worth noting that Monahan was a game time decision last night because he was sick. So while he didn't look great last night, there was a good reason for it. He's often been our best center this year and you could tell he was really fighting it last night.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Also worth noting that Monahan was a game time decision last night because he was sick. So while he didn't look great last night, there was a good reason for it. He's often been our best center this year and you could tell he was really fighting it last night.

I think that is an excuse for our loss, or not but a contributing factor to why we loss.. The team lost because Toffolii decided he wanted to play. Monohan if he was not sick wouldn't have made that big of a difference. I am not surprised we lost. I just want to lose because the Kings fans are salty. Anyways. if the team lost, they lost. Kings were the better team last night.

We got lucky we scored 2 goals in 30. That was the most notable thing last night and Raymond scoring 2 goals. I mean...we were outshot 40-15.

The first part was to your Monahan being sick. The rest was directed at last nights play.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If Monahan was sick he shouldn't have played. Bumping Backlund up to the top line while dressing Jooris might have been better.

That was a playoff like game and the Flames looked outclassed. Goes to show just how far the team is from being actual contenders.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If Monahan was sick he shouldn't have played. Bumping Backlund up to the top line while dressing Jooris might have been better.

That was a playoff like game and the Flames looked outclassed. Goes to show just how far the team is from being actual contenders.

It's selection bias, though. The Flames have won many playoff-style games this year already, now they look bad in one and this is what we choose to base our analysis off of? Last game against LA the stakes were equally as high and the Flames came to play and pulled out the win. The last few games against San Jose have had a lot on the line and we've been dominant.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's selection bias, though. The Flames have won many playoff-style games this year already, now they look bad in one and this is what we choose to base our analysis off of? Last game against LA the stakes were equally as high and the Flames came to play and pulled out the win. The last few games against San Jose have had a lot on the line and we've been dominant.
with raised expectations people seem to be quicker to panic

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Because the refs let them get away with anything and everything, even on bigger guys like Colborne.

The Kings got away with lots, but that's not why they won. They were simply the better team. They came at the Flames in waves and the Flames simply had no answer. If not for Hiller, it would have been a blowout in the first 20 minutes.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The Kings got away with lots, but that's not why they won. They were simply the better team.

Being the better team skillwise, I agree. Jeff Carter was that much better than any Flames Center(/forward) and that was ultimately the difference when it comes to zone entries. It really makes me salivate at the arrival of Sam Bennett.

..."outmatching the Flames physically" however only happened because all their "outmatching" was off illegal play along the boards.

That said, getting an adequate big physical guy to play alongside Kris Russell will make Kris Russell much more effective. The Flames have room for improvement by far. But that's improvement in legal plays, because I don't want the Flames "dumbing" their game down to keep up with dirty teams like LA.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Being the better team skillwise, I agree. Jeff Carter was that much better than any Flames Center and that was ultimately the difference when it comes to zone entries.

"outmatching the Flames physically" only happened because all their "outmatching" was illegal play along the boards.

Not all of it. When our defence had the puck, they were able to get on them and lay hits and jar the puck loose. We weren't able to do that to them.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not all of it. When our defence had the puck, they were able to get on them and lay hits and jar the puck loose. We weren't able to do that to them.
agreed, even if the refs called more penalties they would have dominated us in every facet last night except goaltending

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
agreed, even if the refs called more penalties they would have dominated us in every facet last night except goaltending

Would they have had the green light to be as physical and aggressive as they were if they knew the refs woudn't let it slide?

It's not just about calling penalties, though more power play time would have made a difference. It's about how those penalties affect everything else... the domino effect.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I can't help but wonder what would have happened if the Flames had scored on that power play after Quick lost his **** in the second period. 3-1 Flames... could have been a completely different game. Instead, we don't even make it out of the second period with a lead, and the Kings stomp us in the third.

Ah well, better to just look ahead to the next game. I hope Ramo gets the start, not because Hiller was bad, but because we don't need a flu-ridden goalie starting for the second straight game. Also, put Jooris back in, his presence was sorely missed.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Would they have had the green light to be as physical and aggressive as they were if they knew the refs woudn't let it slide?

It's not just about calling penalties, though more power play time would have made a difference. It's about how those penalties affect everything else... the domino effect.
don't kid yourself, if it wasn't for Hiller that game would have gotten out of hand quickly. The powerplays wouldn't have helped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad