GDT: Calgary Flames @ Salty Kings, 8:30PM Mountain on SNET-W

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Well, Winnipeg and Colorado lost, but bummer that Minnesota won. Hope we bounce back strong on HNIC!

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Welp, we better win on Saturday, that's all I'll say.

Also won't be watching that one because gf things.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I know that one guy has clearly had the edge in terms of results this year, but I really do prefer Ramo's style to Hiller's. Hiller likes to just lay back and let the puck hit him, whereas the Finns are always tracking and attacking the puck. That said, no complaints with how Hiller's been playing lately. He's been very focused.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I know that one guy has clearly had the edge in terms of results this year, but I really do prefer Ramo's style to Hiller's. Hiller likes to just lay back and let the puck hit him, whereas the Finns are always tracking and attacking the puck. That said, no complaints with how Hiller's been playing lately. He's been very focused.
in the end though, results are all that matters. I don't care how the goaltenders do it, as long as they keep us in games and get us wins.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Sigh.

Well the Law of Averages states the Kings were due a win against us eventually

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Congrats Kings, you won 1 game against an inferior team. Be proud, be very proud.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well id say we played about 20 good minutes. So poor effort overall.

Didn't deserve a win, hopefully though they use this as an example to build on.
I hate saying poor effort because if the other team is clicking it can make you look bad. But the Flames definitely need to be better against Vancouver on Saturday.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Mhm, it's one of those games where you could argue that we were just completely out skilled. However we did have a lot of defensive collapses.
even then in my experience mistakes/lapses or whatever you call them are often from trying too hard and taking too many chances

Aug 3, 2010
in the end though, results are all that matters. I don't care how the goaltenders do it, as long as they keep us in games and get us wins.

Yep. Hasek doesn't get criticized for his form. You win, you perform your job well, who cares how it looks on the goalie.

Aug 3, 2010
Think the team was really missing Jooris and possibly even Wolf's presence. Not saying it would have changed the outcome but the game could have been a little bit closer regarding momentum, chemistry, etc.

Wonder if Ramo will finally start a game. He looked sharp despite having been benched for quite a while - happy that he's been keeping focus. Hiller had a decent game - despite the team he faced and the team that played in front of him. It's not a big issue if he starts.

Razzdazzle*

Think the team was really missing Jooris and possibly even Wolf's presence. Not saying it would have changed the outcome but the game could have been a little bit closer regarding momentum, chemistry, etc.

Wonder if Ramo will finally start a game. He looked sharp despite having been benched for quite a while - happy that he's been keeping focus. Hiller had a decent game - despite the team he faced and the team that played in front of him. It's not a big issue if he starts.

Raymond, Stajan and Byron are so weak around the boards. We definitely could've used some stronger guys like Jooris and Wolf out there tonight.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I'm a huge supporter of Wolf, love the guy and I really like Jooris to. But in last nights game, Byron was exceptional, possibly our best forward. I really liked what Bollig brought to. Raymond continued to display his offensive production, so while I agree with you, I just don't know who we would of took out to make a difference with those guys?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm a huge supporter of Wolf, love the guy and I really like Jooris to. But in last nights game, Byron was exceptional, possibly our best forward. I really liked what Bollig brought to. Raymond continued to display his offensive production, so while I agree with you, I just don't know who we would of took out to make a difference with those guys?
Going into the game I'd have sat Byron and Wolf personally. But with hindsight Hartley made the right call on Byron. Although I really thought Colborne playing centre hurt us along the boards badly so I really would have prefered to have Jooris in the lineup as a centreman.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not a great game by Calgary at all.

When they took that 2-1 lead; and got a PP chance right after... That's where they should have made the Kings pay. Instead a lazy PP; and then they were swallowed up the rest of the period. Came out the 2nd intermission about as flat as you could imagine, went down early and often.

This game reminded me of the Pittsburgh one. They were dominated by a much better team on paper; and didn't even come close to having any fight back (you take about 5 minutes out of that game last night, and Flames have a doughnut on the board). Just reminds us all, that we're still rebuilding and there's still a way to go.

The Monahan line was very bad last night; the Backlund line was good last night; the 4th line was good, given their time, and the Stajan line did alright as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not a great game by Calgary at all.

When they took that 2-1 lead; and got a PP chance right after... That's where they should have made the Kings pay. Instead a lazy PP; and then they were swallowed up the rest of the period. Came out the 2nd intermission about as flat as you could imagine, went down early and often.

This game reminded me of the Pittsburgh one. They were dominated by a much better team on paper; and didn't even come close to having any fight back (you take about 5 minutes out of that game last night, and Flames have a doughnut on the board). Just reminds us all, that we're still rebuilding and there's still a way to go.

The Monahan line was very bad last night; the Backlund line was good last night; the 4th line was good, given their time, and the Stajan line did alright as well.

Yup, it was really bad, and it's concerning to have two such games out of three. I think the major issue was a lack of puck support. I think a lot of that comes down to the fact that we try to play a stretch-pass style, but the puck was hopping around on our d-men's sticks and it was taking them a long time to move it. LA was bringing big pressure and that extra time was enough for them to get in there and disrupt things. All in all it was just poor from start to finish. On to the next one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad