GDT: Calgary Flames @ Salty Kings, 8:30PM Mountain on SNET-W

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's selection bias, though. The Flames have won many playoff-style games this year already, now they look bad in one and this is what we choose to base our analysis off of? Last game against LA the stakes were equally as high and the Flames came to play and pulled out the win. The last few games against San Jose have had a lot on the line and we've been dominant.

This was a much tighter game with playoff like reffing. And once the Kings decided to show up, the Flames didn't really have an answer.

And it's not panicking since I've never believed the Flames were close contending. Rather, this just reinforces the idea that Flames shouldn't be buyers this deadline, and if anything, should continue to look at selling some pieces if possible.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Not a great game by Calgary at all.

When they took that 2-1 lead; and got a PP chance right after... That's where they should have made the Kings pay. Instead a lazy PP; and then they were swallowed up the rest of the period. Came out the 2nd intermission about as flat as you could imagine, went down early and often.

This game reminded me of the Pittsburgh one. They were dominated by a much better team on paper; and didn't even come close to having any fight back (you take about 5 minutes out of that game last night, and Flames have a doughnut on the board). Just reminds us all, that we're still rebuilding and there's still a way to go.

The Monahan line was very bad last night; the Backlund line was good last night; the 4th line was good, given their time, and the Stajan line did alright as well.

We tend to be quite lifeless and lethargic on the PP. While we cycle the puck well, teams have realized that if they patiently stay in position and just wait us out, we don't pose much of a real threat. You could make a drinking game from the number of times Gio always hesitates to take a shot and ends up having it blocked and from the number of times teams counter with a 2 on 2 chance. We just lack that killer instinct that the Red Wings & Sharks had and the Hawks have on the PP.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This was a much tighter game with playoff like reffing. And once the Kings decided to show up, the Flames didn't really have an answer.

And it's not panicking since I've never believed the Flames were close contending. Rather, this just reinforces the idea that Flames shouldn't be buyers this deadline, and if anything, should continue to look at selling some pieces if possible.

I don't know about that. The 2-1 overtime win a couple weeks ago was as tight a game as we've been in all season. 0-0 after 40 minutes, then we let one in and Monahan tied it basically out of nothing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
But it was for Hiller, who is a Flame.

Like I said, the Flames played poor, but that tends to happen when the other team is getting away with murder at home.
wait you mean Hiller wasn't a King? Jesus I am doing this hickey thing all wrong.

You are seriously over exaggerating how bad the reffing was, no one "got away with murder". The flames lost because the Kings were a better team from the first drop of the puck. Blaming it on the officials is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to place blame.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think that is an excuse for our loss, or not but a contributing factor to why we loss.. The team lost because Toffolii decided he wanted to play. Monohan if he was not sick wouldn't have made that big of a difference. I am not surprised we lost. I just want to lose because the Kings fans are salty. Anyways. if the team lost, they lost. Kings were the better team last night.

We got lucky we scored 2 goals in 30. That was the most notable thing last night and Raymond scoring 2 goals. I mean...we were outshot 40-15.

The first part was to your Monahan being sick. The rest was directed at last nights play.

In my above post I said we were dominated. I just wanted to note Money was sick and that was a reason he was flat. Sick or not though, I agree we would of lost that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad