Proposal: Calgary Flames Re-tool

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So pretty much the same return as Bennett? for a guy whos scored 22 goals or more in every season except for this Covid season, has 2 30+ goal seasons and its 2 2nds? Brad hangs up the phone and laughs come on now.
The 6M in cap space is what I'm most interested in. I'd do it honestly from a Flames perspective, but I'm one of those people who thinks Monahan is a 20 goal guy without Gaudreau but certainly not a 30 goal guy.

EDIT: I mean if it was a forward version of Krug, Kaliyev and a 2nd it looks a lot better right?

Ledge And Dairy

I agree. I think they should have been after PLD but I think upgrading Monahan for Eichel makes a lot of sense for them. Not sure what the pieces would be in that trade but the team would be almost complete if they were to acquire Eichel. One or two pieces away maybe.
We were after PLD, despite results for Laine in CBJ there was no way we could have topped that offer without Tkachuk involved. IMO PLD is good but he's not a big enough upgrade on Monahan to justify selling the farm.
Eichel would be awesome if we could acquire him but I dont know if Calgary has the assets

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
We were after PLD, despite results for Laine in CBJ there was no way we could have topped that offer without Tkachuk involved. IMO PLD is good but he's not a big enough upgrade on Monahan to justify selling the farm.
Eichel would be awesome if we could acquire him but I dont know if Calgary has the assets
I think everyone except Jarmo knew that Laine for PLD trade looked better on paper than it would be on the ice. It’s just not a fit between the two. I think if he actually considered fit with the team under Torts, a trade on the basis of Monahan for PLD would look so much more attractive, perhaps even better if there’s an add.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That one place in fantasy land where you think Kaliyev would be our 2nd line RW right away.

Ledge And Dairy

I think everyone except Jarmo knew that Laine for PLD trade looked better on paper than it would be on the ice. It’s just not a fit between the two. I think if he actually considered fit with the team under Torts, a trade on the basis of Monahan for PLD would look so much more attractive, perhaps even better if there’s an add.
Maybe, Laine still has immense trade value and Roslovic has worked out well there. Torts may not be back next season too

Reactions: EK392000

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Danault rejected a 5.5M offer from the Habs last summer... why do you think he'd accept one from CGY?

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Yeah, the Kings have no interest in this move. Kaliyev was supposed to be with his minor team this season, but for COVID, he was able to play in the A. He's done surprisingly well there playing against older, more experienced talent. He's actually playing not floating around in the D zone, and he's bringing the puck through the neutral zone with speed into the offensive zone. He is exactly the player that the Kings need moving forward with the rebuild, while dealing picks is probably not a good move at this point. Monahan doesn't work for the Kings at this juncture of the rebuild.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Its worked fine, its way more likely Darryl was trying to send a message yo Dube
No it hasn't worked fine lol Monahan and Dube have been garbage and our 2nd line is the worst line despite having both Mang and Dube. We desperately need help at RW and I'd rather go for a prospect with breakout potential because we aren't bringing back an elite player for Monahan anymore

Ledge And Dairy

No it hasn't worked fine lol Monahan and Dube have been garbage and our 2nd line is the worst line despite having both Mang and Dube. We desperately need help at RW and I'd rather go for a prospect with breakout potential because we aren't bringing back an elite player for Monahan anymore
Ok but LA isn't a buyer, they also are the last team in the league to need center depth going forward. That alone makes your original proposal fundamentally flawed

Reactions: go4hockey

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Danault rejected a 5.5M offer from the Habs last summer... why do you think he'd accept one from CGY?
Mainly the fact that he’s been forced into a primarily defensive role and has been on record saying he wants a larger offensive role that we could give him. Especially w Suzuki and KK only getting better and deserving more minutes. We have guys who only deserve less minutes lol

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Ok but LA isn't a buyer, they also are the last team in the league to need center depth going forward. That alone makes your original proposal fundamentally flawed
Fair. I think the value is there tho and with Kopitar and Doughty only having a few great years left I don’t think it’s as crazy as ppl make it seem, especially looking at Vilardi on the wing and the lack of NHL depth at C rn. But fair if LA won’t budge I just wanted to gauge value

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Mainly the fact that he’s been forced into a primarily defensive role and has been on record saying he wants a larger offensive role that we could give him. Especially w Suzuki and KK only getting better and deserving more minutes. We have guys who only deserve less minutes lol
Agreed,

But WHY would he sign for 5.5M then?

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Agreed,

But WHY would he sign for 5.5M then?
I mean I don’t think he had the offensive production this season to warrant much more, including a 25 game goalless streak to start the season. I love the guy and desperately want him at 2C but don’t think teams will be lining up to pay much over 5.5. Maybe you find a team (Seattle, Minny maybe) that offers 6 but that’s as high as he’ll get, so I don’t think 5.5 given this economy is far off

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I mean I don’t think he had the offensive production this season to warrant much more, including a 25 game goalless streak to start the season. I love the guy and desperately want him at 2C but don’t think teams will be lining up to pay much over 5.5. Maybe you find a team (Seattle, Minny maybe) that offers 6 but that’s as high as he’ll get, so I don’t think 5.5 given this economy is far off
So, considering MB likelly offers him a sinilar contract, why would he leave a better / younger teams for CGY? For the same salary?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Laine might be the most overrated player in the league. He doesn't help you win at all.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
That one place in fantasy land where you think Kaliyev would be our 2nd line RW right away.
He wouldn't be. But the 6.3M in cap space would buy you that. Jaden Schwartz, Kyle Palmieri, Blake Coleman, Brandon Saad ect. should all be available for less than that price. Maybe Palmieri gets that number on a short term deal, but no one else.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
So, considering MB likelly offers him a sinilar contract, why would he leave a better / younger teams for CGY? For the same salary?
I think mainly the role and competition at C. If we move Monahan (which is the only way we'd have room for him) he would be given a guaranteed top-6 spot with a chance to play with Gaudreau or Tkachuk, whereas in Montreal he's gone on record saying he wants a more offensive role. Maybe I'm reading too much into Danault's previous comments about wanting a more offensive role and that he'll actually be satisfied as the defense and 5v5-only 2/3C as Suzuki and KK develop, but I could definitely see a situation where Danault wants a bigger role with less competition from highly-touted young C's who require time and a large role to develop and reach their potential

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Because 5.5M in Calgary is 5.5% more than it is in Montreal? Also, he saw that there was not a lot of money handed out to non-elite players last offseason. That said, I wouldn't pay more than Backlund for Danault. He'd need to be under 5 for me. He's never scored 15 goals in the league and while he's good defensively, so are Backlund, Lindholm and to a lesser extent Ryan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad