Nordstrom-Ryan-Lucic
Leivo/Ritchie

Hanifin-Rasmus
Maatta/Gio-Tanev
Gio/Maatta-Valimaki
Stone/Kylington

Markstrom
______

Flames add a quality RW prospect in Kaliyev for Monahan and find an excellent replacement 2C through UFA. Use the extra cap space to lock down Armia as our 3rd line RW to replace Brett Ritchie and our top-9 RW depth is much improved.

Danault and Armia have proven to be solid 5v5 players in a fast-paced system like Sutter is trying to implement here, and we still get to keep our top line together while giving Kaliyev and Armia a stable role next to a defensively responsible 2C and a skilled LW (Mang/Dube). Maatta provides insurance in case Seattle takes Gio and adds a solid #5 veteran defensive presence with size. Could be a good mentor for fellow fin Valimaki and better long-term option than Stone

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
To LA:
Sean Monahan

To CGY:
Arther Kaliyev
2021 2nd (STL)
Olli Maatta

Sign Philip Danault (5 years, 6 mil)
Sign Joel Armia (2 yrs, 2.75 mil)
Re-sign Derek Ryan (2 years, 1.5 mil)
Re-sign Dube and Valimaki and Leivo

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Danault-Kaliyev
Dube-Backlund-Armia
Nordstrom-Ryan-Lucic
Leivo/Ritchie

Hanifin-Rasmus
Maatta/Gio-Tanev
Gio/Maatta-Valimaki
Stone/Kylington

Markstrom
______

Flames add a quality RW prospect in Kaliyev for Monahan and find an excellent replacement 2C through UFA. Use the extra cap space to lock down Armia as our 3rd line RW to replace Brett Ritchie and our top-9 RW depth is much improved.

Danault and Armia have proven to be solid 5v5 players in a fast-paced system like Sutter is trying to implement here, and we still get to keep our top line together while giving Kaliyev and Armia a stable role next to a defensively responsible 2C and a skilled LW (Mang/Dube). Maatta provides insurance in case Seattle takes Gio and adds a solid #5 veteran defensive presence with size. Could be a good mentor for fellow fin Valimaki and better long-term option than Stone
Why would we pay 6M per year for a less good Backlund? Why are we paying 2.75 per for a guy who has never had 30 points and will be 28 next year? The Monahan trade I would be fine with.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As reasonable as the ask is here on Monahan, I see no reason LA would move assets for a C with how stacked their pipeline is.
Isnt a good pipeline a good reason to trade assets for a win-now player? LA seems like a good team to make big moves with. There is Doughty and Kopitar still

Reactions: YP44

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
As reasonable as the ask is here on Monahan, I see no reason LA would move assets for a C with how stacked their pipeline is.

Other than Byfield... they don't have another 1C/2C option. Turcotte has been playing wing in the minors. Lias Andersson is more of a 3C. Same with Kupari.

Probably a fair deal for both sides. I doubt Kaliyev is ready to play 2RW next season in the NHL. He might need another year in the AHL or maybe as a 3RW.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Why would we pay 6M per year for a less good Backlund? Why are we paying 2.75 per for a guy who has never had 30 points and will be 28 next year? The Monahan trade I would be fine with.

Albatross on that Denault contract.
Y’all are sleeping on Danault here. Backlund is probably our best all—around forward I’d very happily sign a younger version of him with better on-ice impacts in each of the last 3 years on a similar quality team. But fair I’ll bring it down to 5.5 just not sure if that get it done

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
To LA:
Sean Monahan

To CGY:
Arther Kaliyev
2021 2nd (STL)
Olli Maatta

Sign Philip Danault (5 years, 6 mil)

Dube-Backlund-Armia
Nordstrom-Ryan-Lucic
Leivo/Ritchie

Hanifin-Rasmus
Maatta/Gio-Tanev
Gio/Maatta-Valimaki
Stone/Kylington

Markstrom
______

Not sure why LA trades futures like Kaliyev (recent 2nd round pick doing very well in his first professional year in the A) for 2 years of Monahan. They too are in a re-build... they need more Kaliyev's.

If Monahan were on the Kings, would you trade Zary for Monahan, mid-2nd rounder and Maata right now?

I agree with what other Flames fans have said, $6m x 5 is too much for Danault.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Feel like this team lacks star power. Lindholm is a great 2C, and just a good 1C. If you find a star through trade or whatnot that can push Lindholm back to that 2nd line, I think the team would have an amazing top 6.

This lineup would win if they’re coached in a way similar to the Islanders. If not, I think they’ll be outscored.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Y’all are sleeping on Danault here. Backlund is probably our best all—around forward I’d very happily sign a younger version of him with better on-ice impacts in each of the last 3 years on a similar quality team. But fair I’ll bring it down to 5.5 just not sure if that get it done
Covid numbers are way lower. Toffoli went for 4.2M. I like Danault because I like the Backlund type of player, but not at anything north of 4.5. Also, Lindholm is our best all around player and it's not particularly close. You could also make the case that Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Mangiapane are as impactful as Backlund albeit in different ways.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Other than Byfield... they don't have another 1C/2C option. Turcotte has been playing wing in the minors. Lias Andersson is more of a 3C. Same with Kupari.

Probably a fair deal for both sides. I doubt Kaliyev is ready to play 2RW next season in the NHL. He might need another year in the AHL or maybe as a 3RW.

Kupari just turned 21 and Turcotte just turned 20. While their development to this point might leave something to be desired, they aren't finished products.

I will repeat though, the ask here does seem quite reasonable, so maybe LA does it just based on pure value and ignoring needs/ organizational depth.

Reactions: voxel

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Isnt a good pipeline a good reason to trade assets for a win-now player? LA seems like a good team to make big moves with. There is Doughty and Kopitar still

If it was something like Gaudreau on Calgary's side and Kupari + 2nd + Maatta on LA's side you would be right

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I have often thought Danault would be really good for Calgary.

As a kings fan I would hate losing Kaliyev as LA lacks true finishers, and wing prospects. That said the value is fair and I wouldn't be too pissed if it happened. I don't remember seeing monahan playing the wing and would be curious to that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
To LA:
Sean Monahan

To CGY:
Arther Kaliyev
2021 2nd (STL)
Olli Maatta

Sign Philip Danault (5 years, 5.5 mil)

Dube-Backlund-Armia
Nordstrom-Ryan-Lucic
Leivo/Ritchie

Hanifin-Rasmus
Maatta/Gio-Tanev
Gio/Maatta-Valimaki
Stone/Kylington

Markstrom
______

The value of your Monahan proposal seems reasonable. not a bad road map. Good work.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I have often thought Danault would be really good for Calgary.

As a kings fan I would hate losing Kaliyev as LA lacks true finishers, and wing prospects. That said the value is fair and I wouldn't be too pissed if it happened. I don't remember seeing monahan playing the wing and would be curious to that.
Honestly, if Kaliyev pans out he'll be a lesser version of Monahan. All he does is shoot. Same with Monahan except he also wins faceoffs.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Feel like this team lacks star power. Lindholm is a great 2C, and just a good 1C. If you find a star through trade or whatnot that can push Lindholm back to that 2nd line, I think the team would have an amazing top 6.

This lineup would win if they’re coached in a way similar to the Islanders. If not, I think they’ll be outscored.

Since Sutter took over this team has been stingy as all hell. They normally win the possession game, but lack a game breaker. Think Islanders without Matt Barzal being able to be lined up as the 1C kind of thing.

Honestly if Calgary had a top 15 centre in the NHL, they’d be a dominant force. The issue is the lack of that person who can take a game over down the middle of ice.

Reactions: EK392000

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Kings have absolutely no reason to offer anything for Monahan while they are in rebuild mode like the Ducks. Kings would be wasting contract years and prime years of Monahan when they aren’t anywhere in shape for a Cup run.

I also don’t know why there’s significance for a center as a “must need” when they have Byfield on ELC from last years draft, and have every chance to pull another solid centerman/wing this draft in Beniers/Johnson/Eklund etc

Kings say no with them having a high pick this year that costs them nothing. Also in the position of retooling/rebuild imo

Last edited:
Reactions: KingsOfCali25

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

You still need guys who can play now and insulate the guys coming up.

If the ask was really that modest I'd have to think Blake considers it.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If I'm Calgary I just blow it up and trade a guy like gaudreau and try to position for the '22 draft. Calgary has been stuck in no man's land for awhile.

Reactions: Just Linda

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Since Sutter took over this team has been stingy as all hell. They normally win the possession game, but lack a game breaker. Think Islanders without Matt Barzal being able to be lined up as the 1C kind of thing.

Honestly if Calgary had a top 15 centre in the NHL, they’d be a dominant force. The issue is the lack of that person who can take a game over down the middle of ice.
I agree. I think they should have been after PLD but I think upgrading Monahan for Eichel makes a lot of sense for them. Not sure what the pieces would be in that trade but the team would be almost complete if they were to acquire Eichel. One or two pieces away maybe.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Honestly, if Kaliyev pans out he'll be a lesser version of Monahan. All he does is shoot. Same with Monahan except he also wins faceoffs.

If Monahan does not start finishing he could be taking the Cheechoo express out of town. Do I think that, no. But it is a possibility.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If Monahan does not start finishing he could be taking the Cheechoo express out of town. Do I think that, no. But it is a possibility.
It's been tough to watch. You can tell he's working hard and has actually been better in his own end, but he keeps missing the net or flubbing the puck. Those were 2 things you NEVER saw Monahan do before this year.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
So pretty much the same return as Bennett? for a guy whos scored 22 goals or more in every season except for this Covid season, has 2 30+ goal seasons and its 2 2nds? Brad hangs up the phone and laughs come on now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad