GDT: Calgary Flames at Phoenix Coyotes Oct. 22

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Baertschi has been better away from the puck than Monahan IMO. Baertschi had a crappy preseason and since then he's been great. He cycles, skates, gets into the dirty areas and then makes the right play. Monahan has been good too, but only has more points because he's been on the doorstep. I notice Baertschi far more than I notice Monahan other than the goals.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Baertschi has been better away from the puck than Monahan IMO. Baertschi had a crappy preseason and since then he's been great. He cycles, skates, gets into the dirty areas and then makes the right play. Monahan has been good too, but only has more points because he's been on the doorstep. I notice Baertschi far more than I notice Monahan other than the goals.

I guess everyone sees things differently. I for one have been far more impressed with Monahan, I find Sven makes to many passes and needs to simplify his game but Sven was doing very well the first few weeks helping Mono defensively.

May 27, 2012
Earth

This. Ever since Burke criticized him he has been a much more effective player, rather than being a one dimensional player before.

Oh and btw....I kind of fell asleep during the game... :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Sven is more noticeable at times largely due to the fact that he's a more explosive player and accelerates very well. Not to take anything away from him because every game he seems to make at least one take away in his own end with a fine defensive play, but I have noticed that Sean is always in the right place at the right time in every zone and very rarely caught out of position, he makes up for his lack of top end speed with incredible positioning and hockey IQ, I also noticed this in Jr's. Sven has come along way in this early season, but I don't think he's quite at the level that Sean is at yet (for that matter none if any others are on the Flames). But I do think them playing together is the best thing for their games as they both have their own strengths which compliment each other very well and also teach them areas in their game that they are lacking. Sven to me though, without question is a more dangerous offensive player.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I guess everyone sees things differently. I for one have been far more impressed with Monahan, I find Sven makes to many passes and needs to simplify his game but Sven was doing very well the first few weeks helping Mono defensively.

Look at all of Mono's goals; they're from in front of the net. Meanwhile its players like Baertschi that cycle, dish it to the right people and keep the play alive that allow for the shots on net and the rebounds. I'll agree Baertschi doesn't play enough selfish hockey, but its not his fault if he passes to the blueline and they cough it up, shoot wide, or fail to hold the line.

IMO, Brodie has been horrendous this year at holding the blueline or keeping it simple.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Look at all of Mono's goals; they're from in front of the net. Meanwhile its players like Baertschi that cycle, dish it to the right people and keep the play alive that allow for the shots on net and the rebounds. I'll agree Baertschi doesn't play enough selfish hockey, but its not his fault if he passes to the blueline and they cough it up, shoot wide, or fail to hold the line.

IMO, Brodie has been horrendous this year at holding the blueline or keeping it simple.

I would also put Wideman in that category.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I would also put Wideman in that category.

Almost everyone on the blueline has been a weak factor. Shooting right at shot blockers, shooting wide, or doing too much and then turning it over. Giordano and Russell have been our most consistent guys. Hopefully Gio gets healthy soon

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think if Stajan, Ramo and Giordano is back in the line-up for the next one, then I'll put all my money down. Can't wait to see a healthy line-up again

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think if Stajan, Ramo and Giordano is back in the line-up for the next one, then I'll put all my money down. Can't wait to see a healthy line-up again

I'm really predicting a bounce-back game from our guys. I'm betting that the extra room on the ice compared to playing Phoenix makes them practically giddy.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Motivated? He now has nothing to prove, and has a guaranteed salary this year. There is zero chance of being sent to the AHL. Time to kick back and ride some coat-tails!

Zero chance of being sent to the AHL? I'm sure if he started to struggle immensely he could be sent down, or would be, no?

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Zero chance of being sent to the AHL? I'm sure if he started to struggle immensely he could be sent down, or would be, no?
He can't play in the AHL because he's too young. He can still be sent down to the CHL though. The Jets did that with Scheifele I think, sent him down in his first year even though he had played over 9 games and his ELC kicked in.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

A CHL/NHL agreement dictates that he's not allowed. That's why with new draftees, it's always a question of NHL or CHL. They aren't allowed to be given time to develop in the AHL.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He can't play in the AHL because he's too young. He can still be sent down to the CHL though. The Jets did that with Scheifele I think, sent him down in his first year even though he had played over 9 games and his ELC kicked in.

I thought they sent him down after 9 the first year, then sent him down the next year, too, after playing some more games (during that season, his ELC would kick in). I'll look into it.

EDIT: He played 7 games in 2011-12, and I guess that he played another four in 2012-13 toward the end of the year. Apparently the ELC slid both years and only kicks in this season.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Motivated? He now has nothing to prove, and has a guaranteed salary this year. There is zero chance of being sent to the AHL. Time to kick back and ride some coat-tails!

He'll be hungry. These guys want to make it to the HHOF by getting an early start!

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Monahan has been great at cycling as well your selling him short. His goals come from going to the dirty areas, Sven has been good but there is no way he has been better than Monahan imo.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

That is his problem right now. He is rarely looking to shoot the puck, and based on what I have seen it is probably in large part to not wanting to get caught up the ice (which is fine, but it won't create an overwhelming amount of offense for a winger). I don't blame him either..as he seems to be on an extremely short leash in comparison to a player like Monahan. He is still creating a ton of space for his teammates through his playmaking ability and hard work though.

I just don't understand the handling of his icetime in some situations.
Over an 18 minute span from late in the second period and on into the third Sven was only given one shift of by Hartley last night. That shift also came halfway through a PP opportunity with Calgary needing a gaol. After sitting Sven for nearly an entire periods worth of icetime, why in essence put a cold player on the ice with your team needing a goal? What do you expect him to do in that situation..?

Seven minutes after that he would receive another 59 second shift, and then be thrown on the ice for a six second shift, and nine second shift (really..?) in the last minute and a half of the game. I don't get the thought process behind these moves.

After the 2nd Coyotes goal (which came just prior to the halfway point of the game) Sven received just five shifts and a total of 3:27 of icetime. After rewatching the highlight, I fail to see how that goal can be put on the shoulders of Sven.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
That is his problem right now. He is rarely looking to shoot the puck, and based on what I have seen it is probably in large part to not wanting to get caught up the ice (which is fine, but it won't create an overwhelming amount of offense for a winger). I don't blame him either..as he seems to be on an extremely short leash in comparison to a player like Monahan. He is still creating a ton of space for his teammates through his playmaking ability and hard work though.

I just don't understand the handling of his icetime in some situations.
Over an 18 minute span from late in the second period and on into the third Sven was only given one shift of by Hartley last night. That shift also came halfway through a PP opportunity with Calgary needing a gaol. After sitting Sven for nearly an entire periods worth of icetime, why in essence put a cold player on the ice with your team needing a goal? What do you expect him to do in that situation..?

Seven minutes after that he would receive another 59 second shift, and then be thrown on the ice for a six second shift, and nine second shift (really..?) in the last minute and a half of the game. I don't get the thought process behind these moves.

After the 2nd Coyotes goal (which came just prior to the halfway point of the game) Sven received just five shifts and a total of 3:27 of icetime. After rewatching the highlight, I fail to see how that goal can be put on the shoulders of Sven.
Yup. I disagree with Hartely's management towards Baertschi. Meanwhile Glencross is slacking in a a lot of ways, yet he's not being punished.

I know every coach has its champions, as well as those in the dog house. Id hate to see Baertschi become like Stajan under Sutter because Baertschi is too young, too talented, and too important in the rebuild process

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Yup. I disagree with Hartely's management towards Baertschi. Meanwhile Glencross is slacking in a a lot of ways, yet he's not being punished.

I know every coach has its champions, as well as those in the dog house. Id hate to see Baertschi become like Stajan under Sutter because Baertschi is too young, too talented, and too important in the rebuild process

Just thinking here, maybe he's being harsh with Baertschi because he is still developing and he has more to gain from it than Glencross would. Knowing Glencross has peaked and he is who he is, Hartley is content to let him fight his way out of his slump, whereas Hartley gives Baertschi no leash because he knows he is capable of not just being a good winger on this team but the best winger on this team, and he won't be happy with his play until he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad