Ekman-Larsson Michalek
Yandle Morris
Klesla Schlemko

Smith

GAME PREVIEW
Courtesy: flames.nhl.com

FLAMES (4-2-2) at COYOTES (5-2-2)

TV: SNET-W, SNET-CGY, FS-A

Season series: This is the first of five meetings between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes. They will not face each other again until Dec. 4 at Scotiabank Saddledome.

Big story: This is the second game in as many nights for the Flames, who are in the midst of a five-game road trip. They dropped the first two games before responding with a gritty 3-2 win against the Los Angeles Kings on Monday night. Phoenix enters with a six-game point streak (4-0-2).

Team Scope:

Flames: Calgary can attribute Monday’s victory to its power play. All three goals came on the power play, including TJ Brodie’s game-winner at 19:30 of the third period. Mike Cammalleri made his season debut and had a goal and an assist and goalie Karri Ramo made 27 saves for the win.

“Big win for the boys,” Cammalleri said. “I thought we were quick on pucks and had some poise with it, but I think, maybe more importantly, there was a little bit of hunger, a little bit of a desire – kind of that intangible stuff that when you have it, the puck seems to will its way in sometimes.”

Coyotes: One night after suffering a 3-2 shootout loss at Anaheim, the Coyotes went home and responded with an impressive 5-2 victory against the Detroit Red Wings at Jobing.com Arena on Saturday. The highlight of the night came with 00.1 seconds remaining in regulation, when Coyotes goalie Mike Smith rounded out the scoring with an empty-net goal. Smith seized control of the puck in front of his own net and ripped it down the length of the ice, and it crossed the goal line just before time expired.

"The guys were in my face, so I didn't actually see it until I saw a replay," Smith said. "I do shoot the puck quite often in practice, but an awful lot of things have to go right for that to happen. I was able to score in the ECHL (for Lexington) my first year as a pro (in 2002-03) and it was the same thing. Everything has to work right and the clock has to slow down at the right time to let it trickle over the line. It was just a bonus to a great win."

Who's hot: Flames rookie Sean Monahan scored again Monday. He now has six goals in eight games. Mark Giordano has three assists in the past two games and Jiri Hudler is 2-5-7 in the past five and has an eight-game point streak overall. … Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro has a six-game point streak (three goals, four assists).

Injury report: Flames forwards Matt Stajan (leg) and David Jones (upper body) are on injured reserve.

jJCjaVH.png

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I seem to be doing this a lot. :laugh:

Not trying to be a hog or anything, I just do it when I can't bear there being no game day thread anymore.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It seems Phoenix tears us up every time. But its these kind of shut-down teams that we've been successful against.

Go Flames

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Why in god's name is MacDonald getting the start? I thought Hartely was rewarding winners and hard work?!

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Good luck to you guys. We promise to be better than Kings fans. :sarcasm:
The opposite would be quite a feat. Worst bunch of whiners I've seen in a long time. :shakehead I didn't mind the Kings up until now except that they're a really boring team to watch, but now I hope they lose a lot of games this season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think we lose this game. Phoenix as a team does what we are trying to get to, only they have been doing it for longer and are a little more polished at it. With that said, we have momentum going so let's hope we carry that over tonight. I really wish Horak and Breen would of been inserted into the lineup. Some fresh and hungry legs would of been a good thing. Mac needs to have a HUGE game, hopefully the competition between and Ramo brings that out.

GO FLAMES GO!!!!!!!!! :yo:

Trae

Calgary
Why in god's name is MacDonald getting the start? I thought Hartely was rewarding winners and hard work?!

Hartley said Mac would be starting this game a few days ago, before the LA game.

@Fan960Steinberg: Speculation has David Jones returning tonight and Roman Horak making his season debut for the #Flames in Phoenix.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I would guess Street and McGrattan.

Glencross - Backlund - Jones
Cammy - Colborne - Stempniak
Sven - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma - Galiradi - Horak

Yeah this should be a fun line-up, even though the Yotes are always a boring watch.

Why Horak? I thought Hanowski has been the best forward in Abby?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hartley said Mac would be starting this game a few days ago, before the LA game.

@Fan960Steinberg: Speculation has David Jones returning tonight and Roman Horak making his season debut for the #Flames in Phoenix.

David Jones appears to have been cleared to practice today. I doubt he gets in the lineup until Thursday.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yeah this should be a fun line-up, even though the Yotes are always a boring watch.

Why Horak? I thought Hanowski has been the best forward in Abby?

Idk why they brought him up over Hanowski maybe they feel that Hanowksi has more to learn while Horak might be at his peak? I was kind of surprised it wasn't Knight to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad