GDT: Calgary Flames (2-1-1) @ Columbus Blue Jackets (1-2-0), 5:00 PM MT, Sportsnet One

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Interestingly, I heard Mike Johnson talking about exactly this phenomenon this morning on NHL radio. He was talking about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at the time, but his point was basically this: basically every NHLer is giving 100% effort 100% of the time, and to think otherwise is foolish (keep in mind this guy played in the NHL and has no reason to lie).

But he said that certain guys like RNH have a posture that makes them look low-intensity even at their most intense moments. Guys like Brandon Tanev can look like they are trying a billion times harder while doing the same shit just due to skating style and how they have been trained/not trained to get the most out of their respective bodies.

I think I used to fall victim to this a lot with Dougie Hamilton. At the time, I always felt like Kris Russell was a better defenceman in spite of everything kind of saying the opposite. I think a lot of it came down to Russell looking more intense while Hamilton skated... not unlike a deer.
Did he watch Kadri last year when he stopped playing for Sutter?

And no, not everyone is giving 100% all the time.

Reactions: MM917 and Backlund

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Yeah 100% all the time is complete bullshit. Some players pace themselves because they don't want to tire out early in the season. I remember hearing a story about Rod Brind'Amour about when he first got into the league that some veterans told him if he kept going that hard every day he wouldn't be able to make it through the year.

Reactions: DFF

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
This team hasn't got a magic player. I would be keen to sign Kane on a 1 year contract. What would it cost to get him? How to create such space? Hanifin?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Did he watch Kadri last year when he stopped playing for Sutter?

And no, not everyone is giving 100% all the time.
I'm sure he did, and I'm sure he observed players in similar situations within his own dressing rooms over his career. And yet he stated this outright.

I think the logical conclusion is that when it appears that players are putting forth less than their max level, its their max level which is changing according to various factors, not their desire to hit it.

Reactions: Felidae and Lunatik

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm sure he did, and I'm sure he observed players in similar situations within his own dressing rooms over his career. And yet he stated this outright.

I think the logical conclusion is that when it appears that players are putting forth less than their max level, its their max level which is changing according to various factors, not their desire to hit it.
I'm sorry, logical conclusions based on facts and intelligence that counter preconceived narratives are not allowed here.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
<sigh> Another game where the Flames struggle to score and thereby make average goalies look like Vezina contenders.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just an FYI

The Wranglers have dressed the same 6 defenseman tonight as they have their previous 3 games. So no tip off as to whether or not they are calling someone up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad