Calgary city council approves arena deal (UPD: new deal upcoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
Geez - Edmonton really made sure they were getting their money back. You'd think Calgary council would have worked harder to do the same for us.

But I still have no problem saying that the City of Calgary has to do things differently and demand that this arena be built with private money.
Rogers Place: Was it worth it? | CBC News The Flames can only wish for the same deal the Oilers got....

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
If that were the case they would have been screaming for Quebecor and PKP to put up what was needed when they applied for expansion with Vegas.

Since then it’s been any cost to some other market.

As a fan from Quebec I do wish a team in my city and could not care less from where that team comes from.

But let’s be honest, just raising a hand to say we have an empty relativel new arena ready for use and we’re being called vultures and what not, so yeah it gets tiring and we naturally chose not to name any preferences.

Still many people call us names but very few went thru what we did (Hartford, Winnipeg, Atlanta and Minnesota).

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Rogers Place: Was it worth it? | CBC News The Flames can only wish for the same deal the Oilers got....
That would be a step in the right direction. As far as I'm concerned us tax payers, at the very minimum, should be getting back our full investment plus something like 10% with the first 5-6 years of the deal. The Flames are going to make a mint off this thing and us city residents should be getting our fair share too.

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
As a fan from Quebec I do wish a team in my city and could not care less from where that team comes from.

But let’s be honest, just raising a hand to say we have an empty relativel new arena ready for use and we’re being called vultures and what not, so yeah it gets tiring and we naturally chose not to name any preferences.

Still many people call us names but very few went thru what we did (Hartford, Winnipeg, Atlanta and Minnesota).
My heart goes out to you and your city. The way the league treats the people and city is criminal. If Calgary does move there would be no better place that Quebec City to land. Tragically I don't think the league wants to see that happen. I seriously wonder if they want a team in QC at all.

Reactions: powerstuck

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Call me paranoid if you want but when two threads centering on Quebec City popped up in this forum within 48 hours of Glendale announcing it was not renewing the lease with the Coyotes, it smacks a little more than coincidental.

Now I’m not unsympathetic towards fans in Quebec City. They were led to believe if they got a new arena built an expansion team was virtually a lock. Even though Bettman explicitly said it wasn’t.

But that’s on PKP and Quebecor who created that frenzy and then couldn’t deliver. Meanwhile other fan bases are being demonized because of their “public financed arenas” (be it full or partially) and QC fans are touting their own fully public funded arena as a virtue.

:dunno:

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
That would be a step in the right direction. As far as I'm concerned us tax payers, at the very minimum, should be getting back our full investment plus something like 10% with the first 5-6 years of the deal. The Flames are going to make a mint off this thing and us city residents should be getting our fair share too.
It's the same concept , both are entertainment districts to be development with the cities receiving new tax revenues .... the city of Calgary has said the Flames are not getting the Edmonton deal ... and without comparing the two in a breakdown of both I'm assuming the Oils are getting a better deal from their city ... you won't please everyone but the city understands the importance of the development to Calgary moving forward ... I think it will ultimately get done ... and as a property tax payer I'm cheering for it to happen ..

Last edited:

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
My heart goes out to you and your city. The way the league treats the people and city is criminal. If Calgary does move there would be no better place that Quebec City to land. Tragically I don't think the league wants to see that happen. I seriously wonder if they want a team in QC at all.
Quebec looks like a beautiful place .... it"s too bad they couldn't have held on a little longer ... people said Winnipeg would never get their team back and they did so I wouldn't give up hope ...

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It's the same concept , both are entertainment districts to be development with the cities receiving new tax revenues .... the city of Calgary has said the Flames are not getting the Edmonton deal ... and without comparing the two in a breakdown of both I'm assuming the Oils are getting a better deal from their city ... you won't please everyone but the city understands the importance of the development to Calgary moving forward ... I think it will ultimately get done ... and as a property tax payer I'm cheering for it to happen ..
I agree. That's why it's best that Calgary stop negotiating and send a clear message. Either taxpayers benefit from the deal (big time) or the Flames have to go it alone. The Flames have made it clear that they do not care about taxpayers. and now need to go it alone.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Quebec looks like a beautiful place .... it"s too bad they couldn't have held on a little longer ... people said Winnipeg would never get their team back and they did so I wouldn't give up hope ...
I salute you. You have far more faith in the league and the process than I do.

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
The Flames are in Quebec in 2-5 years if this Event Center doesn't happen

Murray Edwards has wanted to sell the team quietly for a while

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The Flames are in Quebec in 2-5 years if this Event Center doesn't happen

Murray Edwards has wanted to sell the team quietly for a while
If they build a privately funded arena the team would actually have a really good stay here in Calgary. Like QC this is a great hockey market if the team wants to put a little elbow grease into it and make it work.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Unless flames ownership plans on selling the team I don’t know if there is another market that they can just move their team to and do well financially given most arenas in the bigger to mid sized markets have a pro team who would likely have the arena management agreement.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
It gets tiring hearing nationalists demand teams move to Canada.

Maybe its because people of your ilk wish to do the same to other fanbase. Not just Coyotes either.

Reactions: SniperHF

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Eric Francis makes predictions including this issue for 2022

3 Bold Flames predictions for 2022: Arena deal will be finalized

Despite the pro Flames point of view, he does bring up a valid point that both parties have come too far to let this die over a less than 8 figure dispute

It's best both take time off for the holidays and come back with some flexibile thinking and this should get done.
The city needs an arena more than the Flames do? This guy's pathetic but he is right about one thing: Council does need to come to its sense but not in the way he wants or expects. Council has to realize that the Flames have to build their own arena and pay for everything.

The only document that should be going on the table is a tax assessment for the new privately funded arena.

Last edited:

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
I actually love the saddledome, It's really the last of the areas with "personality" so to speak, but it is defintily time to plan/build for the future.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
What I do find "odd' is that there was rumblings in the summer about CSEC selling the Stampeders (CFL) which is rather strange considering they're a healthy/strong/stable team. Considering CSEC owns the NLL/WHL/NHL/CFL in town, it would strange to get rid of the asset considering it doesn't really cost anything compared to the NHL and it makes money every year. Perhaps stadium related (they need a new one/upgrades) but none the less, you don't see these sports conglomerates giving up monopoly positions too often.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
What I do find "odd' is that there was rumblings in the summer about CSEC selling the Stampeders (CFL) which is rather strange considering they're a healthy/strong/stable team. Considering CSEC owns the NLL/WHL/NHL/CFL in town, it would strange to get rid of the asset considering it doesn't really cost anything compared to the NHL and it makes money every year. Perhaps stadium related (they need a new one/upgrades) but none the less, you don't see these sports conglomerates giving up monopoly positions too often.

That rumbling came from Rod Pederson, former voice of the Riders. He was the only one who mentioned anything and immediately said the Calgary media was covering it up ....even said the sale had XFL connections

This was back around August 10 a week before the BC Lions were sold....yet he had nothing on it. This is more likely a Riders troll job than an actual rumour

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That rumbling came from Rod Pederson, former voice of the Riders. He was the only one who mentioned anything and immediately said the Calgary media was covering it up ....even said the sale had XFL connections

This was back around August 10 a week before the BC Lions were sold....yet he had nothing on it. This is more likely a Riders troll job than an actual rumour
It's the most easy asset to sell off since they don't play in the Saddledome like the other 3 properties.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Winnipeg got some of the money it invested back when they sold Winnipeg arena and Winnipeg Stadium to property developers.

Edmonton taxpayers aren't complaining given the tax revenue from the arena area, which was in the the only undeveloped area of the city core before. Not to mention they now have control over all the Northlands property now, including the old Coliseum.

The IG Field issue in Manitoba is under heavy litigation and will be for years. They had to redo all the concourse concrete within 2 years of opening and the government wrote off the loans involved at a cost of almost $175 million.

The sale of the old property was a complete mess and it sat vacant for years so no tax revenue as anticipated. The City of Winnipeg ended up paying almost $5 million to demolish the arena and then sold the land for less.

It was not a great moment for taxpayers, and the biggest issue from the get-go was an attempt to hide the actual cost of the building and being cheap. The majority would have been fine with a transparent process to get a stadium for a community-owned asset.

Reactions: voyageur

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
The city needs an arena more than the Flames do? This guy's pathetic but he is right about one thing: Council does need to come to its sense but not in the way he wants or expects. Council has to realize that the Flames have to build their own arena and pay for everything.

The only document that should be going on the table is a tax assessment for the new privately funded arena.

Truth of the matter is the answer to this IMO is yes. Sir, do you remember this at all?

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nh...saddledome-total-loss-from-flooding-1.1301599

The city was lucky IMO to be able to renovate the building following the 2013 flooding. Honestly, I'm surprised that the structural viability of the building wasn't compromised as a result of all that water in there.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Truth of the matter is the answer to this IMO is yes. Sir, do you remember this at all?

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nh...saddledome-total-loss-from-flooding-1.1301599

The city was lucky IMO to be able to renovate the building following the 2013 flooding. Honestly, I'm surprised that the structural viability of the building wasn't compromised as a result of all that water in there.
That changes nothing. The city can limp along with the Saddledome. It's not ideal but there are more important things to spend our money on.

If the Flames don't like it they know what to do. If private citizens are desperate for a new arena they can share the expense with the Flames.

Reactions: AT14C
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad