Calgary city council approves arena deal (UPD: new deal upcoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
If they are going to use tax money here is what I propose. Sin tax. Tax alcohol, cigarettes, whatever. Use that to fund the arena and after that whatever province needs.

Well I presume they already do tax those things so tax hike would be more proper.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When it comes to an arena (or stadium) there is a paradox. If there was a certainty the structure would make money, owners would build them on their own. Every market is different but as a general rule, there are only a handful of cities where that is the case.

The Saddledome needs to be retired, nobody can really argue that point as there simply are not enough seats in the far more lucrative bowl compared to every other arena in the league. But the current economic situation in Alberta muddles things.

Reactions: Devonator

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
If they are going to use tax money here is what I propose. Sin tax. Tax alcohol, cigarettes, whatever. Use that to fund the arena and after that whatever province needs.

Well I presume they already do tax those things so tax hike would be more proper.

Booze and cigs are already notoriously overpriced in Canada so it would be a good chunk of tax dollars too.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Arena talks back on the agenda at City Hall

To quote:

"City councillors received an information package just before the weekend that outlines some information on funding for a new arena in the core and they are meeting behind closed doors on Monday to discuss the proposal.

Council is expected to vote on the terms for a $600 million events centre before they take it to the Calgary Flames for consideration."

Source (with Video): calgary.ctvnews.ca/arena-talks-back-on-the-agenda-at-city-hall-1.4321425

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Arena talks back on the agenda at City Hall

To quote:

"City councillors received an information package just before the weekend that outlines some information on funding for a new arena in the core and they are meeting behind closed doors on Monday to discuss the proposal.

Council is expected to vote on the terms for a $600 million events centre before they take it to the Calgary Flames for consideration."

Source (with Video): calgary.ctvnews.ca/arena-talks-back-on-the-agenda-at-city-hall-1.4321425

You'd think the Flames would have a seat at the table.........oh right, I forgot that buffoon Nenshi burned that bridge down.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Hmmmmmm $1.5B

Doesn't say how much of the 1.5 billion is going to the event centre/arena.

Funds also set aside for the BMO Centre Expansion, Arts Commons Expansion and the Field House.

Also wonder if CRL money is included in this figure. Seems like the city portion of the event centre will be a 'flexible amount' during negotiations with CSEC

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
More integrated oil companies will. Duh.

Which? The ones that haven't already left are making clear signs that they're transitioning their investments elsewhere, in case our city's vacancy rates haven't already clued you in on that. Who is going to want to anyway when there's cheaper, more viable sources to extract in other countries that have nowhere near as many scruples as Ottawa does about the red tape needed to extract it or, christ forbid, transport it someplace where it can be sold?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Sounds like it's more of a proposal to be presented to council on Monday according to the article.

To quote
"It's not a deal at this particular point, there's still lots of steps to go through. It's really a proposal and we'll be giving an update," Sutherland said."

Also says, if it's within the financial framework, doesn't see a reason why it won't be acceptable.

Definition of financial framework TBD but it appears there's major progress.

Calgary Flames reach tentative deal with city for new arena - Sportsnet.ca

Eric Francis says in the above Flames will contribute more than what Katz did in Edmonton (can't imbed a tweet for some reason), of course no dollar figures given right now.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Sounds like it's more of a proposal to be presented to council on Monday according to the article.

To quote
"It's not a deal at this particular point, there's still lots of steps to go through. It's really a proposal and we'll be giving an update," Sutherland said."

Also says, if it's within the financial framework, doesn't see a reason why it won't be acceptable.

Definition of financial framework TBD but it appears there's major progress.

Calgary Flames reach tentative deal with city for new arena - Sportsnet.ca

Eric Francis says in the above Flames will contribute more than what Katz did in Edmonton (can't imbed a tweet for some reason), of course no dollar figures given right now.

Edmonton's core was in dire need of revitalization, so you'd think Katz had more leverage there.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Looks like the city will own the arena, but the flames will pay for (most of) it. Sort of a logical middle ground between where both sides were 2 years ago.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Good luck to them if true. I'm rooting for them!

I've been to the Saddledome, it was outdated in 2002. I applaud the Flames for sticking it out in that barn but it's time to upgrade.

Brent Burns Beard