Calgary city council approves arena deal (UPD: new deal upcoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Coun. Jeromy Farkas asking residents to weigh in on new arena

To quote:

"Coun. Jeromy Farkas plans to “kick off the conversation” about a potential new event centre at a town hall meeting Thursday, which he says will focus on questions including whether Calgarians want a new arena.

Farkas, whose ward includes the Saddledome, said he also wants to find out whether residents support city taxpayers contributing financially to a new arena, and whether they would like to have their say on an arena deal in a formal vote.

The councillor has sent a notice to Ward 11 residents asking them for their responses to those questions in advance of the meeting, where he will share the results."

Source: calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/coun-jeromy-farkas-asking-residents-to-weigh-in-on-new-arena
looks like the flames are looking for a new city to play in..

this will not end well.....

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
The only conclusion will be the Flames leaving town in 10 years if the city can't get a new arena built. Flames will not play in a 50 year old arena, Edwards isn't that dumb

Last edited by a moderator:

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
The only conclusion will be the Flames leaving town in 10 years if the city can't get a new arena built. Flames will not play in a 50 year old arena, Edwards isn't that dumb

Calgary's corporate base is abandoning the country. The shiniest best arena on earth isn't going to make up for that.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
There will be more information on possible funding in April. Seems like there is momentum.

I've noticed the mayor has changed his tune and is less adversarial. Not being sold based on an economic argument...but can see value in more 'intagible' benifets.

i.e. He lost out on his legacy project called the Olympics so needs a new one.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Careful there CorbeauNoir, don't... hurtle yourself into the fiery caldera of the Mt. Conclusions volcano.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Careful there CorbeauNoir, don't... hurtle yourself into the fiery caldera of the Mt. Conclusions volcano.

It's called 'reading the news' and 'living here witnessing it first hand'. Devon Energy are now the latest ones announcing they're pulling the ripcord and bailing out. Another 9 billion dollars of private investment packing up and leaving, being replaced by... um, nothing.

You need SOMEbody to buy those advertising spaces kiddo. We're now stuck giving spaces away to 'I <3 Cdn Oil and Gas" because we can't find someone actually willing to put up cash for that space instead. It's pathetic and unsustainable for maintaining an NHL-calibre franchise.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Devon is packaging up not only their Albertan heavy crude assets for sale, but also their assets in the Barnett Shale in Texas. Their play in the Barnett Shale is actually their largest, and combined with their assets in Alberta they account for over half of all of Devon's O&G production. The Barnett Shale operations were actually about one-third as profitable as the heavy crude ops in Alberta, even accounting for the higher cap-ex and op-ex costs, simply because the price of gas is even worse than oil.

So, by the very same line of reasoning Dallas and/or Houston are soon to become "the new Detroit". Better call off the Flames move to Houston, better move the Dallas Stars to... wherever; the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Believe it or not CorbeauNoir the sky isn't falling in Calgary, as long as you don't work in O&G.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Devon is packaging up not only their Albertan heavy crude assets for sale, but also their assets in the Barnett Shale in Texas. Their play in the Barnett Shale is actually their largest, and combined with their assets in Alberta they account for over half of all of Devon's O&G production. The Barnett Shale operations were actually about one-third as profitable as the heavy crude ops in Alberta, even accounting for the higher cap-ex and op-ex costs, simply because the price of gas is even worse than oil.

So, by the very same line of reasoning Dallas and/or Houston are soon to become "the new Detroit". Better call off the Flames move to Houston, better move the Dallas Stars to... wherever; the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Believe it or not CorbeauNoir the sky isn't falling in Calgary, as long as you don't work in O&G.

Except the US is in the midst of a domestic oil boom and somebody is going to fill the void by actually buying up those Texas assets. Who out there is going to want to purchase the Albertan ones? The regulatory nonsense and the inability to move our product to any kind of viable market in any direction we attempt to go already crippling us is in and of itself scaring people away, christ forbid when C69 inevitably gets shoved down our throats.

But hey, as long as you're not directly or indirectly involved in the single biggest reason why Alberta isn't still a province of shit-kicking farmers everything's just peachy. If we cave to animal rights activists anywhere near as spinelessly as we've caved to TIDES and we might not even have that to fall back on. We're about to become as viable an economic option for NHL hockey as f***ing West Virginia is.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Whoosh.jpg

I could very well end up being forced into leaving along with them. Hard to make a living in architecture when local clients who want things built are drying up. Goodness knows a lot of the people I've gone to school with or worked with haven't had as much patience with how things have been going here.

Oh, but it's not directly the O&G industry and there's apparently no trickle-down impact whatsoever, so everything is clearly still going great.

Last edited:

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Edwards holds all the cards because last time I checked he owns the team. Nenshi is a blowhard buffoon who can't get out of his own way, and is currently watching his cities downtown vacancy rate become the laughing stock of North America. If Nenshi doesn't want to play ball with the Flames, then ultimately they may have to look elsewhere, as The Saddledome only has 10-12 years left. There's always some sucker city ready to build a team a fancy new arena, or let them play in a new arena....

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Except the US is in the midst of a domestic oil boom and somebody is going to fill the void by actually buying up those Texas assets. Who out there is going to want to purchase the Albertan ones?

More integrated oil companies will. Duh.

I could very well end up being forced into leaving along with them. Hard to make a living in architecture when local clients who want things built are drying up. Goodness knows a lot of the people I've gone to school with or worked with haven't had as much patience with how things have been going here.

Oh, but it's not directly the O&G industry and there's apparently no trickle-down impact whatsoever, so everything is clearly still going great.

LOL, maybe I've worked with you in the past; I'm a mechanical engineering consultant. Lots of work out there still.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/bettman-says-flames-finances-impacted-by-the-aging-saddledome-1.3826477

Bettman said that Calgary used to be a top 10 team that made money for the league, but now over the past few years, the NHL has been the one writing cheques.

“The cheques are getting bigger and that means the situation, financially, continues to deteriorate and that will affect, I suppose, the competitiveness of the organization.”

Yet Forbes says Calgary Operating Income: $5.4 M

Bettman is so full of it. Anything to get the taxpayers to buy him a new building.

And what cheques is the NHL writing? The revenue sharing cheques like half the league gets.

This again? Wish Bettman could come up with something new than just stealing tax payers money.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Last week the Event Centre committee approved a term sheet for negotiations and according to this article (and others that came out the same time), it was going to a full council vote on Monday which was yesterday.

Negotiation terms, funding identified for potential arena deal: city

I haven't come across anything to what happened, weather approved, rejected, rescheduled etc.... I don't think it would have been approved in private.

Does anyone know where this stands ?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Last week the Event Centre committee approved a term sheet for negotiations and according to this article (and others that came out the same time), it was going to a full council vote on Monday which was yesterday.

I haven't come across anything to what happened, weather approved, rejected, rescheduled etc.... I don't think it would have been approved in private.

It is unclear from reading these what happened, but here are the various committee meeting agendas/actions:

Source: www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks/Pages/Legislative-services/Agenda-Minutes.aspx

Event Centre Assessment Committee
20 Feb 2019 - https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/FileStream.ashx?DocumentId=81526

Combined Meeting of Council
25 Feb 2019 - https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/FileStream.ashx?DocumentId=82825

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017

This is just the city doing this correct? I believe the Flames have said they won't negotiate with the city the way things stand. Pretty sure Nenshi burned that bridge between the city and Edwards

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
This is just the city doing this correct? I believe the Flames have said they won't negotiate with the city the way things stand. Pretty sure Nenshi burned that bridge between the city and Edwards

The city has initiated reaching (or some say crawl) back to the Flames. The Flames are open to talk but want to keep talks private.

By the sounds of this term sheet with money 'found' but no word of how much, the private nature of these talks appear to be the case.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
It is unclear from reading these what happened, but here are the various committee meeting agendas/actions:

Source: www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks/Pages/Legislative-services/Agenda-Minutes.aspx

Event Centre Assessment Committee
20 Feb 2019 - https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/FileStream.ashx?DocumentId=81526

Combined Meeting of Council
25 Feb 2019 - https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/FileStream.ashx?DocumentId=82825

After a marathon session yesterday. yest postponed to next Monday! March 4

Council postpones decision on new arena proposal to Flames

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
The city has initiated reaching (or some say crawl) back to the Flames. The Flames are open to talk but want to keep talks private.

By the sounds of this term sheet with money 'found' but no word of how much, the private nature of these talks appear to be the case.
The city will have its tail between its legs when it comes crawling back with a proposal to the Flames. Any less than what Edmonton got, and I think Edwards tells them to go **** themselves

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad