Confirmed with Link: Cale Makar is the Official NHL 24 Cover Athlete

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm pretty sure that was in reference to "the lines" (i.e. forward lines), since Cale played with multiple defensive partners, on both the left and right side.
No, it really was D pairings. He said that they paired the defensemen before the tournament and it wouldn't change so they have time to learn to play together.

Of course Makar played with multiple guys as he was the 7th D.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No, it really was D pairings. He said that they paired the defensemen before the tournament and it wouldn't change so they have time to learn to play together.

Of course Makar played with multiple guys as he was the 7th D.

How did he not change the D pairs if Cale played with multiple partners on both the left and right side? The only way that can happen is by changing the D pairs.

Timmins played with multiple partners as well. I think Timmins minutes fluctuated a lot too. He was played in some games as a bottom pair D man and some games like a top pair D man IIRC.

The one constant was Makar didn't get minutes for some reason, finishing with the least of the seven D.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Watching the gameplay reveal trailer is a bit odd:

A few things:

- The hitting in this video is much greater than in actual NHL games.
- "Hit players into the bench and break the glass" which was the case in NHL 2003. Okay,
- The tethering thing for the goalie controls - again, something that was largely the case in 09, the first year they had Be a Pro.
- Oddballs in the comments wanting things like warm-ups and coaches challenges (what virtual recreations of sports need is all the administration that goes with it)

09 was the last NHL game I had and 11 was the last FIFA I had. I've not played an EA sports game since. I know enough about FIFA to know that gameplay and game modes don't really improve year on year, but they're too far gone in terms of chasing money from FUT to expect anything. The latest I know of Career Mode is that it genuinely just doesn't work, but they've no real reason to try and fix it.

Either way, the (somewhat naive, probably) notion I have is that games like this year on year should build on the previous year and add and refine features. Instead it seems like features get added, deteriorate over the next few years then get reannounced as if they're to be celebrated. Is this about accurate? I'm getting the game regardless (and I'll probably love it) but I'm curious about how underwhelming it's going to be.

Bring it back to PC !!! Consoles are for youngens.

These NHL PC games include NHL 99, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 06, 07, 08, and 09, so it can be done !!!

Reactions: The Moops

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How did he not change the D pairs if Cale played with multiple partners on both the left and right side? The only way that can happen is by changing the D pairs.

Timmins played with multiple partners as well. I think Timmins minutes fluctuated a lot too. He was played in some games as a bottom pair D man and some games like a top pair D man IIRC.

The one constant was Makar didn't get minutes for some reason, finishing with the least of the seven D.
Yes, because he was labeled as the 7th D before the tournament. You can stop arguing now.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I wonder how AI will change the future of gaming… knowing that AI IS in the game already

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yes, because he was labeled as the 7th D before the tournament. You can stop arguing now.

Who's arguing? We were just having a discussion. You're a weird one Balth.

And you didn't explain how Ducharme kept the same D pairs, or how their minutes were set in stone, when Makar played with multiple D partners, on both the left and right side, and Timmins played with multiple partners as well and saw a bigger role as the tourney went on.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I just went back and read the Makar WJC thread a bit ago. It's a classic.

Timmins was hurt (surprise) for a few games which led to some partner switches. Makar probably could have played 24 minutes a night and been amazing, but he wasn't at that point yet. He was incredible in his small role, and he accepted it.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The WJC was just strange. Best Dman of the tournament and the coach doesn't want to play Makar that much not even on the PP. Only reason he even got that much minutes was because of injuries.

Still was the leading scorer among defensemen, the gap would have been noticable if Makar was given a bigger role. Probably would have lead the tournament in scoring, only 2 points behind with limited chances.

Last edited:

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
The WJC was just strange. Best Dman of the tournament and the coach doesn't want to play Makar that much not even on the PP. Only reason he even got that much minutes was because of injuries.

Still was the leading scorer among defensemen, the gap would have been noticable if Makar was given a bigger role. Probably would have lead the tournament in scoring, only 2 points behind with limited chances.
Wasn't there some politics too? Like Canada was pissed he played college in the US?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wasn't there some politics too? Like Canada was pissed he played college in the US?

Not clear if that was true or not, but it was a rumor at the time.

Cale was the only player on the team though aside from the backup goalie and Fabbro, who didn't play in the CHL.

Fabbro was a year older and managed to play a bigger role than Cale though, despite being the same size, and having 0 points in the tournament.

Timmins who came from the CHL played well, but he was a 2nd round pick in the same draft Cale went 4th overall, and was given top pairing minutes in some of the games.

Clague and Bean had just 2 and 3 points (all assists) in the tourney and played like dog shit by most accounts defensively but got bigger roles than Cale as well.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

A few things:

- "Hit players into the bench and break the glass" which was the case in NHL 2003. Okay,
- The tethering thing for the goalie controls - again, something that was largely the case in 09, the first year they had Be a Pro.
- Oddballs in the comments wanting things like warm-ups and coaches challenges (what virtual recreations of sports need is all the administration that goes with it)

09 was the last NHL game I had and 11 was the last FIFA I had. I've not played an EA sports game since. I know enough about FIFA to know that gameplay and game modes don't really improve year on year, but they're too far gone in terms of chasing money from FUT to expect anything. The latest I know of Career Mode is that it genuinely just doesn't work, but they've no real reason to try and fix it.

Either way, the (somewhat naive, probably) notion I have is that games like this year on year should build on the previous year and add and refine features. Instead it seems like features get added, deteriorate over the next few years then get reannounced as if they're to be celebrated. Is this about accurate? I'm getting the game regardless (and I'll probably love it) but I'm curious about how underwhelming it's going to be.

Makar is Scott Stevens in that trailer

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Can't they just add bobbled pucks on passes and stickhandling? That in itself would make the game more realistic.

You can usually adjust that. One of the best aspects they've seemed to keep for that game is the ability to unf*** their stupid slow game play settings, and over doing it on losing the puck when someone brushes against you.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Makar is Scott Stevens in that trailer

By the time I get done editing Makar's player card he'll be the D version of Forsberg, Mack will be Forsberg, and Rantanen might as well be Lindros. Landy can stay Landy, though with Viking mode engaged at all times a never getting injured.

I make my entire team assholes who fight and hit everything. Only way to play lol.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

A few things:

This year's game has the all-new Bruise Control™.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The players beat their wives in the game too? Next we're going to be controlling them like that kid and Girard Butler.
If we want to make the Be a Pro modes truly realistic we need to have strip clubs, cocaine, fights with bouncers, hookers in hotel rooms, fights with the wives when it is found out (physical or not is a choice), maybe a few legal issues... and a social media account where you say random stupid things and have to explain it to your agent. Plus the age old apology press conference.

I feel like this is a missed opportunity for a GTA style game...

Reactions: Murzu

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That was the name of the hitting system in 2004. :laugh:

Oh, 🫣

I used to get pissed if I didn't put at least one person through the glass with Foote or Blake back in the day. Or break it with a slapper after trading for Mogilny lol.

If we want to make the Be a Pro modes truly realistic we need to have strip clubs, cocaine, fights with bouncers, hookers in hotel rooms, fights with the wives when it is found out (physical or not is a choice), maybe a few legal issues... and a social media account where you say random stupid things and have to explain it to your agent. Plus the age old apology press conference.

Sounds like a hockey version of Duke Nukem. I'm totally down for that shit.

I always thought the contract negotiations should be way more interesting anyways.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The concept peaked in 2001 with the little symbols next to the player indicators - a hammer for someone who was good at hitting, a stick for someone who was good at shooting. The two kinds of players.

1692303583968.png

• Love
Reactions: UncleRisto

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

A press conference mini game where you have to gauge the reaction of the reporters would be awesome.

"Regarding the actions I took during the incident in Las Vegas last month"

Option 1. "I believe once everything is out there. You'll see that the action I took were only to protect my self" (Lawyer recommended)

Option 2. "I didn't start that fight, but I was there to end it." (Speak from the heart)

Option 3. "I had nothing to do with the brawl that occured that night in Vegas. I was asleep in my hotel room." (Deny involvement. Camera footage of the brawl is circulating online)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A press conference mini game where you have to gauge the reaction of the reporters would be awesome.

"Regarding the actions I took during the incident in Las Vegas last month"

Option 1. "I believe once everything is out there. You'll see that the action I took were only to protect my self" (Lawyer recommended)

Option 2. "I didn't start that fight, but I was there to end it." (Speak from the heart)

Option 3. "I had nothing to do with the brawl that occured that night in Vegas. I was asleep in my hotel room." (Deny involvement. Camera footage of the brawl is circulating online)

You've already far surpassed EAs capabilities in this area lol.

The contract negotiations are more limited than an 18 month old's vocabulary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad