Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
Laughed at by people with no clue. I hate this narrative. Karlsson was never as bad defensively as people made him out to be. Not even close.

Both he and PK were heavily scrutinized for "defense" in terms of their turnovers. This was when most stat sheets had pretty limited information. What most have learned since that time is that a lot of the best defensemen in the NHL have a LOT of turnovers because they are on the puck all the time. Brent Burns lead the league with 153 and Karlsson was second with 106. They are inaccurately labled "giveaways" in the official stats but in most cases that's not what those offensive-minded defensemen are doing. They are making a high volume of passes so their raw totals are higher.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There are turnovers and then there are turnovers. Creative players who have the puck on their sticks and look to make plays will get it wrong. Coaches can live with Erik Karlsson turnovers because of what happens when there isn't a turnover.

A Nate Guenin turnover however is just a turnover.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Both he and PK were heavily scrutinized for "defense" in terms of their turnovers. This was when most stat sheets had pretty limited information. What most have learned since that time is that a lot of the best defensemen in the NHL have a LOT of turnovers because they are on the puck all the time. Brent Burns lead the league with 153 and Karlsson was second with 106. They are inaccurately labled "giveaways" in the official stats but in most cases that's not what those offensive-minded defensemen are doing. They are making a high volume of passes so their raw totals are higher.

I have no doubt that stat probably contributes to some peoples evaluation of those players. I don't think Subban is on their level, or close to it. I seen a lot of Subban live over the three years prior to him being in Nashville, and it didn't make me appreciate his game.

There was a lot of taking unnecessary risks, and some very lazy shifts at times. For me he disappeared far to often, and when he did show up it wasn't always positive.

This is judging him pretty harshly though because everyone was pumping his tires as a top five defender in the league, and some saying he was top two.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
As great as he can be, Subban was a bad and often costly turnover machine in Montreal. It happens when you have the puck a lot but if you're trying to make a flashy/unnecessary play then it's all on you.

Karlsson is turning over the puck too but it's not because he's trying to be flashy. It's because he always has the friggin' puck.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
As great as he can be, Subban was a bad and often costly turnover machine in Montreal. It happens when you have the puck a lot but if you're trying to make a flashy/unnecessary play then it's all on you.

Karlsson is turning over the puck too but it's not because he's trying to be flashy. It's because he always has the friggin' puck.

His one turnover cost us Sergecheav lol but we got Rantanen so its cool.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

See, you keep saying that and I still think you're way off-base. It wasn't about him being "flashy." He wasn't being selfish--he is a dynamic offensive catalyst stuck with a coach who just wanted dump-and-chase hockey. He tried to generate offense and oftentimes got hung out to dry. It's no coincidence that he went to a club that employed a system the suits him exactly and those supposedly glaring turnovers suddenly weren't much of an issue. He didn't change his style, he just got a much better coach and team around him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
See, you keep saying that and I still think you're way off-base. It wasn't about him being "flashy." He wasn't being selfish--he is a dynamic offensive catalyst stuck with a coach who just wanted dump-and-chase hockey. He tried to generate offense and oftentimes got hung out to dry. It's no coincidence that he went to a club that employed a system the suits him exactly and those supposedly glaring turnovers suddenly weren't much of an issue. He didn't change his style, he just got a much better coach and team around him.

I'll admit this probably has a lot of merit. I think the way he was being asked to play in Montreal contributed to how inconsistent he was on both sides of the puck.

It's kind of like Barrie to an extent. If you limit these types of players. You see a hell of a lot more warts than you do the things that make them valuable.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll admit this probably has a lot of merit. I think the way he was being asked to play in Montreal contributed to how inconsistent he was on both sides of the puck.

It's kind of like Barrie to an extent. If you limit these types of players. You see a hell of a lot more warts than you do the things that make them valuable.

hit-the-nail-on-the-head-610x426.jpg

MyNHLPearlsOfWisdom*

Jun 14, 2017

Usually people I find that say this stuff have no problem with the guys that dump the puck up the boards and have it brought back in a lot of the time .Especially if they hit somebody before they did it.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Some good words from Canada's coach
Canada defenseman Cale Makar (Colorado Avalanche) had some catching up to do compared to the rest of his teammates.

Makar, who played for Brooks in the Alberta Junior Hockey League the past two seasons, was a bit of an unknown to the Hockey Canada staff. He's one of two Canada players not to play in the Canadian Hockey League. Defenseman Dennis Cholowski (Detroit Red Wings) is the other.

But Makar's performance this week, including a goal in a 7-4 victory against Sweden, has shown that he belongs among the elite players in his age group.

"I'm here to showcase what I've got and showcase what I can bring potentially to the [2018 WJC] team," Makar said. "I think you just go out there and do what you do best. … The speed is something that I treasure in my game. I think I've been fairly keeping up here. In terms of that I've done my job successfully."

Canada coach Dominique Ducharme said he knew almost nothing about Makar at the start of the Summer Showcase, but he's been impressed.

"He's got great feet, quick feet, really quick hands," Ducharme said. "He's a battler. He's competing. You can see it. He's adjusting to the game. … You see him getting better and better. We really like that."

https://www.nhl.com/news/david-farrance-steps-up-at-world-junior-summer-showcase/c-290599666

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm really excited about Makar. The adjustment he made despite playing against poor quality the last two years was pretty impressive. Not to mention it's the middle of summer when IMO nobody should be judged on their hockey abilities. He's going to have a tough adjustment to NCAA but I have a feeling once he makes it he's going to look a step above most junior players by the time WJC comes around. An absolute lock to make Team Canada IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm really excited about Makar. The adjustment he made despite playing against poor quality the last two years was pretty impressive. Not to mention it's the middle of summer when IMO nobody should be judged on their hockey abilities. He's going to have a tough adjustment to NCAA but I have a feeling once he makes it he's going to look a step above most junior players by the time WJC comes around. An absolute lock to make Team Canada IMO.

He definitely had some nerves going Tuesday. You could definitely see the difference Friday. IMO he may be their best defender by the WJC.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wonder if Makar has a shot at the Olympics if Canada pulls from College teams like USA will be doing? I don't know who would lead that class who does not have an NHL contract?

The Olympic teams for NA could look somewhat similar to the WJC rosters maybe? Unless I'm missing something?

USA has said publicly they'll be looking at College players for their team.

Edit : With a quick look, none of the projected rosters for Canada include Canadians on College teams. Is that just because there isn't as many, or is there some rule stopping that? Canada's roster looks like trash in every scenario I see.

But both he and Renney wonder, might the Olympic team have access to AHL players, those NHL prospects on the cusp of playing in the league? Would any Canadians playing college hockey be available? How about top juniors? If Nolan Patrick didn't make it directly to the NHL as the projected No. 1 pick of the 2017 NHL entry draft, would he be interested in following in the footsteps of his uncle James Patrick, a member of Canada's 1984 Olympic team?

All good questions, said Renney, for which there are no ready answers.

Looks like it's actually possible

Last edited:

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Politics will probably prevent it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I dont think do. Canada wants a Spengler Cup roster. We'll see how young USA goes.

If it's going to be on the larger ice sheet, they'd be dumb to go with players like that over younger faster players. Regardless they'd probably be smarter to go with younger players.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I thought the rosy cheeks was a result of being shy/nervous during interviews. Apparently not :laugh:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
If it's going to be on the larger ice sheet, they'd be dumb to go with players like that over younger faster players. Regardless they'd probably be smarter to go with younger players.

The Spengler Cup guys already always play on the larger ice sheet.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

Everybody keeps saying that he has played against weak competition so one question? How much worse is the best team in AJHL compared to the worst in the NCAA? im sure he has had strong opposition at times as well. Otherwise he shouldn't be this good for team canada right now, eh? :)

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Everybody keeps saying that he has played against weak competition so one question? How much worse is the best team in AJHL compared to the worst in the NCAA? im sure he has had strong opposition at times as well. Otherwise he shouldn't be this good for team canada right now, eh? :)

Could not help but think that Makar wont be seeing much change in quality of teammates when I read this. Seems to me that he is going from the best AJHL team (51-5-4, 106 points in 60 games) to the worst NCAA D1 team (5-2-29, 5 points in 36 games) :)

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Could not help but think that Makar wont be seeing much change in quality of teammates when I read this. Seems to me that he is going from the best AJHL team (51-5-4, 106 points in 60 games) to the worst NCAA D1 team (5-2-29, 5 points in 36 games) :)

Wait! What???

Why is he going to an horrible team???

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Wait! What???

Why is he going to an horrible team???

Amherst has been bad and faces incredibly difficult competition (BU, Boston College among others). He made the commitment early to the program before his profile as a prospect skyrocketed. He stayed loyal, which is admirable.

I think the NCAA will be a fine place for him to develop, but I do wonder about the adversity he will face. On the positive side, he will get enormous amounts of ice time in all situations, which can only improve his game. On the negative side, he will face many losses and I am not sure what his point totals will be like. He may be playing with teammates that lack some of the higher skill to capitalize on the chances he creates.

It very well could be the case that he plays well and develops rapidly next year, but his point totals will be lacking on a bad team. As a result, it would not surprise me for many on these boards to downgrade him as a prospect, which will be a mistake IMO.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Amherst has been bad and faces incredibly difficult competition (BU, Boston College among others). He made the commitment early to the program before his profile as a prospect skyrocketed. He stayed loyal, which is admirable.

I think the NCAA will be a fine place for him to develop, but I do wonder about the adversity he will face. On the positive side, he will get enormous amounts of ice time in all situations, which can only improve his game. On the negative side, he will face many losses and I am not sure what his point totals will be like. He may be playing with teammates that lack some of the higher skill to capitalize on the chances he creates.

It very well could be the case that he plays well and develops rapidly next year, but his point totals will be lacking on a bad team. As a result, it would not surprise me for many on these boards to downgrade him as a prospect, which will be a mistake IMO.

I dont think it will be our boards so much. We all at this point know the type of player he is and can already see the immense amount of skill he has. Even if his point totals are down we'll still be seeing the creativity and skill on showcase and will know what kind of player he is.

It'll be the main boards folks who will simply look at his production(If it's lacking), and immediately start to think he's on his way to being a bust, especially considering a lot of them think he's a pure offensive Dman with no 2-way game at all.

Should be fun to read all the "Wow Colorado completely whiffed on that pick" posts over the next year or so if Makar doesn't produce at least a 0.5 PPG pace this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad