Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part III: Not A Prospect Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Downright reasonable analysis from a Canucks fan is appreciated.

I actually think Hughes is a better puck handler than Makar. From what I’ve seen of the two, Hughes is a little more reliable in that area.

Makar’s advantage lies in his shooting ability and the explosion in his game.

Both franchises have defenceman who are going to elevate their entire team for years to come.

Yeah, Cale is certainly the more explosive of the two but Quinn is slicker. That's why I figured that Cale would end up the better creator in transition & two-way guy, while Quinn would be the better creator once already in the offensive zone...at least once they were both in their primes...that slickness is why I figured Quinn run the PP better despite the advantage Cale's shot gives him.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And ahead of Tyson "We'll Desperately Miss His Offense" Barrie.:sarcasm:

...who's offense we do miss, as his absence is a big part of why we need to play Cale n Samwise on separate pairings instead of letting them tear s*** up together again ;-)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Makar needs to play with Mack more. When these 2 are on the ice together magic happens. I have no clue why they don't do it more (I'm aware that D pairings and offensive lines are independent from each other but they can do it if they want to).

We've seen a few pushes yesterday that got ruined because Makar had no support good enough to finish or read the play. Mack developed a nice chemistry with Makar when everyone else was injured and he hasn't been able to reproduce it with Rants and Landy.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah, Cale is certainly the more explosive of the two but Quinn is slicker. That's why I figured that Cale would end up the better creator in transition & two-way guy, while Quinn would be the better creator once already in the offensive zone...at least once they were both in their primes...that slickness is why I figured Quinn run the PP better despite the advantage Cale's shot gives him.

I’ve been impressed with Makar’s progression on the power play. At the beginning of the year, he didn’t really seem like that much of a threat, but he’s getting much better on the man advantage. He’s so sneaky at shooting through traffic and is becoming more aggressive.

Reactions: cgf and flyfysher

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’ve been impressed with Makar’s progression on the power play. At the beginning of the year, he didn’t really seem like that much of a threat, but he’s getting much better on the man advantage. He’s so sneaky at shooting through traffic and is becoming more aggressive.

That's been one of the most exciting things about his development for me. Hughes always played like he knew he could pull things off that nobody else on the ice could; whereas Cale has been learning to be more outrageous as he's moved up the levels of competition...thus the comp to a more explosive Duncan Keith that used to be popular on this board. Can't wait to see just how brazen he realizes that his skillset allows him to be.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
"Where'd my mouthpiece go?" :laugh:

I imagine Bednar tries to get 8 and 29 out there as much as possible. Certainly on offensive zone draws.

Side note, geez, using Givani Smith to cover Makar there is one hell of a mismatch.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't get why people get so upset at the Hughes/Makar debate. Both are great and having fantastic rookie seasons. If we had Hughes instead of Makar it would be constant pumping Hughes up with: 'he's a year younger,' 'he's getting tougher minutes,'he's better defensively,' 'on a worse team,' etc. Instead of pumping up Makar as a better goal scorer, better points per 60, more points in less games, etc. Let it go, both are doing great and both deserve a lot of praise.

Nice to see your bias has been reduced to putting them on equal terms. :thumbu:

Reactions: avsfan09

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Nice to see your bias has been reduced to putting them on equal terms. :thumbu:

I'm not biased towards any prospect. I see what I see and evaluate. As time goes on, evaluations change. Nothing is static. ;)

Avs fans aren't giving enough credit to Hughes, but I don't feel like putting in the effort in debating the whole board. In due time, I think Avs fans will let go of their bias for Makar to see how good Hughes is and equal appreciation from both sides will happen.

Reactions: cgf and CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not biased towards any prospect. I see what I see and evaluate. As time goes on, evaluations change. Nothing is static. ;)

Avs fans aren't giving enough credit to Hughes, but I don't feel like putting in the effort in debating the whole board. In due time, I think Avs fans will let go of their bias for Makar to see how good Hughes is and equal appreciation from both sides will happen.

giphy.gif

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The Calder is voted on by members of the PHWA...

I'm sure his turning down Team Canada will not be affect any votes whatsoever....

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

I'm sure his turning down Team Canada will not be affect any votes whatsoever....
No rookie defenceman in the modern era has put up more than 50 points. If he doesn't break 50, something terrible has happened. He’s got a real shot at 65.

going point per game for the rest of the season has him at 70 points, which is top 3 all time IIRC.

It’s his trophy to lose

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

He’s having the best rookie season by a defenseman that pretty much any of us have ever seen (besides Bubba).

Unless he gets hurt again or completely forgets how to play hockey he is going to run away with this award.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He’s having the best rookie season by a defenseman that pretty much any of us have ever seen (besides Bubba).

Unless he gets hurt again or completely forgets how to play hockey he is going to run away with this award.

The only hiccup for Makar is if Hughes out produces him. Both have a realistic shot at 60 point seasons, and that is utterly insane.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The only hiccup for Makar is if Hughes out produces him. Both have a realistic shot at 60 point seasons, and that is utterly insane.

One thing in Makar's favour is that many of the national media seem to have already decided he's the winner. There have been so many times when I've heard someone say something along the lines of, "forget the Calder, Makar needs to be in the Norris conversation." I don't agree with the latter and it's probably not fair to Hughes but he might have to outproduce Makar by a decent amount in the eyes of some voters.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
One thing in Makar's favour is that many of the national media seem to have already decided he's the winner. There have been so many times when I've heard someone say something along the lines of, "forget the Calder, Makar needs to be in the Norris conversation." I don't agree with the latter and it's probably not fair to Hughes but he might have to outproduce Makar by a decent amount in the eyes of some voters.

Traditionally, the player that scores the most wins at least within positions. Makar certainly has the hype on his side, and it helps the Avs are the media darling right now. Hughes gets a few 3 point games and suddenly they are tied or maybe Hughes is head and it shifts. There is a half season to go and both being college kids could hit a rookie wall. As of now though, we are witnessing rookie seasons by two defensemen that are basically unheard of. To this point, Makar is leading and pushing in a way we haven't seen in nearly all of our lifetimes.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If Hughes outscores Makar i think he deserves the Norris considering their teams. I just don’t think there’s much pointing to that happening though. Especially if the Avs PP starts rolling.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
If Hughes outscores Makar i think he deserves the Norris considering their teams. I just don’t think there’s much pointing to that happening though. Especially if the Avs PP starts rolling.
The big caveat here being goals scored. If they're close and Makar has 20 goals as a rookie defenseman, that's going to be hard to ignore, no matter how many secondary assists Hughes piles up.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

The main issue with Bias is the offender usually can’t see it. Also not a comment about you as a poster as I certainly don’t have enough knowledge or time to check your previous opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad