Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part II: #OrrIsTheFloor Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Something tells me Barrie isn't going to set the bar unobtainably high this year. Replacing 18-19 Barrie's 59 points? Yeah, no way. But I wouldn't be over the moon shocked if Makar keeps pace with Barrie in the points department with the way Toronto is utilizing Barrie and knowing Babcock is too stubborn to change.

Yeah most of them most likely will be secondary assists off the top 6 forwards, but points are points.

Seems like a weird argument to me. We'd probably use Barrie the same way we had in the past and I suspect he'd probably put 65 points up on our squad. That's the real bar being set. Toronto can be as Mickey Mouse as they want with Babcock, Barrie, and his ice time choices with other players too, but the true metric should be what we would have done. Because we're doing it "better" and "differently" than a club like Toronto, supposedly.

Ultimately, I think the trade off this year was less about Makar 100% fulfilling the veteran Barrie's role and production for this year, but more about thrusting him into that role that he may not quite be ready for, and getting him ready for NEXT year (and also for this year's playoffs). They watched him be thrust into a similar role at UMass and he had a slow first year. But then look what he did. I think they're following that same recipe.

IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With Barrie, he always tends to start slow. Even if he is putting up points, he always looked mediocre at best to start for the first 10-15 games. Then he gets going. Him not lighting the world on fire to start the season in Toronto is pretty predictable. He'll get better as the season goes along. Babcock needs to learn that he's better with the puck on his stick and be willing to adapt... which might be asking too much.

All that said, it is more about Makar replacing what Barrie did here for years. He was near the top EV minutes and QB'd the power play at a high level since that switch flipped. Those minutes are minutes where Barrie consistently drove the play towards the Avs' side. Then just replacing that level of production will prove to be very tough, and honestly, if Makar gets back on the top PP unit, that will be the easiest points to replace (and getting all 25 will still be difficult). the EV points will be much more difficult. Barrie's production there since he fully established himself ranged between 26 and 37 EV points. Last year he had 34. I don't think anybody will argue that Makar doesn't have the raw talent to do that, but that is not an easy task. 21 defensemen in the NHL were 30 or more. 38 were 26 or more. The highest rookies last year were Dahlin and Heiskanen at 24. If Makar gets 20, that is awesome. If he gets 20 and matches Barrie's 25 PP points, you have a 45 point season (assuming he doesn't get any SHP). The bar was set very high by people, if he gets remotely close to it, it will be a good rookie season.

I know people will point to Makar's pacing, 8 points in 9 games! Pacing doesn't equate to a full season, and a number of rookies start well and hit walls. Happens more so with college players too. Will Butcher was a PPG defensemen his first 12 games. Ended up with 44 points in his rookie season (mostly due to being great on the PP). Those were/are great numbers for a rookie defensemen, but a wall will come. Scouting and tape will catch up to him. When it does, Makar will have to counter. That will determine if his pacing will stick or not.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If you're on the advanced stats train, Cole's numbers are basically the best on the team while pulling the toughest minutes. Fun fact, the Avs haven't given up a 5v5 goal with Cole on the ice. Only 1 ES goal in his 5 games (Graves has only given up 2 5v5 and 3 ES).

Cole has played well, but he is far from getting the toughest minutes. He's 4th in even strength minutes. EJ and Girard are getting the toughest mathchups.

Cole's not even on the top PK unit. EJ and Graves are.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If you're on the advanced stats train, Cole's numbers are basically the best on the team while pulling the toughest minutes. Fun fact, the Avs haven't given up a 5v5 goal with Cole on the ice. Only 1 ES goal in his 5 games (Graves has only given up 2 5v5 and 3 ES).

Cole was maybe our best defender the first half of last year too. I think they burnt him out.

I'll be interested to see if the same thing happens, or if EJ and Girard can play well enough for long enough to keep Cole's minutes reasonable.

EJ and G didn't have a great first half last year obviously for different reasons. I was really hoping Cole would be in the bottom half of the defense this year, not the top half.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Yeah let's send down our .89 PPG rookie defenseman and replace him with Mark ****ing Barberio after starting the season 7-1-1.

Idiots.
Yeah we were all excited going into the new season with all our defensive young studs and how great our young d core was going to be. Now we want to ice our same defence as last year minus Barrie. That’s a recipe for disaster, we’re 7-1-1 for god sake.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
From Blues board:

Didn't need a Blues fan to tell us that but he was at the game so he saw more than us on TV.

I see a problem with both Makar and Girard having noticeable issues with heavy forechecking. I don't know how they'll fix it but I hope the coaching staff is working on it because other teams know what to do and they'll do it, especially in the playoffs.

He's just got to make quicker decisions and trust his reads. Which is easier said than done because he's a rookie and he's not used to the NHL pace. Especially the speed and tenacity of teams on the forecheck.

You have to play to your strengths. If you're a bigger defensive guy you can handle a physical forecheck, but chances are you aren't as good skating the puck out. If you're a guy like Makar or Girard you have to use your skating and elusivenss to your advantage and try to avoid the contact and leave them in the dust.

Girard will always have hiccups in a season because he has so little room for error at his size. He has to make his spin moves and passes work every time basically or he gets in trouble.

Makar though I think will be fine in physical games. He's plenty strong and strudy on his skates despite what some said about him in his draft year. He's just adjusting to the NHL like any other rookie.

Unlike normal rookies though, Makar is being played in a big role, and has high expectations, without the luxury of surprising the opposition after his impressive playoff run last year. They're all targeting him heavily on the forecheck and not giving him any time and space on the breakout.

Opposing teams are playing him like a #1D that a team relies on for it's success. Which is a good learning experience for him, because that's what he'll be in a year or two.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Glad to hear they moved Makar to play with Cole. That's a much better partner for him. Doesn't have to worry if Zadorov will be in the right spots any more. Because Cole will be be in the right spots defensively. Now he can focus solely on his game.

I think Zadorov can be a good partner for him once Cale gets more comfortable in the D zone in the NHL. Cale isn't as "risky" as he's made out to be. He's very calculated in when he wants to be aggressive, and has the skating to get back in position in most situations.

Right now though, Cole is a better partner for him. If he continues playing the way he has been, he'll be able to support him a lot on the ice, so when he gets in trouble Cole will be there to contain the damage.

Cole is also very vocal on the ice, so he can help him know what to do and where to go. He can also be that mentor type on the bench and in the room.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I still think they need to reunite Turn and Burn. Put Z with EJ.

Cole right now is still way too slow and too prone to taking bad penalties.

I think they need to wait till Cale is more comfortable in his coverage to reunite them. He needs a 'keep it simple' partner to handle the coverage below the goal line and in front of the net.

G isn't terrible at it because he's so smart and has such a good stick, but he's limited in how good he can be consistently because of his size limitations. If he gets the wrong matchup, or isn't 100% on his game, he can get in trouble.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Cole will be a great partner. Cale needs someone steady to play with so he can have a longer leash to do his thing. Outside of a few flashes or shifts Makar hasn't been playing HIS game at all.

Reactions: avsfan09

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
To put in to perspective just how new Makar is to the NHL schedule.

"I don't do much in my off time. I like golfing, but I don't know if you can even do that during the season."

3 weeks into seeing what the NHL life is all about.

Reactions: avsfan09

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Makar is good. He just needs to get better a bit defensively but he's really not bad, it's not bad enough to be sent down. His shot though... It's absolute trash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad