Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part II: #OrrIsTheFloor Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
When you just look at pure stats, you'd be crazy to not have Makar as the Calder winner right now. When you watch the games, you'd currently see the two best rookies in the league are Olofsson and Q. Hughes. Olofsson legit has a top 10 level shot and once he clicks with the pace is going to really take off (35g shouldn't be out of the question). Q Hughes looks every bit as advertised. I don't think he puts up 50 points in Vancouver, but he's going to be their #1D by the end of the season.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I like this. Makar right now is just a dude on the first PP. Even if he puts up lower numbers on the 2nd PP, he'll get to more responsibilities and make more decisions, which will:

1. Improve our 2nd PP
2. Improve his offensive game/confidence
Goes back to what I was saying about 4 games in. Its kinda hard to do your thing on the PP unit when to your left you have a top 5 Centre in all the world and on the right side you have one of the best Wingers in hockey. Being on the second PP hopefully will cause Cale to think less and just let his instincts take over.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Goes back to what I was saying about 4 games in. Its kinda hard to do your thing on the PP unit when to your left you have a top 5 Centre in all the world and on the right side you have one of the best Wingers in hockey. Being on the second PP hopefully will cause Cale to think less and just let his instincts take over.

Yup. He's the type of dmen that can create offense by himself with his elite+ skating and creativity.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I hope that continues and wasn't just a mid game frustration move from Bednar.

The AHL is a developmental league and the point is to improve them, but what Makar is struggling with won't be helped by playing in the AHL. He's having trouble adapting to the speed of the NHL, the spacing, and the talent level. The AHL is a pretty fast league itself, so he could probably get used to it 90% in the AHL, but the spacing and talent adjustment, he's not going to learn a thing in the AHL there. If Makar was getting 10 minutes a night with no PP duty here because of depth, then you'd send him to the AHL so he gets some ice time and can learn those duties as a professional on the fly. But he's not, he's being gifted good minutes and responsibilities. It is going to be up and down, but he needs to take his lumps in the NHL. Now a player like Timmins who hasn't played hockey in a year and isn't likely to have any PP role but has that upside, needs to be in a league where he can work on that. He can get mostly used to the speed and should draw in on the PP and PK in the AHL. Hopefully he is pushing his way back on the roster to finish the season.

The AHL as a developmental league is also a bit overrated when it comes to impact players. It is for your depth in your bottom 6 and pairing for skaters. A transition year or maybe two is all that should ever been needed. If a player needs longer than that, they either started a bit young, in a deep organization, or they are not going an impact player. IMO if a forward started in the AHL at 20, and they are not out of the AHL in a year/year and a half, the odds of them being top 6 becomes pretty low. It certainly happens, but forwards shouldn't spend a ton of time in the AHL. Defensemen should get a bit longer leash as there are only so many spots available sometimes... but even then they shouldn't be starting a 3rd season in the AHL.

I learn a lot from reading your posts Hench. Thanks.

Reactions: MacBradley

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Guarantee you that if he kept collecting assists on PP1 he'd win the Calder regardless of the rest of his game. 60 pts for a rookie dman? He'd not even be close.
My point is that the demotion should be temporary, unless Girard knocks it out of the park and Makar continues to struggle. He’s not deserving of PP1 and would not get 60pts if he keeps playing like he is right now, PP1 or not.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Makar could put up 80 points and people would still complain. He's a 20 year old rookie...he's usually not gonna look great when given a big role.

A key difference between elite players and others is they manage to produce even when they aren't looking great. I can't wait til he looks great...and see how much he can produce at that point.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
True. Some people forget just how god awful Barrie was at this when he was younger lol. Barrie improved his shot and accuracy alot over the years and Makar will aswell.
I think people just underestimate how incredibly hard this league is. The thing that is encouraging with Makar is despite struggling a bit with the shot and some of his dzone coverages is he is still finding ways to factor onto the score sheet. Often times when young players are struggling with some aspect if the game they are pretty worthless all around. But Makar is still getting points and helping the team that way.

He'll figure it out. It just takes more than 9 games plus some playoffs games. With how coachable he is said to be, I wouldn't be shocked if it was sooner than later.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Well he is a defensive liability who has consistent effort issues. Not surprised to hear Babcock is reeling him in.

Barrie's offense is wonderful. But I do not miss the lackadaisical floating and constantly being outworked and out muscled in the defensive end.

It's Barrie's offense and Babcock's mishandling of it I'm comparing with Bednar in his first season. Barrie's fantastic with the puck on his stick, but Babcock's not letting him use those abilities like he should.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
FTR I don't think it's "out of bounds" to suggest Cale be sent down. Lots of star defenders cut their teeth in the minors before they finally began their NHL careers in earnest. It comes down to where the best place is for his development. I think that's still at the NHL level, partially because he's still playing well despite some early struggles in some areas, and that I simply don't trust what's going on with the Eagles at present.

Reactions: cgf

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
FTR I don't think it's "out of bounds" to suggest Cale be sent down. Lots of star defenders cut their teeth in the minors before they finally began their NHL careers in earnest. It comes down to where the best place is for his development. I think that's still at the NHL level, partially because he's still playing well despite some early struggles in some areas, and that I simply don't trust what's going on with the Eagles at present.

How can he adjust to NHL speed and forecheck in the AHL? It's an adjustment thing, not a development thing.

Reactions: MacBradley

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How can he adjusts to NHL speed and forecheck in the AHL? It's an adjustment thing, not a development thing.

Simply put... if that adjustment isn't coming and he needs to figure it out on a different level first because it is stunting other parts. People are way too uptight about these issues. Let it play out and see.

Reactions: cgf and missionAvs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
From Blues board:

2Fu2YHA.png

Didn't need a Blues fan to tell us that but he was at the game so he saw more than us on TV.

I see a problem with both Makar and Girard having noticeable issues with heavy forechecking. I don't know how they'll fix it but I hope the coaching staff is working on it because other teams know what to do and they'll do it, especially in the playoffs.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Makar was so good in the pre season and in the playoffs. I don't know what's up with him this season. He's been our worst player, regardless of his knack for racking up 2nd assists.

He has all the tent in the world, but he seems to be playing without confidence. I've never seen a player bumbled the puck, whiff on passes and just fall down so much. I think watching a game or two from the press box might be good for him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
My goodness I give up, back on the he needs to be sent down garbage. I feel like people simply aren't watching the same games as me. He was easily the 3rd best dman last night. Cole was miserable and took a penalty trying to play a puck from his own bench, which led to a goal. Graves was mediocre. And Zadorov was meh.

Not sure what people are expecting from him. He's all of 9 games into his career and 6 of them he has played fine in.

We've played 9 games of which 8 have been against legit playoff/cup contenders. 5 in a row on the road where the other coach can create tough assignments for Makar. Fact is he was fine the first 4 games at home when we could feed him more advantageous matchups, it's been tougher on the road for him. But that's too be expected for a kid 9 games into his career. It also doesn't help that he is tied to Zadorov who is all over the place to begin with. Playing with a partner that already struggles with consistency issues isn't what a kid trying to figure out the NHL needs. He needs a more consistent playing partner, maybe Cole is the better option as he is more consistent in his own end than Zadorov.

Let's give it half a season, and see where he's at, if he is in way over his head maybe a minors stint at that point. But for now he's going to be here and it's on the coaches to help him and develop him.

Last edited:

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
"Points are all that matter when evaluating the play of a defenseman."

That's what I hear when you say things like this.
All i hear is "let's demote our star rookie d-man after he's producing point per game numbers after the first 9 games. Who cares about his confidence"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad