Cale Makar Calder Favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
At this point, yes. #1 D on a playoff bound team, and scoring almost PPG.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Why the hell wouldn't he defer to one of the best players in the league. I love Makar and believe he's one of the best up and coming defensemen in the league but if he wins the calder based on points they might as well engrave 'assisted by Nathan MacKinnon' on the trophy and honestly there's nothing wrong with that.

He's been shooting a lot more and starting to move his feet in the offensive zone since Bednar momentarily dropped him to PP2 to get him away from MacKinnon and force him to create on his own. I think that was good for him. Sakic picked a fantastic coach for our developing star players.

I seriously can't wait next year for Byram, Avs defense is going to be so fun to watch going forward.
Byram isn't playing for the Avs next year. He's still very raw.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Yes, it will.

Makar plays D. Recent Calder winners have put up 60+ points. That’s around top 5 in the entire NHL in D scoring. If one of the rookie D’s pulls that off, I don’t see how it isn’t going to be a landslide for them, unless of course, they both do it and split the vote.
Jinx threads aren't real. Neither is Santa Claus or Jesus. You're welcome...

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
At this point, yes. #1 D on a playoff bound team, and scoring almost PPG.
He's definitely not the Avs #1 defenceman. He's very raw still, which is frightening. Sometimes he looks like a rookie defenceman, and other times he looks like MacKinnon skating the puck up the ice. He is kind of a mixed bag so far, but he is consistently producing. I don't know what to expect out of him points wise, but it would be amazing to see him start controlling the game on a shift to shift basis.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jinx threads aren't real. Neither is Santa Claus or Jesus. You're welcome...

819B95D0-DF11-4E75-BE65-31E014B7CB55.gif

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Dark horse candidate is Adam Fox that no one is currently talking about outside of New York. Just joined the Rangers top power play, playing 20 minutes a game , 2 goals and 3 assists in past 7 games and reportedly playing excellent defence too.

Makar should win if healthy but Fox could emerge to be top 3. Hughes looks great so far for Vancouver but I don't think as strong defensively as Makar or Fox. Would be cool to see 3 dmen as finalists for the Calder.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I was actually pretty critical of Cales play earlier this season.

It's a complete 180 from the first 5 games right now though. The dude is looking more and more like the Defense version of Mackinnon every night. He just controls the game when he's on the ice.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Why the hell wouldn't he defer to one of the best players in the league. I love Makar and believe he's one of the best up and coming defensemen in the league but if he wins the calder based on points they might as well engrave 'assisted by Nathan MacKinnon' on the trophy and honestly there's nothing wrong with that.

He's been shooting a lot more and starting to move his feet in the offensive zone since Bednar momentarily dropped him to PP2 to get him away from MacKinnon and force him to create on his own. I think that was good for him. Sakic picked a fantastic coach for our developing star players.

I seriously can't wait next year for Byram, Avs defense is going to be so fun to watch going forward.
Because it's really predictable especially on the PP. Teams will just overplay MacKinnon on the left side if they know Makar won't shoot, this is especially true without Rantanen on the right side.

Reactions: MacBradley

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
It’s a 2 horse race between Q Hughes and Makar. J Hughes quickly coming up from behind in 3rd. Makar is not yet the favourite.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Because it's really predictable especially on the PP. Teams will just overplay MacKinnon on the left side if they know Makar won't shoot, this is especially true without Rantanen on the right side.

I think with Makar shooting more now it's getting better, especially when Rantanen comes back. Those first few weeks Makar refused to shoot hardly at all, now he's shooting pretty consistently.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ive seen an extra gear in Makar that he didnt have in university.
I thought Hughes was the better skater in the NCAA

But Makar talked about training at Magness arena this off-season with the Pioneer crew with Bozak and Stastny etc, and he took part in Andy O'brien's camp in Vail colorado with Mackinnon and Crosby for two weeks. Even he talked about reaching another level this off-season.

Now I would give him the edge in skating for sure.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If Cale Makar doesn't win the Calder it won't be because "Monsters" posted an hfboards thread in November.

To OP, I think it's probably Makar's to lose. As a Carolina fan, if Necas catches fire I could see him having a shot. But I don't think he'll put up the point totals to warrant serious consideration, especially if Cale puts up 50+.

I agree that he is the frontrunner right now but it's a long season.

Also to the OP, yes he will hit close to 60 points.

Reactions: MacBradley

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The only way he doesnt win if he gets hurt in my opinion. Quinn Hughes is also incredible but the stuff that Makar is doing is honestly nuts to watch.

His agility, creativity and puck poise for a player playing his what 20th NHL game? Is honestly nothing I have ever seen from a defenseman in my life. He is where Karlsson was 100 games into his career already.

Bear is up there in terms of pure impact, but he won't come near the Calder because of his point totals.

If you can actually watch a game without being biased he isnt close to the impact Makar is having on a game. I have no dog in this fight, but its quite clear if you are watching he is on another level.

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
Calder?!

Cale Makar belongs in the AHL...

...according to some expert posters on the Avs forum. And they're not joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad