GDT: Calder Cup Finals Game 3 | Syracuse Crunch @ Grand Rapids Griffins | June 12 | 7:00

7r4n

Catsyuk has Dangles
Apr 19, 2012
Thanks for the link Dolph. Looked like a fun game, I wish I could have watched it :)

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
Also, "The Crunch" is a stupid name for a team.

Can we just abolish all non-plural sports team names, please? They're ridiculous.

quite agree, but a million times better than the Connecticut Whale. i mean seriously...

solid match last night without being outstanding. hopefully they wrap thing one up at home without any drama. sure it ain't the Stanley Cup, but some silverware for the baby Wings would be cool.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
Panik's was a good shot, but basically came after a huge check left Almqvist crumpled in the corner, so the defense was stretched and not in position.

The second one was just a seeing eye kind of deal found a hole, not much you could do if you were Mrazek. They are shooting pretty much exclusively to his blocker to try and beat him now it seems.

The Crunch really are just trying to create traffic in front of Mrazek and get dirty goals. That 2nd goal they scored was just that. I think it was deflected as well by a Griffin player.

Despite being up 3-0 in the series, I think both of these teams are closer in terms of talent than we like to think. The Griffins and Crunch really do take turns dominating in the game. The big difference is finishing on those chances. The Griffins had probably 4-5 more prime scoring chances than the Crunch did. That game could have been blown wide open if it wasn't for the play of their goalie.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The Crunch really are just trying to create traffic in front of Mrazek and get dirty goals. That 2nd goal they scored was just that. I think it was deflected as well by a Griffin player.

Despite being up 3-0 in the series, I think both of these teams are closer in terms of talent than we like to think. The Griffins and Crunch really do take turns dominating in the game. The big difference is finishing on those chances. The Griffins had probably 4-5 more prime scoring chances than the Crunch did. That game could have been blown wide open if it wasn't for the play of their goalie.

The biggest difference is goaltending. Griffins have an elite guy and Crunch have an average guy.

Save percentage at Finals:
Mrazek 84/91 = 0.923
Desjardins 66/78 = 0.846

Mrazek has saved 2x better so far. (1.000 - 0.923 = 0.077 = Crunch shoting percentage, 1.000 - 0.846 = 0.154 = Griffins shooting percentage) 2x 0.077 = 0.154

When you think about the goals, what goes behind Mrazek? Almost all the time only a lucky bounce or screened top corner shot. He takes everything he sees. Desjardins is giving "normal" goals for Griffins and that's bad goaltending, not acceptable if you are playing for the championship. Mrazek is doing the same at AHL-level than Tuukka Rask is doing at NHL-level at the moment.

Last edited:

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
The biggest difference is goaltending. Griffins have an elite guy and Crunch have an average guy.

Save percentage at Finals:
Mrazek 84/91 = 0.923
Desjardins 66/78 = 0.846

Mrazek has saved 2x better so far. (1.000 - 0.923 = 0.077 = Crunch shoting percentage, 1.000 - 0.846 = 0.154 = Griffins shooting percentage) 2x 0.077 = 0.154

When you think about the goals, what goes behind Mrazek? Almost all the time only a lucky bounce or screened top corner shot. He takes everything he sees. Desjardins is giving "normal" goals for Griffins and that's bad goaltending, not acceptable if you are playing for the championship. Mrazek is doing the same at AHL-level than Tuukka Rask is doing at NHL-level at the moment.

You are correct. In the finals, Mrazek has elevated his game. In the previous rounds, Desjardins had the better save percentage though. The Crunch went 11-1 en route to the finals. So its either the team is out of gas or the Griffins are just playing THAT good. Maybe its a bit of both.

I really didn't think that the Griffins were going to win this series at the start. At first I was just hoping for a split in Syracuse. Now its looking like a sweep.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Don't view either of those guys as prospects anymore. Hard to see who is going to be out in front of him.

Holtby, Bernier, Markstrom might be prospects on this site, doubt it on a couple of those guys, but they really aren't in terms of how the rest of the NHL would view them. Of guys not already in NHL backup roles hard to see who is in front of him.

John Gibson maybe? He needs pro hockey to pass him in my opinion, but sure people will still rank him in front of him and his World Championship performance will be talked about a lot.

Lehner
Allen
Läck
Vasilevski
Janus

possibly likes of Svedberg, Andersen, Gustafsson

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Any update on Almqvist?

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2013/06/griffins_defenseman_adam_almqu.html

Grand Rapids Griffins defenseman Adam Almquist did not practice Thursday

The possible loss of Almquist would likely mean Brett Skinner would be activated. Skinner played regularly (0-6-6 in 18 games) up until the Syracuse series when Danny DeKeyser was activated following a broken thumb.

His injury is undisclosed, but he appeared to hit his head on the boards.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Lehner
Allen
Läck
Vasilevski
Janus

possibly likes of Svedberg, Andersen, Gustafsson

Allen I could see, going to say no to the next two, but I am sure Vasilevski will have a higher profile, I disagree but whatever.

Janus crashed out of the AHL, had a great season in the KHL, then got torched in two games at the WC. Don't view him over Mrazek, honestly don't know how anybody could. Wish both those Tampa guys were over, then he would be beating them head to head.

Despite everyone dumping on the Crunch's goalie he has a plethora of saves he really shouldn't be counted on to make in this series. Sure that is part of being a goalie, but his problem stems from the traffic and quality scoring chances the Griffins are creating. He is playing far better than Denis did last series.

Petr also plays bigger in big moments, you're seeing that with each progressive round of the playoffs. After a mid-season swoon he has really stepped up his game and it has gotten better and is gaining a lot of steam.

The AHL championship is a part of what launched Lehner so high up the list, Mrazek is likely to enjoy a huge bump if this team wins.

I expect Tatar to get the Jack Butterfield Trophy, but an argument could be made for Mrazek, though his numbers are not of Lehner's pace. But yes Lehner would be in front of him of course he is also done with the AHL at this point.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Okay so they are blaming it on the contact with the boards, was curious with it appearing to be a high hit at speed if Panik could be in trouble as far as discipline. Shame for Adam has played well all year, has been on the top pairing most of the playoffs. He and Paetsch have been a great partnership. Guessing DeKeyser bumps up to his role, Skinner and Lashoff were playing together before.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Janus crashed out of the AHL, had a great season in the KHL, then got torched in two games at the WC. Don't view him over Mrazek, honestly don't know how anybody could. Wish both those Tampa guys were over, then he would be beating them head to head.

What do you mean with crashed out?

He wasn't getting shot at NHL so went to second best league instead and played awesome. That performance puts him over Mrazek imo. Janus had similar numbers last year with Norfolk as Mrazek has this year. I value consistency with goalies so Mrazek needs to prove his worth for more than one AHL season. No doubt, he has the talent for it and I think he's up to it.

Vasilevski has all the talent in the world. Mrazek is maybe better now, hard to compare. But for what Vasilevski has showed, I'd pick him ahead of Mrazek.

I think Läck struggled with injuries this past season but had two great seasons before that and though I didn't see him play, his numbers give him the edge over Mrazek.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What do you mean with crashed out?

He wasn't getting shot at NHL so went to second best league instead and played awesome. That performance puts him over Mrazek imo. Janus had similar numbers last year with Norfolk as Mrazek has this year. I value consistency with goalies so Mrazek needs to prove his worth for more than one AHL season. No doubt, he has the talent for it and I think he's up to it.

Vasilevski has all the talent in the world. Mrazek is maybe better now, hard to compare. But for what Vasilevski has showed, I'd pick him ahead of Mrazek.

I think Läck struggled with injuries this past season but had two great seasons before that and though I didn't see him play, his numbers give him the edge over Mrazek.

Janus' numbers aren't that great in North America.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11876

Tokarski was the goalie that won them the Calder last year. Mrazek had a better initial pro season.

Everyone has their own opinion, Janus got lit up in his World Championship starts and two starts in the KHL playoffs. He was impressive in his four Calder cup games last year, but was kind of a mixed bag in terms of consistency during his three partial runs as a pro on this side of the pond. Some of that is the system he was in, but that remains a hurdle going forward until the Lightning trade his rights. Janus also wasn't very impressive in the OHL although that is kind of like Paterson in Saginaw, he had little help. But Mrazek did more with about an equally terrible team in Ottawa and has already wrestled away a pro job in North America and is playing a vital role in a deep post-season run.

I have said it before and I know a lot of people will disagree but the AHL is a heck of a lot closer to the KHL than the KHL is to the NHL.

Oct 18, 2006
Man that sucks for Almquist. Been very good all year, exceeded expectations, and he's going to miss the potential Cup winning game. Poor kid. I hope he's not concussed and missed a chuck off the off season.

Good for Skinner though, didn't really deserve to sit, now he returns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad