GDT: Calder Cup Finals Game 3 | Syracuse Crunch @ Grand Rapids Griffins | June 12 | 7:00

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Nyquist still snakebitten but doesn't matter they still score in bunches. Mursak is having a field day against their weaker defenders.

Detroit Sports*

Mrazek is going to make the Wings trade him. No way he lives in Howards shadow for 6 years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Another great win by the baby Wings. Crunch still have not figured out how to slow them in transition seemed to do it for a little bit in the second, but anytime they open up the Griffins rip through the neutral zone. That team sorely needs Gudas, but even then this just seems like a tough matchup for them and the clear goalie advantage will be tough to overcome four straight.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
We'll see a Howard-trade on some day. But not for a long long time.

We'll see that trade thread someday for sure. I just don't see the Wings trading Jimmy. It's not like I want to trade Peter Peter Puck Eater, but If we could trade him now as a MAJOR asset to acquire a player to win NOW. I'm all for it. I'll be very interested to see where Mrazek is ranked prospect wise going into next year? How many other goalie prospects will be ranked above him? I know Bernier, Markstrom... But who else?

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Mrazek or Howard?

3qvcen.jpg

Think of it as Thomas and Rask a couple years ago. Wouldn't that be something?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
We'll see that trade thread someday for sure. I just don't see the Wings trading Jimmy. It's not like I want to trade Peter Peter Puck Eater, but If we could trade him now as a MAJOR asset to acquire a player to win NOW. I'm all for it. I'll be very interested to see where Mrazek is ranked prospect wise going into next year? How many other goalie prospects will be ranked above him? I know Bernier, Markstrom... But who else?

The Goalie guild rankings(that are heavily based on NHL readiness) has him at 9th spot right now. I'm thinking he moves up a couple of spots after these playoffs are over.

Tbh, I think Kenny only gave Jimmy two full NMC years for a reason. With goalies things can change in a hurry. If Mrazek backs this season up with another similar one(hopefully even better) he's gonna be seen as one of the best goalie prospects out there. At that point you have several options, but the obvious one would be to replace Gus as the backup and take things from there. They're not getting rid of Howard until Mrazek is equally good or better than him, that's for sure.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Don't view either of those guys as prospects anymore. Hard to see who is going to be out in front of him.

Holtby, Bernier, Markstrom might be prospects on this site, doubt it on a couple of those guys, but they really aren't in terms of how the rest of the NHL would view them. Of guys not already in NHL backup roles hard to see who is in front of him.

John Gibson maybe? He needs pro hockey to pass him in my opinion, but sure people will still rank him in front of him and his World Championship performance will be talked about a lot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Goalie guild rankings(that are heavily based on NHL readiness) has him at 9th spot right now. I'm thinking he moves up a couple of spots after these playoffs are over.

Tbh, I think Kenny only gave Jimmy two full NMC years for a reason. With goalies things can change in a hurry. If Mrazek backs this season up with another similar one(hopefully even better) he's gonna be seen as one of the best goalie prospects out there. At that point you have several options, but the obvious one would be to replace Gus as the backup and take things from there. They're not getting rid of Howard until Mrazek is equally good or better than him, that's for sure.

I honestly think he will be the better for it. He should put in one more year in GR and a couple backup seasons before we really start talking about this seriously.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I honestly think he will be the better for it. He should put in one more year in GR and a couple backup seasons before we really start talking about this seriously.

Agreed. You take away the risk of throwing a kid to the wolves and it makes far too much sense in the cap world. If he outclasses Howard that's one thing, you play the better guy, but otherwise take the patient approach and enjoy having two good goalies.

7r4n

Catsyuk has Dangles
Apr 19, 2012
Can someone give me a little recap on how we played tonight? Unfortunately I was studying for a slew of exams I have coming up. Reading some posts I am under the impression that we played poorly but squeaked out a win somehow. Again, I don't know anyone care to indulge me?

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
Can someone give me a little recap on how we played tonight? Unfortunately I was studying for a slew of exams I have coming up. Reading some posts I am under the impression that we played poorly but squeaked out a win somehow. Again, I don't know anyone care to indulge me?

I was at the game and I thought the game was a good one. The Griffins didn't play well in spurts, but the same with the Crunch. These two teams really are even at their best, but tonight was not their best game for either team.

Both teams had great chances to score, but just couldn't capitalize. Each team had 2 breakaways. The Crunch tried to put a lot of traffic in front of Mrazek while we did the same to the opposing goalie.

I wouldn't say that we played bad but eeked out a win. At one point in the third period, shots were tied at 24 and it was a 2-2 game. If that isn't parity in the game, I don't know what is.

I already have my tickets for Friday and Saturday (just in case). Friday is sold out already. Should be a great crowd and a great game.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Would not say that at all. The Griffins played the game they wanted to, open up the neutral zone and fly through it. Good zone time and pressure along with three breakaways. The Crunch might be getting some good zone time and shots, but the outright scoring chances have probably favored the Griffins in this series and the glorious chances certainly have. Tonight was more of he same, the Crunch continue to think they can play at the same pace as the Griffins and it has them down to the tune of 0-3.

One of their goals came with Almqvist down in the corner, so really just one goal in the natural run of play, on a fluky shot from the point. The Griffins are outplaying them and that continued tonight. The Crunch are playing the game the Griffins want them to, so just looking at the shot totals doesn't really tell the story. Actually thought the Crunch's second period was their best of the series after the first two Griffins goals, for the next 10 to 15 minutes they clogged the neutral zone and played with more patience. They got away from it and paid.

7r4n

Catsyuk has Dangles
Apr 19, 2012
How were the goals by the Crunch? Mrazek playing solid or what? Thanks for the response btw guys.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How were the goals by the Crunch? Mrazek playing solid or what? Thanks for the response btw guys.

Panik's was a good shot, but basically came after a huge check left Almqvist crumpled in the corner, so the defense was stretched and not in position.

The second one was just a seeing eye kind of deal found a hole, not much you could do if you were Mrazek. They are shooting pretty much exclusively to his blocker to try and beat him now it seems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad