Proposal: Cal - Tor

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Toronto fans not going to like this one bit
i'm a Leafs fan, i just dont like Hyman, and would like to unload him at his peak.

i personally think he just slows down the game for whichever line he is on, though, he works hard, it rarely amounts to much. if he was on the 3rd line, i'd love him, but, he's still going to get overpaid.

Kerfoot on the other hand gets tons of hate, but, he would compliment either top line way more than Hyman as he can actually make a decent pass (at the right time) and make plays, not just dump the puck into the corner and then try to regain possession of it, while Matthews is open all day long waiting for a pass that never comes, and then he's forced to cycle out of a goal scoring spot over and over again.

Reactions: SensFactor

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I would not be surprised if Hyman signed long term at a very friendly cap hit. His family are very rich and live in the GTA. He has in the past made it known he only wanted to play in Toronto. The market itself has been very good for his other interests such as writing children's books.

On top of this, even if the assumption is that Hyman did want a raise, he is still worth more than a player who was scratched this year.

if he resigns at the same hit, i'd keep him... but 3.5~4+ no way!! and i cannot see him command less than 3.5
i actually think we got the NJD Anderson as a long term Hyman replacement (similar in style) or a Hyman clone

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I think you could have a fair debate about which player is better, but Hyman makes the leafs better than Bennett would, so polite pass

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think you could have a fair debate about which player is better, but Hyman makes the leafs better than Bennett would, so polite pass
Hyman put up almost twice as many goals as Bennett had points last year.... 21 goals in 51 games vs 12 points in 52 games. I dont think there is really much of a debate as Hyman has out produced Bennett consistently against much higher QoC and Hyman gets 0 PP time (i imagine Bennett is the same). Obviously Hyman gets to play with better players but that is also because he compliments them and has worked his ass off to move up the lineup.

Reactions: YP44

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
i dont think its much of a debate actually Hyman is 'better' ...but, i dont think the Leafs can afford him next year.

its nice to talk about a home team discount, but, it never really happens, and honestly, why should it? players earn their contracts.
He is not like Spezza playing out his childhood dream in his twilight years, he is in his prime, and someone will offer a truckload of cash if only to steal him from the leafs.

only reason i even tossed Bennett in there is because there has been talk about him being a desirable asset to the Leafs is possible, and, he could fill the 3rd line C role, and let Kerfoot slide over to wing on one of the top 2 lines.

to keep Hyman beyond this season Kerfoot has to likely go (or Anderson) and Kerfoot has really impressed me this season.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
i dont think its much of a debate actually Hyman is 'better' ...but, i dont think the Leafs can afford him next year.

its nice to talk about a home team discount, but, it never really happens, and honestly, why should it? players earn their contracts.
He is not like Spezza playing out his childhood dream in his twilight years, he is in his prime, and someone will offer a truckload of cash if only to steal him from the leafs.

only reason i even tossed Bennett in there is because there has been talk about him being a desirable asset to the Leafs is possible, and, he could fill the 3rd line C role, and let Kerfoot slide over to wing on one of the top 2 lines.

to keep Hyman beyond this season Kerfoot has to likely go (or Anderson) and Kerfoot has really impressed me this season.
I think trading good players on the assumption they will be too expensive isn't exactly fair when there are other factors to consider. Not only does Hyman come from money, but his father and himself have also made it so he plays in Toronto his entire career sans a 4-year stint in college. We can speculate all we want on Hyman's next contract BUT the fact remains there is a decent possibility that he would take a pay cut from what we know. I think it's a bit silly to move on from him. Especially considering the Leafs have been spending assets to get better and try to get further in the playoffs the last few years not the reverse.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hyman put up almost twice as many goals as Bennett had points last year.... 21 goals in 51 games vs 12 points in 52 games. I dont think there is really much of a debate as Hyman has out produced Bennett consistently against much higher QoC and Hyman gets 0 PP time (i imagine Bennett is the same). Obviously Hyman gets to play with better players but that is also because he compliments them and has worked his ass off to move up the lineup.

I mean, Bennett has also worked his ass off to finally get in the top 6, but I get your point. I think Sam definitely could thrive in Hyman’s spot if given a chance, but I don’t see this deal happening. I see Bennett signing with Toronto when he’s eventually a UFA.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I mean, Bennett has also worked his ass off to finally get in the top 6, but I get your point. I think Sam definitely could thrive in Hyman’s spot if given a chance, but I don’t see this deal happening. I see Bennett signing with Toronto when he’s eventually a UFA.
Ya that is understandable. I.e. you play with better players you generally put up more points. However it isn't a guarante and you need to complement them/understand your role.

Would be interesting to see Bennett more as I haven't watched him live since he was with the Fronts

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This move would be ill advised. Hyman is a pending FA which suits us with expansion coming, I like Bennet but not at the cost of such an important player.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Toronto shouldn't be trading a player like Hyman. They should be looking to adding another player like him.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Hyman > Bennett is clear, but the Leafs would just re-sign Hyman in the summer, so is a Hyman rental worth Bennett? That's tempting and about fair, but Bennett is the playoffs is fire, so he's a good rental too

MattyNew91

Jul 5, 2018
Full disclaimer, I have never been a huge fan of Hyman, regardless of his work ethic, and relentless puck pursuit (or the back to back 20 G's, since Connor Brown scored 20 in a lesser role with Tor)

to Cal
Hyman

to Tor
Bennett (retain 300k to make it an even cap move)

You smoke the good stuff eh?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
i'm a Leafs fan, i just dont like Hyman, and would like to unload him at his peak.

i personally think he just slows down the game for whichever line he is on, though, he works hard, it rarely amounts to much. if he was on the 3rd line, i'd love him, but, he's still going to get overpaid.

Kerfoot on the other hand gets tons of hate, but, he would compliment either top line way more than Hyman as he can actually make a decent pass (at the right time) and make plays, not just dump the puck into the corner and then try to regain possession of it, while Matthews is open all day long waiting for a pass that never comes, and then he's forced to cycle out of a goal scoring spot over and over again.
why is he going to get overpaid? his family has money. he didnt want to sign with anyone but toronto coming into the league and he is an author outside of hockey. i dont see him getting overpaid. i would go as far as saying he might take a discount to stay in toronto.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Hyman returns more than Bennett. Bennett is currently in the Mikheyev/Engvall range. Maybe Kerfoot.

Hyman is a “core” supporting player, regardless of his talent level. He is consistently a strong complimentary player, while Bennett has had flashes of potential and elevated play in the playoffs.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
wait..no plus?

Hyman the last few years has been more productive than Bennett has ever been and its just a straight up?

lol, leafs pass. Hyman has 25g/48pts in 70 games the last 2 seasons.
Bennett only has 24g/43pts in 143 games the last 3 seasons

Bennett gets you engvall and a pick, not hyman

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Bennett + Kylington would be closer. Calgary doesn't need more left wingers though.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Hyman is seriously under-rated. He’s a very important player for the Leafs.

Meanwhile Bennett is fighting for his career. He’s a fringe NHLer at the moment. There’s no way he’s worth Hyman.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think Hyman carries significantly more value than that. Bennett has done nothing this season to suggest he should be returning a player better and more productive than he is.

Reactions: deleted user

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad