Proposal: Cal - Tor

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Full disclaimer, I have never been a huge fan of Hyman, regardless of his work ethic, and relentless puck pursuit (or the back to back 20 G's, since Connor Brown scored 20 in a lesser role with Tor)

to Cal
Hyman

to Tor
Bennett (retain 300k to make it an even cap move)

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
i should have added a tiny bit more ...Hyman needs a new contract with a TBD raise, Anderson is also a UFA ...leafs are cash strapped, and have Reilly up next year, so cant burn $$ unless they plan to trade Reilly, or another 'key' player to make cap space. If it comes down to give Anderson Hyman's $$, Hyman is gone anyways, unless Anderson isnt in the future plans.

I'd be exposing him in the draft, and possibly letting him walk depending on his ask to resign.

Bennett at least can be semi-controlled for longer and can be used in a similar role.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Hyman will probably play in toronto for life. Refused to sign with Florida and would only be traded to Toronto. Don't see him wanting to sign anywhere else and seems like the guy to take a hometown discount. Especially considering his family is already very wealthy

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Hyman is at the absolute peak of his career, right now, in an ideal situation for him. He will never find this sort of success playing anywhere else. I have zero interest in overpaying him and even with the Leafs ability to dispatch him the way they do, I'd be hesitant.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think Hyman is the guy of the non-core ilk that will be a fixture with Toronto, the rest (JVR, Bozak, Kadri, Brown, Kapanen, Johnsson, Mikheyev, Kerfoot, etc) will probably be a revolving door that move out when its time for them to get paid. The one thing Dubas hasn't done well to this point is that he overpaid the core kids so he'll have to make that up elsewhere, which he has shown a pretty serious aptitude for to this point.

but ya, if Hyman is being traded, this isn't what I'm looking for in return

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd do that and I value Bennett higher than most. Of course I also value Hyman higher than most.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
i should have added a tiny bit more ...Hyman needs a new contract with a TBD raise, Anderson is also a UFA ...leafs are cash strapped, and have Reilly up next year, so cant burn $$ unless they plan to trade Reilly, or another 'key' player to make cap space. If it comes down to give Anderson Hyman's $$, Hyman is gone anyways, unless Anderson isnt in the future plans.

I'd be exposing him in the draft, and possibly letting him walk depending on his ask to resign.

Bennett at least can be semi-controlled for longer and can be used in a similar role.

but Bennett has to be qualified at a pretty high dollar amount

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Not even remotely interested. Zach Hyman is an all situations top6 winger. Long gone are the days that he was the stone hands schmuck holding Matthews back, he's grown into a tremendous player. He's unstoppable on the boards, effective in front of the net, and excellent defensively. He scores goals, makes plays, and works his ass off every night.

Hyman will be a Leaf for a very long time, I think the list of players we'd trade in order to keep Hyman would have some surprising names on it.

Sam Bennett, occasional healthy scratch, guy who can only score goals in the playoffs apparently, does not even begin to get the conversation started for Hyman. I am sure that there are teams who are tantalized by what potential he has left, maybe even the Leafs are interested. But a player of Hyman's quality will not be involved in that trade.

Reactions: axlrose87

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
This doesn't make sense for either team.

Calgary trades a player under control for an upcoming UFA. They get back the better player, but I don't think Calgary is looking for a rental in exchange for Bennett. (I could be wrong here).

Toronto gives up a player who is a great fit, loves the city and is arguably the better player, in a season where they look like a serious contender.

From the Leafs' perspective I suppose the hope would be that Bennett fulfills the "potential" that a lot of people still think he has - including me to some degree - I think he could be more than he is in a different situation. I actually would be supportive of trading for Bennett, but for futures, not an important piece like Hyman who the Leafs need. For Calgary, I really can't see any reason at all to do this other than they win the trade purely on value, but it doesn't make sense to me in terms of direction and contracts.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This doesn't make sense for either team.

Calgary trades a player under control for an upcoming UFA. They get back the better player, but I don't think Calgary is looking for a rental in exchange for Bennett. (I could be wrong here).

Toronto gives up a player who is a great fit, loves the city and is arguably the better player, in a season where they look like a serious contender.

From the Leafs' perspective I suppose the hope would be that Bennett fulfills the "potential" that a lot of people still think he has - including me to some degree - I think he could be more than he is in a different situation. I actually would be supportive of trading for Bennett, but for futures, not an important piece like Hyman who the Leafs need. For Calgary, I really can't see any reason at all to do this.

I honestly could see Bennet not being qualified and walking.

Reactions: axlrose87

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Full disclaimer, I have never been a huge fan of Hyman, regardless of his work ethic, and relentless puck pursuit (or the back to back 20 G's, since Connor Brown scored 20 in a lesser role with Tor)

to Cal
Hyman

to Tor

What does Brown having once scored 20 in 82 games 5 years ago have to do with Hyman’s value to the current team? He also put up his 20 goals last year in 50 games.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Andersen is leaving well before Hyman does. We're not paying an injury prone .900 goalie 5+ mil through his late 30s.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

to Cal
Hyman

to Tor
Calgary adds here but ...Bennett is attractive to the leafs .

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Andersen isn't injury prone, the Leafs just work him way too hard because they've had no faith in their backups over the years

He's had several groin injuries. It doesn't matter who's fault it is, once they start piling up, the next one comes easier. If a guy has 8 concussions, it doesn't matter if it's because his D kept feeding him suicide passes, he's a much higher injury risk than someone who hasn't had 8 concussions.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa

to Cal
Hyman

to Tor
Toronto fans not going to like this one bit

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Firstly, I don't see the Leafs wanting to move Hyman for this return.

Secondly, Hyman is from Toronto, and his family is heavily involved in the Ontario/Toronto hockey structure. Zero chance Hyman would allow this trade. He'd do everything in his power to veto the trade, and he has a NTC that allows him to submit a 10 team no trade list. Hyman's father has purchased entire hockey teams to ensure that Zach played for the Leafs. Hyman was drafted by the Panthers, who he flat out refused to play for.

Now that Zach is having success in Toronto, I cannot see him going for a trade for any reason. Money doesn't really matter to this guy. He'll retire a Leaf.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I would not be surprised if Hyman signed long term at a very friendly cap hit. His family are very rich and live in the GTA. He has in the past made it known he only wanted to play in Toronto. The market itself has been very good for his other interests such as writing children's books.

On top of this, even if the assumption is that Hyman did want a raise, he is still worth more than a player who was scratched this year.

Reactions: WillyNy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad