Proposal: Cal/Phi monster deal

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I like it for Calgary.

What is there to like about it from Calgary's perspective?

Our d takes a huge hit and we now only have 3 guys at an NHL level and 3 guys that will need a ton of sheltering.

We add Simmonds but either have no for him to play with (if he is on the 2nd line) or have no secondary scoring if he is moved to the top line.

I like Sanheim but with us trading away our 1st rounder this year it makes no sense to make deals for the future that make us worse this year.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
What is there to like about it from Calgary's perspective?

Our d takes a huge hit and we now only have 3 guys at an NHL level and 3 guys that will need a ton of sheltering.

We add Simmonds but either have no for him to play with (if he is on the 2nd line) or have no secondary scoring if he is moved to the top line.

I like Sanheim but with us trading away our 1st rounder this year it makes no sense to make deals for the future that make us worse this year.

I don't think that highly of Brodie, I don't think Sanheim is that big of a downgrade. Simmonds would look good on the Flames, and has some finish to his game.

Sanheim would be a pretty huge steal. Simmonds and Brodie aren't that far off in value.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't think that highly of Brodie, I don't think Sanheim is that big of a downgrade. Simmonds would look good on the Flames, and has some finish to his game.

Sanheim would be a pretty huge steal. Simmonds and Brodie aren't that far off in value.

Brodie is much better than Sanheim.

Simmonds would be a great addition to the team, but not at the price of losing Backlund (who I am not even a fan of). It would just move one area of weakness (top 6 wingers) to another (top 6 centers).

With Backlund gone we now have to put Bennett back to center and up to the 2nd line or boost a guy like Stajan up there. It makes zero sense for the Flames.

If they are trading a Hamilton or Brodie the top 6 needs to be totally solidified or there is no point in doing it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Backlund>> Sanheim. Backlund isn't a middle 6 C. He's a very good shutdown 2C who produces well.

Sanheim has top pairing two-way D ability if he reaches his ceiling. Thats worth more than a Backlund type.

Either way..Sanheim is worth more to the Flyers than Backlund based on our C situation.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Jankowski sucks, I would give him away for free if some team wanted him.

Good post. We might have to add a 1st to entice a team to him with that contract (925K). If Treliving ever gets fired, which he should for even handing out that contract to Janko, I will strongly back you to take his post.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Honest question then, why do you claim Jankowski sucks? He's a big center who has been improving lots every year, he has lots of skill and a wicked shot. Plus he's good in the dot and is only 23. He doesn't look out of place at all and I see him being a 50 point guy for us for a long time, maybe more.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Honest question then, why do you claim Jankowski sucks? He's a big center who has been improving lots every year, he has lots of skill and a wicked shot. Plus he's good in the dot and is only 23. He doesn't look out of place at all and I see him being a 50 point guy for us for a long time, maybe more.

He is a 23 year old that is in his first year in the NHL because he hasn't been good enough up until now. He has stats this year are very poor and even worse if you see that he has a majority of them in 2 games. Watching him he isn't creating, isn't very skilled, isn't very smart and isn't anything better than maybe average defensively. He doesn't look like an NHLer at all and is in the NHL based on his draft position not on ability or play.

People can come up with all the BS excuses they want about how he was a slow developer or whatever but the fact is he just isn't good enough.

There is nothing other than homerism to think that he can come close to 50 points in a season let alone "maybe more."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad