Proposal: Cal/Phi monster deal

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
hmmm it's not that bad but I still think Cal doesn't touch it. Losing Backlund and Brodie would be to much of a blow even if they get Simmons as a trade off.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
To Phil:
T.J Brodie, Mikael Backlund and Troy Brouwer

To Cal:
Wayne Simmons, Andrew MacDonald and Travis Sanheim

Maybe I drink too much!

Why ? Flyers already have offensive defenseman .Backlund doesn't do much for me either. Troy Brower just doesn't help the Flyers do anything and getting rid of Sanheim for that package just makes no sense.

Frickley

why am i watching this
Apr 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Where the flyers are it makes way more sense to deal Simmonds for young/future pieces rather than vets.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
No thanks from the Flames.

Fixes one problem (physical winger) but creates another (2ns line center).

Also the huge downgrade from Brodie to MacDonald isn't worth it for Sanheim when we don't have our #1 pick.

Also not really sure why Philly does it as Backlund is a UFA and Brodie is a nice upgrade but I don't think they need to upgrade the defense that much that they give up Sanheim.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Not sure why Flyers do this deal. If Flyers rebuild and looks like we are, Flyers should just trade Simmonds for a couple of picks and blue chip prospects. Not sure why Flyers would need T.J Brodie (we have young developing talent Provorov, Gost, Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Myers), Brouwer No need for him at all, Backlund would interest me but at what price? Maybe this is an even deal in terms of value but I doubt Flyers would want to go that direction.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I would trade Philly Bennett and their pick of our D prospects except Fox for Simmonds.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd definitely pass. Would love to add Simmonds, but this puts a massive hole in the Flames center depth. Calgary needs Backlund more than they do Simmonds.

As for Philly, I think they should just stick with the rebuild. Trade Simmonds for futures.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Not sure it works, but it's interesting. I like to read these kind of proposals.

Philly's bluelune would GREATLY benefit from swapping out MacDonald and Sanheim for Brodie. If Philly is confident they can get Backlund to extend, they should pull the trigger IMO.

Calgary should say no. Backlund and Brodie are hard to replace, and their biggest gain here is at wing. Their center depth isn't a position to move out Backlund. Calgary would need to be extremely confident in Jankowski becoming a 2C.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
To Phil:
T.J Brodie, Mikael Backlund and Troy Brouwer

To Cal:
Wayne Simmons, Andrew MacDonald and Travis Sanheim

Maybe I drink too much!

It's Simmonds*

As a Flyers fan, I can say I have no interest whatsoever in this proposal.

Sanheim is gonna be a hell of a player for us. Already starting to see it. Simmonds can return a 1st ++ in a separate trade.

Value wise going forward I would break it down like this..

Brodie = Simmonds
Backlund < Sanheim (middle 6 C have less value than mobile top 4 dmen on ELC's)
Brouwer =< MacDonald (wingers that dont score have less value than dmen, both contracts suck)

If Brodie was a righty, i'd definitely be interested in something around he and Simmonds though.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
For this Flyers fan at least, Sanheim is the least available asset in the entire org.

I don’t see a solo Simmonds match either because it would likely have to be around Bennett (no interest from me in him as a player) since Calgary’s other enviable high-end young Forwards are worth too much/unavailable.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
D prospects don't do much for us. Need a high end fwd prospect.. Bennett and a pick may do though.

Bennett is a bust at this point.

It would take Jankowski, but Flames fans are in love with him and might not want to move him.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Bennett is a bust at this point.

It would take Jankowski, but Flames fans are in love with him and might not want to move him.

3 Years of experience, age 21 and he's a bust. :rolleyes:

Because the flyers have never had a forward that they acquired 3 years in to their career who hadn't performed to expectations yet, but figured it out later in his career...

If only I could think of someone where that same exact situation applied.. hmmm.

Reactions: achdumeingute

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
One note on this deal - Hamonic + MacDonald have tremendous chemistry together. They were our top pairing for a while in the early-to-mid 2010s.

I know AMac has disappointed in Philadelphia and his contract is still terrible, but proven defensive chemistry is nothing to scoff at.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
One note on this deal - Hamonic + MacDonald have tremendous chemistry together. They were our top pairing for a while in the early-to-mid 2010s.

I know AMac has disappointed in Philadelphia and his contract is still terrible, but proven defensive chemistry is nothing to scoff at.
you can have him for free, take him PLEASE

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
It's Simmonds*

As a Flyers fan, I can say I have no interest whatsoever in this proposal.

Sanheim is gonna be a hell of a player for us. Already starting to see it. Simmonds can return a 1st ++ in a separate trade.

Value wise going forward I would break it down like this..

Brodie = Simmonds
Backlund < Sanheim (middle 6 C have less value than mobile top 4 dmen on ELC's)
Brouwer =< MacDonald (wingers that dont score have less value than dmen, both contracts suck)

If Brodie was a righty, i'd definitely be interested in something around he and Simmonds though.
Backlund>> Sanheim. Backlund isn't a middle 6 C. He's a very good shutdown 2C who produces well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad