Proposal: Cal/Phi monster deal

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Tell us why that is such a huge "if"

I would say for most prospect hitting their ceiling is a big if. The ceiling is the peak of their ability and for a variety of reasons most never reach that. When the ceiling is top pair two way guys (of which there aren't that many) I think it is quite possible he never reaches that. And that isn't being negative about Sanheim just the reality of prospects.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
came into the thread thinking that someone was trying to make some sort of gaudreau / provorov trade thread...have to say a little disappointed

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
He is a 23 year old that is in his first year in the NHL because he hasn't been good enough up until now. He has stats this year are very poor and even worse if you see that he has a majority of them in 2 games. Watching him he isn't creating, isn't very skilled, isn't very smart and isn't anything better than maybe average defensively. He doesn't look like an NHLer at all and is in the NHL based on his draft position not on ability or play.

People can come up with all the BS excuses they want about how he was a slow developer or whatever but the fact is he just isn't good enough.

There is nothing other than homerism to think that he can come close to 50 points in a season let alone "maybe more."
You'll be eating those words in the very near future.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You'll be eating those words in the very near future.

I would be a little more concerned if he was able to score in more than 3 of the 18 games he has played in.

Terrible player that adds nothing of value to the Flames.

NitHeel

Kimmo Forever
May 20, 2009
Reading, PA
I would say for most prospect hitting their ceiling is a big if. The ceiling is the peak of their ability and for a variety of reasons most never reach that. When the ceiling is top pair two way guys (of which there aren't that many) I think it is quite possible he never reaches that. And that isn't being negative about Sanheim just the reality of prospects.

Right, but the Flyers aren't a playoff team so they should/are looking to acquire guys with higher ceilings rather then packaging them with higher-end players (Simmonds) so they can get a 27 year old defenseman they hope to be as good or better then. In other words, the proposal is a fairly mediocre win now move on a team that's playing for the future.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
If the Flyers decide to trade Simmonds that signals a full blown rebuild unless they trade him for players rather than picks. Posters act as if it's eminent & Hex has to trade him now or lose him for nothing. He's signed to a very good contract until the end of 2019.
If (again that huge if) I'd like him filling out that Monahan/Gaudreu line but the ask would start with Bennett, the rights to Backlund (pending UFA the Flyers could afford to buy as UFA) for an early start but since the Flames have no picks in the top 2 rounds next year & only 1 in the top 3 the following it would have to be another young forward added just for Simmonds as the Flyers are loaded with young D.
Ain't gonna work to help both teams like good deals do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad