C William Nylander (2014, 8th, TOR) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I also found it funny when people were talking about him playing centre, he's 19 years old and getting top 6 ice time. I think he's done pretty well at centre, all it takes for a few of those chances he got to go in the net or his linemates to convert on his chances and he's got a couple of more points.

He isn't cheating offensively either. He could be a touch more engaged in scrums for the puck but that's what Babcock is here for and he'll help Nylander make adjustments to his game. Laich has also helped him as well.

He's not the second coming of Crosby but if he's a high end 2nd line centre, that's still a very good player.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Have you ever played sports before? What a ridiculous statement.

There's a difference between a skilled player and a skilled player with confidence. If you've played hockey, or any sport, you would know that.

It was an inside joke... And I didn't include the :sarcasm:

I mentioned confidence possibly being an issue with young kapanen and a select few posters on the leaf board went of their rockers as if confidence couldn't be a hurdle for a young talented player.

but I agree, confidence is huge and nylander has it.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Unfair to say he could be a good 3C next season?

I'm expecting him to be a good 2C at his peak.

You think his peak is a 50ish point center? lol...

edit: just realized you didnt even say a top 2C but just a good one. So a 45ish point player at his peak? lol x2...

snizzbone*

Potential #1Cs come around so rarely for an organization that I just don't see how you can be happy with one not reaching that potential.

This. Nylander has the tools to be a 70+ point #1 center. Even 60+ points is a "#1" now a days. A #2 is a 45-55p center at best and I don't see a scenario where that's all he ends up being.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
The kid is soooo talented.

But there have been moments in each game where he just drives me nuts -- MOVE YOUR FEET KID. Hes definitely a floater. Skates once he gets the puck and not a second before.

Nothing that cant be improved, but if he even moved his feet a little more and earlier in rushes, he could already be an effective top 6 guy.

Sigh, you can be a very effective player by not always chasing the puck. I have no doubt that this "floater" term will follow him for a long time, but it's not really true IMO. He places himself very well appositionally, and sometimes this appears to look like he's floating. What he's really doing is putting himself in a spot where he should be while either a linemate is doing the work on the boards (and he shouldn't be there anyways), or he's actively watching and getting ready to strip the puck from someone.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I also found it funny when people were talking about him playing centre, he's 19 years old and getting top 6 ice time. I think he's done pretty well at centre, all it takes for a few of those chances he got to go in the net or his linemates to convert on his chances and he's got a couple of more points.

He isn't cheating offensively either. He could be a touch more engaged in scrums for the puck but that's what Babcock is here for and he'll help Nylander make adjustments to his game. Laich has also helped him as well.

He's not the second coming of Crosby but if he's a high end 2nd line centre, that's still a very good player.

I know sometimes Leaf fans tend to overrate their prospects, but Nylander will be a 1st line player. It's ok to have high hopes for the young kids on our team. I think calling him a high end 2nd line C is not giving him enough credit. He has all the skills to be a 1st line C for sure. Let's just call it what it is. Being 19 and getting 2nd line minutes is pretty damn good. In the next year or so I fully expect him to reach 1st line ice time. He's too good not to be on the 1st line and it's a matter of when not if with Willy.

Mad Brills*

I wonder if a krejci type player is his ceiling.

Certainly possible.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
LOLOLOLOLOL

Claude Giroux is nylsnders likely future

so a top 5 offensive forward? Glad you have pretty low expectations. :sarcasm:

FYI in the last 5 seasons I believe Giroux is still the leader in points...in the entire league.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
haha I cant believe the Nylander thread is at VIII

Leaf fans are everywhere!!!!!!hahah

... anyways, I love your guys youth so far!!!

Mad Brills*

You do know Krejci had a 73 and 69 point season (and is on pace for 71 in 82 this season if not for injury). I'd say if Nylander is as good as Krejci you guys should be thrilled. Krejci is a good 1C.

yeah.

He won't be a superstar centre, but around the 15 range in the league.

NylanderBros

Jun 22, 2014
Sudbury, Ont
Man he's gonna be buzzing with Marner, Stamkos, Mathews, Kapanen, Kadri, can't wait to see the city of Toronto come alive next year. What a time to be alive.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
If he turns into Krejci that's a home run for the Leafs.
I doubt that he has the defensive skill of Krejci though.

Krejci doesn't have to do much defensively. Bergeron gets all the tough minutes. In fact, Bergeron over the past several years has had tougher minutes than any other forward in the whole NHL. Krejci is pretty damn sheltered. This is very easy to check, by the way.

In terms of Nylander, I think he's a 60-70 point player most years, and I'd be super happy with that. How can anyone be unhappy with that? The next tier above is Seguin, Malkin, Thornton, Backstrom type production - which is a rather big stretch for Willy. Krejci is a good comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad