C William Nylander (2014, 8th, TOR) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
How about some of his recent games (prior to this one) where he looked quite poor? In fact his game against Buffalo was about as bad as someone could play. It hasn't all been good. Let's relax.

what did I exactly say that would seem like I'm not relaxed or going overboard. Please elaborate

Shwaguy*

How about some of his recent games (prior to this one) where he looked quite poor? In fact his game against Buffalo was about as bad as someone could play. It hasn't all been good. Let's relax.

Relaxing is no fun.

Let people be excited.

Dude has franchise center potential (No, I'm not saying he's a sure thing for that) and is playing well of course people will be excited.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
what did I exactly say that would seem like I'm not relaxed or going overboard. Please elaborate
When you started giving him points that he didn't earn. Every good player that drives scoring chances could have fans saying "If only x would've score on that pass!"
Relaxing is no fun.

Let people be excited.

Dude has franchise center potential and is playing well of course people will be excited.
I haven't missed one of his games yet and I really don't think he's been 80% as good as this thread would suggest. I'm just trying to be realistic, perhaps even pessimistic (my leafs fandom is coming out).

Shwaguy*

When you started giving him points that he didn't earn. Every good player that drives scoring chances could have fans saying "If only x would've score on that pass!"

I haven't missed one of his games yet and I really don't think he's been 80% as good as this thread would suggest. I'm just trying to be realistic, perhaps even pessimistic (my leafs fandom is coming out).

I haven't missed one of his games either. The Hype from the more rationale posters who frequent these boards is definitely warranted. He's been as good as any of the Rookies he's constantly been compared too in this short stint. The super-elite level skill is blatantly apparent and his defence (Not physicality) has been pretty good, especially for a 19 year old rookie playing Center

Not saying you're irrational. But I mean like the Leafs fans who aren't the biggest homers on the planet.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

yeah your Leafs fandom is coming out because to be quite honest your comments are pretty sad...it's ok to be realistic but to say he hasn't been 80 as good as the comments on here. Nice random number there bud lol.

It's one thing to BE realistic it's another to go out of your way to bash posts to seem realistic or even as far as pessimistic..pathetic really.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Kessel was/is such a talent, how could you already forget? I'm not sure a fully developed Marner or Nylander will ever make a Kessel rush off the wing look quite as easy. With that said, Nylander as a C playing this 200 foot game is more valuable.

Not trying to deny Kessel's talent, just pointing out he's declined a bit and doesn't play a well rounded game. With the puck, on the rush, no question he's better than Nylander. Without the puck (in any zone), not so much.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
yeah your Leafs fandom is coming out because to be quite honest your comments are pretty sad...it's ok to be realistic but to say he hasn't been 80 as good as the comments on here. Nice random number there bud lol.

It's one thing to BE realistic it's another to go out of your way to bash posts to seem realistic or even as far as pessimistic..pathetic really.
Realistically, Nylander is still showing a lot of errors.

And that's all I'm saying.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Why? It goes directly against our interests, we want him out by Conf Finals.
Late first round rankings are so skewed that I have no concern we'll get our guy, or at least one of them.

Phil dealt with a lot here, it'd be nice to see him happy in the playoffs for once.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Why? It goes directly against our interests, we want him out by Conf Finals.

Well it barely makes a difference. Basically the difference picking between 26-30 and 22-26. If you go back through recent drafts it's becomes a crap shoot in the late 1st anyway. Count me in the camp who wants to see Kessel succeed in the post season.

About Willys comparison to Kessel I don't think there very similar players, but I would be a happy guy if Nylander ever reaches Kessels offensive peak.

Shwaguy*

Realistically, Nylander is still showing a lot of errors.

And that's all I'm saying.

Of course. But considering he's playing as a top 6 center (On/off since he's been called up with Bozie injury+Kadri Suspension) at 19 years old, he's making less errors than you'd expect out of that situation.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Phil's one of the biggest offensive talents in the game, would be happy if Matthews or Laine replicate Kessel's PPG numbers in their primes. Not sure the reasoning as to why his game fell off so much, but the elite talent is still there.

Not sure why he's being brought up here though. At Willy's age Phil wasn't playing a stop and start type of offensive game that made him such a goal scoring + playmaking threat later on, he would always rush down the wing and pull off a snapshot. Their play styles are worlds apart.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Late first round rankings are so skewed that I have no concern we'll get our guy, or at least one of them.

Phil dealt with a lot here, it'd be nice to see him happy in the playoffs for once.

Well it barely makes a difference. Basically the difference picking between 26-30 and 22-26. If you go back through recent drafts it's becomes a crap shoot in the late 1st anyway. Count me in the camp who wanna see Kessel succeed in the post season.

About Willys comparison to Kessel I don't think there very similar, but I would be a happy guy if Nylander ever reaches Kessels offensive peak.
Higher pick takes priority, I'll cheer for Phil if we don't make the playoffs next year. Difference between 24 and 30 is sizable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad